Page 29 of 271 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast
    Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Can someone tell me why do certain Omnibus editions sell for several hundred dollars each? I've seen this on both eBay and Amazon and in some instances, like Punisher, it's easier and less costly to get the original comics in NM. My entire run of PunisherMAX (1-75) cost me about 0.75-1.00 each in NM. What are these sellers thinking, or what am I missing?
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

My understanding is that people get into a bidding war, which drives the prices up. Also some people dont research the item they are purchasing. If somebody tells them its rare or HTF (hard to find) then a percentage of people believe them. But like anything with proper research and shopping around you can find the same item much cheaper. Its just that some people buy the item right away with the 'gotta have it' thinking.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    Can someone tell me why do certain Omnibus editions sell for several hundred dollars each? I've seen this on both eBay and Amazon and in some instances, like Punisher, it's easier and less costly to get the original comics in NM. My entire run of PunisherMAX (1-75) cost me about 0.75-1.00 each in NM. What are these sellers thinking, or what am I missing?
    Well, I wonder the same thing about most high-price comics that don't have an outstanding historical value. I'm sure it all comes down to two factors: how desirable an individual book actually is (remarkable contents, rarity), or how much money one expects to make when the book will be resold (informed speculation, as on the stock market).

I am impressed by how fast some Omnibus accrued value over the last few years. And it's true that they are beautiful things. For my part, I'd much rather have a quality omnibus than the individual issues it contains (especially when we're talking about post-2000 comics); it reads better, looks better on the shelf, and just looks more valuable than a pile of floppies.

Now why it is that, say, the first Bendis Daredevil hardcover is worth a lot more than the following ones, I have no clue. But it sure looks like there's a market developing here. (I considered getting the Invisibles massive omnibus just so I wouldn't say "Damn! shoulda woulda" a few years from now when it reaches a thousand bucks on EBay. But then again, it might be worth as little as a mint issue Howard the Duck #29).
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    And it's true that they are beautiful things. For my part, I'd much rather have a quality omnibus than the individual issues it contains (especially when we're talking about post-2000 comics); it reads better, looks better on the shelf, and just looks more valuable than a pile of floppies.
    I agree they look good, one of my colleagues at work has never seen one and is only familiar with Essentials so his birthday present is going to knock him out

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Well, I wonder the same thing about most high-price comics that don't have an outstanding historical value. I'm sure it all comes down to two factors: how desirable an individual book actually is (remarkable contents, rarity), or how much money one expects to make when the book will be resold (informed speculation, as on the stock market).

I am impressed by how fast some Omnibus accrued value over the last few years. And it's true that they are beautiful things. For my part, I'd much rather have a quality omnibus than the individual issues it contains (especially when we're talking about post-2000 comics); it reads better, looks better on the shelf, and just looks more valuable than a pile of floppies.

Now why it is that, say, the first Bendis Daredevil hardcover is worth a lot more than the following ones, I have no clue. But it sure looks like there's a market developing here. (I considered getting the Invisibles massive omnibus just so I wouldn't say "Damn! shoulda woulda" a few years from now when it reaches a thousand bucks on EBay. But then again, it might be worth as little as a mint issue Howard the Duck #29).

I wonder how many of them actually sell at those prices. I see a lot of this on Amazon marketplace particularly with both the mentioned books and with a lot of strip reprint books. However, the fact that they're placed there for sale at that price doesn't mean anyone is actually paying those prices for them. As far as I know it doesn't cost them anything to put the book up on the Amazon Marketplace. They only pay if the transaction is completed. So if the seller really doesn't care if the item sells or not, they aren't harmed by putting a ridiculous price on it and hoping someone is willing to pay it.

I watched that happen with IDW Terry & the Pirates books while they were out of print for six months to a year. But as far as I could tell nobody was really buying them at the $75 - $100 price point. And as soon as the books came back in to print the prices dropped precipitously.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    There seem to be some serious OCD people out there who just love having loads of identical looking volumes on their shelves and are happy to pay a premium for having that uniform look.

