Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post

The other thing I think he has over Bay is that he seems to have affinity for the material rather than just being in it for the paycheck. But saying he's a step above Bay is kind of a backhanded compliment.
    Snyder at least tries. He fails miserably but he tries. While Bay makes hardly any changes on his work and is just doing it to milk off of whatever franchise he's directing
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Many Superman alien threats have been doing that.
    Cool. I'm not saying it can never happen. Just that for a character who has only had 5 movies, with only 2 -- arguably 3 -- of those even being slightly good, it's a little soon to start repeating.

Man of Steel is gonna be as good if not better than Batman Begins

Quote Originally Posted by Sirspidermonkey View Post
    So Warner Bros. is finally taking another shot at a Superman movie, despite the critical failure of the 2006 reboot Superman returns. So is this a 2nd attempt at a reboot? 1 would assume so.

How will they handle it this time? Did they learn from the mistakes in Superman returns? how will they handle the Lois / Clark relationship, Will the origin of Superman be re imagined? How will they handle the somewhat absurd secret ID of SM? Is there a Superman curse? Do you have high or low expectations for this film?

"I suggest you don't worry about this sort of thing and just enjoy yourself."
    Won 6 Awesome Awards, 2Cool awards, 2 internets, a Raging storm and funniest video award
    My RPG Site!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

"I suggest you don't worry about this sort of thing and just enjoy yourself."
    This. It's not officially out yet and theres no word of the mouth so untill then I'm keeping an open mind
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

What is the over/under for Zod saying, "Kneel before Zod" at some point in MoS?
    Zero. I've been following MOS very closely. Interviews, snippets, the whole shebang. You will not see one REFERENCE to Superman: The Movie. This version of Zod has zero campy-ness to him. Michael Shannon is beyond frightening and he said in an interview that the quote will NOT be used. One of the main goals for this film is to distance itself from the Donnerverse as FAR as possible and when they say that, they mean an entirely different character of Superman, his villains and story, but yet, still paying respects to the history and origin of the character being recognized. The other side of that goal, obviously, is connect to the people, be realistic and make the audience's jaw drop.
    Last edited by Tra-EL; 11-29-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    he said in an interview that the quote will NOT be used.
    Well, that's positive news, at least.

Well, that's positive news, at least.
    Here's an earlier interview:

Michael Shannon won’t say “Kneel before Zod” in Man Of Steel

Villain actor rules out return of iconic line
    Nov 6th 2012 By Matt Maytum

Man Of Steel’s villain, General Zod, will not be uttering the immortal line “Kneel before Zod”, actor Michael Shannon has confirmed.

In an interview with VH1, Shannon was asked about the line, and admitted, “I don’t say that in the movie.”

The three word put-down was made famous by Terence Stamp’s incarnation of the supervillain in Superman II.

Perhaps it’s a good idea that Shannon won’t be impinging on Stamp’s turf, as that piece of dialogue has become so deeply associated with that film.

It has also become the subject of much parody over the years, so it's possible the omission is a statement of intent - will Shannon’s Zod lack the grandstanding, scenery-chewing pomp of the comic-book movie villains of old?

Man Of Steel is directed by Zack Snyder, and stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams and Kevin Costner, and it opens in the UK on 14 June 2013.
    http://www.totalfilm.com/news/michae...n-man-of-steel

Quote Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
    Keeping in mind that this is WB, who almost seems to want their superhero movies to fail, and rarely seems to have a clue, my hopes aren't that high. Add in that Nolan seems to have a LOT of input here, and I get more concerned.

Yes, I know, Batman franchise and all. But I would point out that Batman isn't Superman, and Nolan, from all comments so far, seems to be approaching this movie with a Batman hammer. Nor was I all that impressed overall with the final two Batman movies. As for Batman Begins, I wonder why they didn't simply take Year One and make that.

But that aside, my main concern with Nolan is that I don't know if he can distinguish between the approach that works for Batman and one that works for Superman. Or that WB itself can, after their comments about making a GL sequel grimmer and grittier---that being the lesson they took away from the relative failure of Green Lantern, rather than they a sucky movie will tank.

I hope at the least that it will be technically amazing. It probably will. But that leaves the screenplay, which worries me, and the acting, of which I have no idea.
    Because Nolan can only make one type of movie, of course.

For the most part, I enjoyed Callum Blue as Zod on Smallville.

If Man of Steel can give us a Zod that is the next step in that character's evolution, then I'll be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Because Nolan can only make one type of movie, of course.
    He certainly seems to go in for that type. At least recently. Putting it another way, he seems to like darker themes.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

BANNED

Yeah I wish someone else was directing the movie...oh wait.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    That wasn't the story. The one you're talking about is "The Coming Of Atlas". But in that story, Krypto was already publicly known and accepted, when he was able to buy Clark time to figure out how to defeat Atlas. At the end of the story, the people cheered Superman for saving the day, but Clark got upset and said that Krypto was the one who deserved the praise.
    Oh. Never mind.

I vaguely recall Lois bitchin' about the dog at the beginning, and picking up the issue only because the cover was awesome. Guess I read it out of context. I took it as Krypto being under-appreciated until the chips were down. Or Milk Bones, in this case.

I'm not expecting much. It's a corporately driven production due to the lawsuit. Snyder is fair at best as a director, and given his fandom of Miller's DKR, he clearly does not understand Superman. The costume is predictable and horrid. The cast is good.

DC/WB is completely clueless with Superman so to expect the character to ever flourish again is wishful thinking, flukes like Morrison's stories aside.

Unless and until the lawsuits are settled and someone who respects Superman has power at WB/DC, the character will continue to flounder.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

If it's a corporately drivin production because of the lawsuit, then why waste time to completely reboot the franchise when they had a SR sequel to ride out? They signed Cavill on to three movies and continue to pimp a Justice League movie but why would they go to these epic announcements if they just let Superman flounder?

Guys like Ben Affleck down to off-set crews saw most footage of the film and commented on it as being incredible in the least of capacities and barely holding their tongue since they can't hide the excitement of the versatile nature of the direction.

That and executives carrying the Man Of Steel trailer attached to the Hobbit is already calling it the best superhero trailer ever made. The feel I'm getting from it, it's going to be the Summer's Blockbuster hit, but at the same time, be the sleeper of the year.