Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Constantine Interview with Venditti (ongoing writer)

Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

People...will not like this.

Nrama: Ah, so John Constantine will have a supporting cast? Is it mainly new characters, or will it be based on people with whom the character has been associated in the past?

Venditti: His supporting cast will primarily be made up of new characters. The series finds Constantine having settled in New York City as a way of separating himself from his roots. He doesn’t trust himself to be around the people and places he cares about because he has a tendency to bring death— or worse —to their door. So now he’s in America, and he’s trying to go it alone. Invariably, though, he’ll start to form new relationships, and how he handles that will be a major underpinning of the series.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

Could be good. I've barely read any of the Hellblazer stuff (just Jamie Delano's issues) so frankly, I'll have no bias going into it! I'll give the first issue a shot.

Contrary to Desaad's post, I like it.
    I don't really know this creative team but I looked up the artist and his stuff seems great.
    I like the Bar ideas, etc.
    Now all this comic has to do is hold my interest longer then two issues.

I always thought that Constantine was a really cool character, but never really read any Hellblazer stuff though. I might try this when it's out.
    "Welcome to the party pal!" - John McClane - Die Hard

I wasn't furious as many other posters about this series and I'm waiting the actual comic for the verdict, but New York? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    I wasn't furious as many other posters about this series and I'm waiting the actual comic for the verdict, but New York? Really?
    This is what I'm referring to, of course. Constantine is inextricably tied to London as a character, and I suspect many purists will hate this particular development.

That said, I understand the reasoning; ease of access to DC's superheroic lineup and events, and minimizing the amount of british culture the american writer has to familiarize himself with.

Why not? He can hang out with Hawkman and Static

I've always had an interest in the character and never gotten around to hellblazer so i'll go in with an open mind.

I can understand if some of this seems a bit off putting to the old fans though.

BANNED

I'm giving this a shot, but I hope they're not moving him to America just so he can team up with super heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    That said, I understand the reasoning; ease of access to DC's superheroic lineup and events, and minimizing the amount of british culture the american writer has to familiarize himself with.
    Is that a good thing though?

As a Brit, one thing I thought Hellblazer had over his main DCU appearences was that the Hellblazer Constantine actually talked like any Brit I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Is that a good thing though?

As a Brit, one thing I thought Hellblazer had over his main DCU appearences was that the Hellblazer Constantine actually talked like any Brit I've ever met.
    Within the confines of the fact that they picked an american writer I think it's a good thing, less to get wrong.

Speaking generally, no, I don't think it is a good thing, but that is who they chose to take the book on. I'm quite bummed they didn't raid 2000 AD instead of Valiant for their talent on this one.

Yeah I also think that's a major detriment, but I still will reserve an opinion after giving the book a fair chance. There's some really good things said by Venditti in the interview, but what most got my attention was this:

Nrama: What will be the tone of your comic? Is it a detective or crime noir kind of thing? Or more supernatural-based? Or more heroic-feeling? How would you describe it?

Venditti: I would say a combination of the first two more than the latter. I mean, Constantine is a lot of things, but he isn’t a hero by anyone’s standards, least of all his own. He’s very much a big-picture guy, and his focus in on the long term. When you’re dealing with forces of good and evil that stretch back to the beginning of time itself, you have to be that way.
    Now that I can agree with.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

............................................______ __
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?........................... ...........................\,
    .................../.................................................. .........,}
    ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
    .............../.................................................. .,:”........./
    ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\
    BB

Looking forward to this. Will give it at least one arc.