Page 20 of 269 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    Back in the office today after a two week vacation with Kat and the kids. We had a nice Christmas, got some skiing in and just chilled.

I'd be quite content to never work another day in my life. I think work stress is doing a number on my health - I'm having a tough time getting back into the swing of things.
    Do you mean that for 2 weeks no one was monitoring the Classics Board? We could have cursed to our hearts delight, use it to sell comics, reveal the ending of Amazing Spider-Man # 700 before it was released and other dasterdly deeds? You got alot of faith in us.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ish Kabbible View Post
    reveal the ending of Amazing Spider-Man # 700 before it was released
    I don't think that's an offence....although there are regulars here who buy the title...actually I'm trying to round up issues between Spider-Island and 699.1...I'll never understand the 0.1 issues but Morbius is in this one.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    I just sent some to a seller in Tuscumbia and got away from your 9% State tax.
    Excellent! The government would just waste the money (i.e. spend it on whatever the hell their vicious little Republikkklan hearts desire); I think so little of those useless pieces of crap that I refused to return my census form in 2010 because I wanted to deprive them of every nickel I possibly could.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 01-07-2013 at 08:17 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    There's no question that stress is the single biggest contributor to disease and poor health.
    Yes - my company has been in turmoil for the past 18 months. Nothing terrible financially - just acquired by a US parent company intent on shaking everything up. We've gone from 125 employees to maybe 75. I'm been smack dab in the middle of every project and I'm exhausted. What bothers me is that it is manufactured stress -- not like having a sick child or going bankrupt, just being constantly hounded by the powers that be.

Do you mean that for 2 weeks no one was monitoring the Classics Board? We could have cursed to our hearts delight, use it to sell comics, reveal the ending of Amazing Spider-Man # 700 before it was released and other dasterdly deeds? You got alot of faith in us.
    Actually - I have a new smart phone that interacts much better with the boards that my previous phone, so keeping an eye on things is much easier. I tend to leave major clean up until I'm back at a PC, but can deal with spammers, flamers etc... from my phone.
    Check out my new Movie Podcast! Married With Clickers

Check Out My Blog: Seduction of the Indifferent at Seduction of the Indifferent

Look for Scott's Classic Comics Corner at Comics Should Be Good

"I'll tell you right out--I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk"

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Are you saying that the already-generous stipend you receive as Classic forum moderator needs to be bumped up even more?
    Sure, why don't we look into doubling my pay.

Waitaminnit, my calcualtor must be broken, because it still comes up with zero.
    Check out my new Movie Podcast! Married With Clickers

Check Out My Blog: Seduction of the Indifferent at Seduction of the Indifferent

Look for Scott's Classic Comics Corner at Comics Should Be Good

"I'll tell you right out--I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk"

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    We've gone from 125 employees to maybe 75.
    Sounds all too familiar for all too many of us, I'm sure. I have no idea what our overall numbers are, but my own department numbered 8 employees when I started here 6 1/2 years ago; for the last year or so, we've been trying to make do with 3, of whom I'm (a) the youngest & (b) the closest to being even remotely tech-savvy. That's pretty sobering ... though if I'm lucky (knock wood), it translates into some sort of job security.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Didn't seem quite appropriate for the "What comic have you read lately thread, but I just finished Mars Attacks by Len Brown

This is an art book that reprints the original trading cards along with those that came afterward along with short notes by Len Brown about the genesis of the cards. There's a very nice afterward by Zina Saunders the daughter of painter Norm Saunders.

It's an art-book. The prose is sparse, but there's certainly some interesting stuff here. What's really amazing is the cultural impact the set had given the limited distribution of the set. Well worth a read and a lovely book at which to look.

The card highlighting a dog vaporized by a Martian ray-blast will live on in my brain till I die

The card highlighting a dog vaporized by a Martian ray-blast will live on in my brain till I die
    That card was originally a dog skeleton. But the higher ups made them add in a full-on dog being blasted. I can't see how that was supposed to be better. The protests of the set were interesting and is what led to it not getting a wide release.

It was distributed decently in New York City. I as well as some of my friends collected them. I wound up obtaining a full set back in the 70s. At some point I sold them but no longer remember the details of that transaction.
    There was an earlier controversial card set from the 30s called The Horrors Of War which I once saw at a convention.Much worse than Mars Attacks with children getting straffed by airplanes, hospital patients
    on fire, schools being bombed. Make War No More

It was distributed decently in New York City. I as well as some of my friends collected them. I wound up obtaining a full set back in the 70s. At some point I sold them but no longer remember the details of that transaction.
    There was an earlier controversial card set from the 30s called The Horrors Of War which I once saw at a convention.Much worse than Mars Attacks with children getting straffed by airplanes, hospital patients
    on fire, schools being bombed. Make War No More

It was distributed in New York and parts of the Northeast, but never got national distribution because of the controversy and the protests. They mentioned "The Horrors of War" set in the book. And the Civil War set that was done by Topps and Saunders not long before Mars Attacks that was at least as violent as M.A. But it was historical, so that's not as bad.

I was born about the time Mars Attacks was released. I'd heard of them growing up, and then fell in love with the awesome movie. I love Mars Attacks. It's a guilty pleasure, kind of like Godzilla, but I love em.

I've seen that same book and am going to get it.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    But it was historical, so that's not as bad.
    I thought the opposite. Mars Attacks was fantasy.The Horrors of War and Civil War cards were realistic scenarios. Only things missing were the Rape of Nanking and Nazi experiments on concentration camp prisoners. The mind boggles on man's true depravity

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Sounds all too familiar for all too many of us, I'm sure. I have no idea what our overall numbers are, but my own department numbered 8 employees when I started here 6 1/2 years ago; for the last year or so, we've been trying to make do with 3, of whom I'm (a) the youngest & (b) the closest to being even remotely tech-savvy. That's pretty sobering ... though if I'm lucky (knock wood), it translates into some sort of job security.
    My most recent company, whom I've really loved up until last month, was great. Then I didn't make my quota for November and had my salary revoked ! and I didn't find out until there was an deposit. Whatever, so I just hired on yesterday with a company in the senior care industry as a care advisor helping families to decide the best options for their loved one. I'm excited about it and it'll be great to help families like that. I've had experience helping my parents with my grandmother and my wife's grandmother.

I've been in sales all my life and am good at it. If a company gets twinkie, like the last one did, I leave. That kind of behavior is not acceptable.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

I thought the opposite. Mars Attacks was fantasy.The Horrors of War and Civil War cards were realistic scenarios. Only things missing were the Rape of Nanking and Nazi experiments on concentration camp prisoners. The mind boggles on man's true depravity

Seems that from the point of view of the highers up and the parents historical violence is OK. Fantasy violence turns you in to juvenile delinquents.