Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So, anybody have any guess on what Tim's "real" last name is?

So issue #0 of Teen Titans... isn't exactly the best origin story of Tim Drake in existence. A lot of it is agreed to pale in comparison to the story-arcs and miniseries that came before it, but some of it seems to have some honest inspiration. Making the Penguin, in his more modern cerebral bad-guy interpretation, Tim's origin bad-guy is much better than Obeah Man and does give him a big-league antagonist he will (hopefully) have some serious encounters with later. And while the instrument for Tim's orphaning/adopting/really-wierd-witness-protection thing is...stupid, it appears that DC editorial, not Lobdell, included a line that makes "Drake" an assumed last name for my favorite Robin.

So, since DC editorial decided to make the change instead of the usually frank and honest Lobdell, what do you guys think the reasoning was? And what name was he using before the name change?

I've got two theories about the 'why.'

The first is that someone down the pipe has a plan to expand Tim's familial connections, and the changed last name makes it easier to retcon someone into it. Some have hypothesized that we'll get a soap opera style reveal that Jason and Tim are related and the last name is Todd. I hope not, but it could happen if that was the intent.

The second is that editorial thought the witness protection scheme didn't quite explain how Tim could be safe, so they made the name change to try and aid his disguise. It does kind of add another level of uncomfortable deception to his interactions-Tim's never been all that open about his real identity, and now even if the Titans learn he's Tim Drake, there's still a bit of a lie there, which makes the masquerade all that thicker for Tim.

As for the name, beyond the possible though not hoped for "Todd" revelation, I kind of thought there was only a few reveals that would be really interesting. Maybe his last name's Cohen, tied to the future Batman from Hex as a tease to the audience. Maybe it's Napier or something like that if someone's nuts enough to try and tie the joker into his family. Any ideas?
    “There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis

For me, his name will always be Timothy Jackson Drake. Frankly I think all this editorial mucking about with characters' origins/real names (Tim was never Robin in the New 52? UGH) is stupid. But I digress.

I think it's mostly that they just wanted to leave it open, and its really the only way the witness protection angle makes sense.

As for him being connected to another character? Any bat character would be really cheesy, so if they really wanted to do something it I'd hope it would be a more unique character. Honestly the only character I'd be okay with him being related to would be Ted Kord, but was he even blue beetle in the new 52?
    Last edited by Whip Whirlwind; 11-29-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptupjr94 View Post
    For me, his name will always be Timothy Jackson Drake. Frankly I think all this editorial mucking about with characters' origins/real names (Tim was never Robin in the New 52? UGH) is stupid. But I digress.
    I'd agree with that, but I was thinking about this (whilst walking the dogs ) earlier and I think the way I *can* make it work is to have Tim's real name ne "Alvin Draper" (one of the identities he used pre-NEW 52!)

Cheers.

James.
    Any Dream worth Having Is A Dream worth Fighting For.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    I'd agree with that, but I was thinking about this (whilst walking the dogs ) earlier and I think the way I *can* make it work is to have Tim's real name ne "Alvin Draper" (one of the identities he used pre-NEW 52!)

Cheers.

James.
    Ha screw that, if we're going that route it has to be "Tim Sarcastic"

BANNED

His real name is probably John Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post

Cheers.

James.
    Eh, that wouldn't be too bad.

And if editorial really did make the change because of how wierd the witness protection thing was, than they'll probably just retell the story later or bring back the old origin. Otherwise, it's just kind of stupid.
    “There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by tiptupjr94 View Post
    (Tim was never Robin in the New 52? UGH)
    He was, just named himself Red Robin from the beginning since they couldn't squeeze his origin and the leaving Batman arc into one issue (#0). Still had pictures of him being Robin etc
    Comics I'm reading RIGHT NOW: Batgirl, Batman, Suicide Squad, Catwoman, Nightwing, Red Hood, Death Of The Family, H'El On Earth, All New X Men, Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Avengers Arena, Thor

Blake HYUCK HYUCK HYUCK

Can't believe no one said that yet

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    His real name is probably John Blake.
    Quote Originally Posted by HXHAlex View Post
    Blake HYUCK HYUCK HYUCK

Can't believe no one said that yet
    Like right there?

O'Neal, Adams or Wolfman. Wolfman sounds cooler

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Whatley

A lot of it is agreed to pale in comparison to the story-arcs and miniseries that came before it,
    Change "a lot" to "all," and yea, I agree.

but some of it seems to have some honest inspiration.
    Nah, not really.
    DC discarded their history, and now has none. DC will always be in the shadows of their past work.

Tim Todd is what I think. I gave a couple of reasons why i think this in another post. Did anyone catch Tim putting on a red Domino mask at the end of TT 14? Too many little things here and there have been tying the 2 together recently so theres a good chance its Tim Todd.
    Last edited by ryan2d; 11-30-2012 at 01:21 PM.