Page 47 of 269 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast

I was on the telephone talking to friends last night. But wished I hadnít because a friend started talking about a new person he is in love with (that he met via the web) and stupidly I offered my opinion (which was, to the effect that I don't want him getting his hopes up and getting hurt.) Naturally he was defensive but the thing is he has never talked to this person he is in love with in person (he has made plans to meet in person twice but each time the proposed meeting came to naught.) Yet he feels this 'connection' with them (all of which reminds me of the MTV series 'Catfish') Its a weird situation because it seems to play out so much via the web these days where people are falling in love with complete strangers and all attempts to meet in person are met with excuses. I suggested to my friend, if the person is playing games with him is it really wise to want this person? Honestly, I should have bit my tongue and not said anything because I forgot the number one rule when it comes to relationships; when people are talking about them, just listen, don't offer your opinion because it usually just makes you look like you don't support them.

I'll be spending part of this weekend organizing and pricing books for a show in Buffalo later this month. After that, I may start putting stuff up on eBay.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    From http://www.moneyfactory.gov/small1denom.html :

ēThe first use of George Washington's portrait on the $1 note was on Series 1869 United States Notes.
    Thanks Rob, I wasn't too sure if individual States had their own notes around that time.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

nice interview about robert crumb and record collecting

http://matsgus.com/discaholic_corner/?p=2048

"...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

Nice article..anyone on here collect LPs or records ( I know dan bailey has 100s as he's said before). At the flea market today there were no fewer than 5 vendors with just records for a buck a piece but who knows if they work

Turns out Anderson Cooper was a big Kamandi fan.
    "I don't care if they have definite connections to the boy scouts. They have Weapon X - I want him back. We spent a lot of money and resources developing and training him - not to mention your group as well - I won't see it thrown away."
    - Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, April 1979

Unfortunately, Wolverine escaped to the U.S. with the X-Men. Soon after this stunning debacle, Trudeau's Liberal Party would go down to defeat in the May 1979 election.

Quote Originally Posted by mrc1214 View Post
    Nice article..anyone on here collect LPs or records ( I know dan bailey has 100s as he's said before). At the flea market today there were no fewer than 5 vendors with just records for a buck a piece but who knows if they work
    I've got four melon crates full of LPS, but don't know how many that is. I'd guess I have about 75 records (I'm guessing you mean 45s). Also a big stack of 78s, maybe about 20 EPS (all from the fifties, mainly Elvis), probably 100 cassettes, and Lord knows how many CDs (I've probably got 50 of Steve Earle alone. Ditto Jeff Beck , and the same with The Byrds/Gram Parsons.)

I did ditch my Eight Tracks and player a few years back.

And yet I'm listening to the radio right now. :)
    Landis: You Cherokee Jack?
    Cherokee Jack: Yah. Ah'm Cherokee Jack.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

This is really the DC Variant cover for Green Lantern 19...

They're having WTF Month...expect the unexpected

1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

probably 500 7"s and 300 lps but its a revolving door policy. one in one out.
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

I have become in recent years the custodian of my late parents' record collection, including a respectable stack of 78s. The LPs are a pretty eclectic mix of country, swing, jazz, easy listening and, surprisingly, comedy (Bill Cosby, Flip Wilson, Moms Mabley... holy shit, my folks were into black comedians! I never realized that before!). Several once-deluxe boxed sets from the Longines Symphonette Society are a big part of the soundtrack of my childhood, thus my knowing all the words to such forgotten classics as "I'm Just Wild About Harry" and "Hallelujah, I'm A Bum." Alas, nobody around here has had the time or know-how to clean up these old albums (they spent more than a decade in a storage locker) but one of these days...

Cei-U!
    I summon the musical memories!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

( I know dan bailey has 100s as he's said before).
    Probably around 1,000, though of course it's hard to say, & I'd say maybe 600 7"s & 300 or so 12" singles & EPs ... even though I probably haven't acquired more than 5 of any of those in the last, oh, decade or so. *sigh*

(That *sigh* isn't over my lack of acquisitions the last several years, but rather over how damned many of the things I have. And when you add maybe 3,000 CDs &, I dunno, 400 cassettes, it's just ridiculous.)
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

What's are some of everyone's favorite album covers? I like a lot of the old Yes,Kansas, Aerosmith albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    Alas, nobody around here has had the time or know-how to clean up these old albums (they spent more than a decade in a storage locker) but one of these days...
    As long as they've been kept in their sleeves they'll be fine - same as a bagged comic. Just a soft cloth to wipe then good to go.

If a wipe isnt going to clean them - dirt and dust lodged in the grooves - then there will be a VPI service near you http://vpiindustries.com/main_cleaning.htm - its usually a few dollars a record or the method i prefer http://andrewdubber.com/2010/07/gluing-my-records/

its slow but incredibly effective (and really cheap)

why no lps dan?

What's are some of everyone's favorite album covers? I like a lot of the old Yes,Kansas, Aerosmith albums.

its not brilliantly executed but seeing an archaeopterrix flying through the andes always lodged itself in my head.

I'm increasingly worried about my friend in hospital. He's been so distant lately (not just with me but with the staff who try and help him). I know he's been through a traumatic experience (several actually) with the operations but I think by holding so much in, emotionally and psychologically, he could be impeding his own chances of recovery. Personally speaking, I think part of him has just given up, said its too hard, and he wants to be left alone. The latest is that he has several months left in hospital and then he needs to find somewhere else to stay for the foreseeable future. If he's worried about it, he's not showing it (he was more concerned with watching a crime drama on TV when we last talked). Somebody was supposed to bring in some newspapers for him too but they didn't show up. I told him I would be more than happy to bring him newspapers and magazines but he doesn't want me to do it. So its somewhat frustrating and I worry about how all of this is going to play out long-term?