Check out the omnibus thread on the Marvel board - it's probably gone 1600 pages in a year - people are very hardcore about them
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

Everyone report to your nearest virtual-reality simulator!

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.metafilter.com/124457/VR-Valiance
    Dr. Robin Rosenberg, a clinical psychologist and expert in the psychology of superheroes, has conducted a new study showing that having people fly like Superman in a virtual-reality simulator makes them act more heroic in real life.

http://psychablog.blogspot.com/
    http://www.drrobinrosenberg.com/psyc...uperheroes.php
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0055003
    http://theweek.com/article/index/239...ke-a-superhero
    --
    Rob Allen

Visited some stores earlier. One of the best was packed with books and comics. From the outside it doesnt look like much at all but inside its pretty much crammed wall to wall. Took awhile to sort through the comics but even then I only got to sort through maybe a few boxes. Saw all types from DC to Marvel, to Golden Age (with War comics, and weird creature type of comics), to Phantom, Garfield, British DC, also stack of old Walt Disney, Archie, etc. I wasn't too sure initally of what to buy as I was tempted by some of the Golden Age comics and Walt Disney but I ended up buying some old Phantom comics I liked the cool of. On the plus side they were bagged too which is nice considering they barely fit into the Silver Age comic bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Everyone report to your nearest virtual-reality simulator!
    Loved the links! Thanks.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dr chimp View Post
    There seem to be some serious OCD people
    Ah, but without these disturbed individuals, all sorts of cynical enabl- ... uh, I mean, enterprising entrepreneurs would be out of business.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

i'd read your post but unfortunately i am strictly a garamond underlined 17.4 point man.
    "...so Hitler sends Iron Jaw's son to America to get revenge on Crimebuster." S.H.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

I generally have very vivid & offbeat dreams (like the one two nights ago about the brain of the great-aunt of more or less raised me being transplanted into the head of a raccoon, with Ty Cobb's personality somehow being incorporated as well ...), but they very rarely involve comics characters. I'm still trying to parse last night's, though, in which Superman, to prevent Batman's secret identity from being discovered by villains (or something like that), hurled him to the moon after wrapping or encasing him in some sort of protection against the friction of Earth's atmosphere & then the coldness & airlnessness of space. Once Batman arrived there, though, lo & behold here came Sgt. Fury & the Howling Commandos, flying through the air. At which point Batman wound up back on Earth, where Robin unmasked him to reveal ... someone I can't remember, but it wasn't Bruce Wayne.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I generally have very vivid & offbeat dreams (like the one two nights ago about the brain of the great-aunt of more or less raised me being transplanted into the head of a raccoon, with Ty Cobb's personality somehow being incorporated as well ...), but they very rarely involve comics characters. I'm still trying to parse last night's, though, in which Superman, to prevent Batman's secret identity from being discovered by villains (or something like that), hurled him to the moon after wrapping or encasing him in some sort of protection against the friction of Earth's atmosphere & then the coldness & airlnessness of space. Once Batman arrived there, though, lo & behold here came Sgt. Fury & the Howling Commandos, flying through the air. At which point Batman wound up back on Earth, where Robin unmasked him to reveal ... someone I can't remember, but it wasn't Bruce Wayne.
    It sure beats dreaming of arriving at the office naked.

Which I never do, by the way. My own recurring bad dream is that as I pull back in my car, the brakes refuse to work. I have no idea what that means.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

My recurring dream is that I'm in a huge auditorium, a thousand times bigger than any I've ever seen. It looks huge and glorious and has an eternal feeling of being timeless and yet I approach it from the side and sort of circle towards the back only to find the whole thing is a huge monumental hoax held together with chicken wire, 2x4's, etc. I'm astonished and gasp and wake up.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

I watched SUITS on USA Network last night and of all the things to dream....LEWIS! I'm naming my new Rottweiler pup after him.