Page 37 of 271 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    But whose side is Lancelot Link on?
    I could be wrong, but I'm guessing he's not on my side....
    One lab accident away from being a super-villain

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Mon View Post
    I could be wrong, but I'm guessing he's not on my side....

I'm guessing you're right.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

At the bookstores I visit it’s been a mixed experience lately. Some sellers have been upset to discover the collections they thought were valuable and worth a lot of money aren’t and have as such been depressed and angry about that. The problem is there are too many collectors and because the market is flooded with them people can afford to be choosy. I talked with one collector not so long ago and he had a really amazing silver age collection. I had expected he would get high prices for everything but he didn’t. In fact the price he eventually got was way below even the minimum price he anticipated. At the stores I donate comics to many of the older comics appeal to the adults (especially the eBay sellers who tend to swoop on anything that has value) whereas children, especially teens tend to prefer the more current published comics. As for my friend in hospital he rang last night while I was asleep. I was told he’s moved somewhere else but doesn’t have the phone number so maybe he’s moved out of hospital and into a full care aged facility?

Have been up most of the night reading comics and I think the paper quality for current comics (DC) is worse than the paper they used decades ago. Any visit to a LCS shows the comics on the racks go through a lot of wear and tear. The spines in particular are prone to creasing.

Just watched Blade Runner for the first time ever today (I know, I know. Inexcusable to have waited this long).

One thing that surprised me about the film was how much influence it seemed to have on Batman: The Animated Series. JF Sebastian, the toy maker, was clearly the prototype for Karl Rossum, the inventor who created HARDAC, and further investigation reveals he was even the voice for that character.

Beyond that, though, Pris seems like a clear prototype for Harley Quinn.

Are these connections commonly known?

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

I don't think I'm any more (or, possibly, any less) superstitious than the average person, though the fact that I totaled my '75 Fiat back in 9/80 on the 13th anniversary of my father's death (not that I knew that for several more years) has certainly given me pause to think more than a few times. In any event, learning yesterday that fairly drastic layoffs are in the offing here because of the stupid looming sequestration in D.C. (I'm not a government employee, but the nonprofit I work for is largely funded with federal dollars), then receiving my paycheck today with a pair of 13s in the total (the amount varies by a few cents every time), hasn't done a whole lot for my state of mind.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Just watched Blade Runner for the first time ever today (I know, I know. Inexcusable to have waited this long).

One thing that surprised me about the film was how much influence it seemed to have on Batman: The Animated Series. JF Sebastian, the toy maker, was clearly the prototype for Karl Rossum, the inventor who created HARDAC, and further investigation reveals he was even the voice for that character.

Beyond that, though, Pris seems like a clear prototype for Harley Quinn.

Are these connections commonly known?
    Karl Rossum was probably based on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.U.R.
    Landis: You Cherokee Jack?
    Cherokee Jack: Yah. Ah'm Cherokee Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee Jack View Post
    Karl Rossum was probably based on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.U.R.
    The name certainly is. Rossum's Universal Robots was the template for our modern day concept of robots, but I actually went back and watched those HARDAC episodes again, and the similarities with aspects of Blade Runner are uncanny, from calling the robots "duplicants" (as opposed to "replicants"), to the follow up episode where Batman suddenly realizes he's been a duplicant all along.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I don't think I'm any more (or, possibly, any less) superstitious than the average person, though the fact that I totaled my '75 Fiat back in 9/80 on the 13th anniversary of my father's death (not that I knew that for several more years) has certainly given me pause to think more than a few times. In any event, learning yesterday that fairly drastic layoffs are in the offing here because of the stupid looming sequestration in D.C. (I'm not a government employee, but the nonprofit I work for is largely funded with federal dollars), then receiving my paycheck today with a pair of 13s in the total (the amount varies by a few cents every time), hasn't done a whole lot for my state of mind.
    The idiots in Congress will be forced to hammer something out, just like in the 90's. The American public won't stand for it.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

hi dan bailey. I think in my lifetime (or our current generations) many people will find themselves out of work. Like anything there are a myriad of reasons for this being the rise of computers and better technology but also to try and boost falling sales/profits. I think in my lifetime many companies that once looked so solid and lasting will disappear. When I was visiting a suburb recently that I used to frequent several years ago, I was surprised, a little shocked at how many stores had now disappeared. And they used to be very popular stores. But shifting demographics and online shopping has seen many places close and as a result many people have lost their jobs.

Once again Washington is heading for crisis, this time the looming sequestration. Of course the politicians bicker and argue, and many deeply aware that any support or lack thereof for spending cuts could be deeply unpopular and affect them are reluctant to agree or disagree so the blame game continues. Of course it’s low-income families and the poor who will be hit hard. But also working families who will have to scramble to make up the cuts to funding programs they relied on.

Having a nice quiet day. Took more photographs with my new digital camera. It has a lot more functionality than my previous camera but because it doesn't come with a manual its somewhat bewildering to use but I seem to have got the hang of the basic functions (which really are the only ones I need to take photographs). I'm not the most comfortable around cameras. As a child I hated them. If I saw a camera, any camera, I would hide. These days I am more comfortable with using cameras and though its rare I let my photo be taken if its somebody I trust.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Jeeeez....expedited shipping from Canada is US$34.95 once an order crosses $250.00...apparently that's paypal policy folks.

I get some solace from knowing there are only 4 in the world...
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I live .

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

He lives .
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!