Page 34 of 271 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast
    Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

To quote Will.I.Am featuring Britney Spears...

I WANT TO SCREAM AND SHOUT AND LET IT ALL OUT

One back issue Spidey released within the past 2 years has become harder to find than the Ditko variant of Spidey #700. What is frustrating is...I found 2 stores which had a single copy of the book listed in stock and when I ordered it...BOTH STORES COULDN'T FIND their copies. So I got refunds and one store sent me something free for the mishap in listing a book which was not in stock after all.

I can't believe it. I only have one copy and that is unsatisfactory.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

What book is it? At least you have one copy why do you need two?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron King View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw it in theaters. It's popular enough to warrant a dance.
    Seeing it in theatres is hardcore. That's where real men see it.

Aaron King you utter legend for that youtube link - for some reason Weekend at Bernies 2 has far more random importance amongst the people I know (and me sadly) than it really should have - but this video takes it to the next level.
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron King View Post
    I hereby request a nuclear strike on the South. Sure, I'll be included in the swath of destruction, but I figure that's a small price to pay.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 02-11-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dr chimp View Post
    Seeing it in theatres is hardcore. That's where real men see it.

Aaron King you utter legend for that youtube link - for some reason Weekend at Bernies 2 has far more random importance amongst the people I know (and me sadly) than it really should have - but this video takes it to the next level.
    Thank you for the praise. A small suggestion if you intend to "move it like Bernie"--lamps and the like become party fodder when everyone's staggering around with their heads back and their arms out. Careful.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I hereby request a nuclear strike on the South. Sure, I'll be included in the swath of destruction, but I figure that's a small price to pay.
    lunacy. go and watch weekend at bernies 2 then tell me the south doesn't know the score.
    Last edited by dr chimp; 02-11-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

I'm going totally Doctor Who geeky, getting excited about the 50th anniversary, watching classic Who (we've watched the "best of" the first four doctors chronologically, and we're now starting on Peter Davison), ordering IDW's Doctor Who Classic Omnibus, and so on. Perhaps the oddest decision (from a financial standpoint) is that I've started getting into Big Finish Audio productions of Doctor Who. I know from your avatars, if nothing else, that some of you are Whovians.

Does anyone else listen to Big Finish's Doctor Who full audio dramas? I'm partway through listening to #1: The Sirens of Time (multi-doctor), and I've also downloaded #14: The Holy Terror (C. Baker), #29: The Chimes of Midnight (P. McGann), and #153A: "Mary's Story" (S. McCoy). I also downloaded AudioGo's unnumbered Martha's Story, a Tenth Doctor adventure narrated by Freema Agyeman (instead of being a full-cast audio drama like Big Finish's).
    Last edited by Polar Bear; 02-11-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr chimp View Post
    lunacy. go and watch weekend at bernies 2 then tell me the south doesn't know the score.
    Unfortunately, that would require me to watch the movie.

I prefer my cinematic dead to be lethal & ravenous.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Cei-U! Thank you for what you wrote. My friend is in his seventies.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrc1214 View Post
    What book is it? At least you have one copy why do you need two?
    When there are limited copies available of an incentive or variant edition, eg 1,000 - 1,500 copies...I like to own multiples. I have the regular edition, but I collect certain variant editions too.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Was thinking about my friend in hospital tonight and how so few people have contacted him. I know it bothers him but he doesnít really open up much about what he is feeling emotionally though a couple of times he has cried with me, for which I am grateful as he knows he can just drop the facade with me and be himself. I think thatís really important because so often in life people feel they have to suppress what they are really feeling and put on a show. Pretend to be something for the sake of appearances. Iíve always thought thatís kind of pointless but people do it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    zryson, I don't know if my experience will be of any use to your friend as our situations are quite different but here goes:

I've been a quadraplegic my entire life (though because I have no spinal damage, I'm not a quad by the strictest medical definition). I was able to walk a bit in childhood thanks to extremely painful leg braces but I've never been able to use my hands. I use an electric wheelchair for locomotion and I'm typing this holding a homemade wand--a length of plastic tube culled from a clothes hanger and tipped with an eraser--in my teeth. Nonetheless, I graduated third in my class, earned a degree in art from the University of Washington, drew briefly for Marvel (never published, thank god), had a great 13+ year career in information technology and, although sidelined for the past decade by degenerative disk disease, I still work intermittently as a writer about comics history. I have a supportive family and oodles of loyal friends, some going clear back to nursery school. Although I'm single currently (and happy to be so), I've been involved with half-a-dozen women over the years and, yes, when I say "involved" I mean that we were sexual partners. So while a lot of people have let their handicaps grind them down, I have always faced life head-on and pretty much on my own terms.

Of course I never had to face the situation your friend is going through (the psychology of those born with a disability is significantly different than those who start out able-bodied and acquire theirs later) but I hope my story will inspire him. Life can go on despite quadraplegia and it can be awesome. I take it you guys are young (in your '20s, right?), which means he could potentially have decades of fulfilling experioences ahead of him IF he can get past the initial feelings of bitterness, self-pity and isolation. With a good friend like you to encourage him, the battle's already half won. I wish him all the best.

Hope that helps a little.

Cei-U!
    I summon the fighting spirit!

Wow! Holy cow, I am shocked. I often come to the CBR classic forums just to see posts by Cei-U!; because, he has good encyclopedic trivia on comic books. The Christmas lists are fun too. Thanks to the internet, I never would have guessed that you were a quadraplegic. How were you able to draw? Some time ago, I thought you posted some pictures that were quite good. How many words can you type a minute? Sorry for the questions, just amazed at this news.

Anyways, always like the comments and kernels of information that you provide on comic books.

Was talking with a professional earlier who visits youth in detention facilities when it occurred to me maybe donating comics to them would be a good idea? But I have to wait as the rules at the facility are very strict so I wonít know until I see them again whether itís okay?

Heard of a wonderful experience earlier so wanted to share. A woman was housed at a mental health facility. She had been there a number of years. But she got better and was able to make a good life for herself. To show her thanks she ended up donating a stack of old comics and magazines (pulp, silver age) to the place where she had been staying. Needless to say they were extremely grateful.

Had a good time at the stores today. Visited one store which had 2 for one dollar in the back issue range. Saw a couple of cool looking digests too but didnt purchase those since the writing is so small plus the spines arent always so good on the thick digests. But cool to grab a couple of nice bronze-copper age issues for next to nothing prices.