Page 25 of 271 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Heard on the weekend two children grabbed a stack of comics from charity that I had donated. I think that's really cool. Hope they enjoy them.

That's great zryson ! Nothing is greater than inspiring a child to read and, more importantly, learn to love to read. I think comics are the perfect form for that.

Jez, do you have a shop ? I guess I didn't know that.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Hi hondobrode I agree about comics being the perfect medium because they have brought me so much happiness and to be able to give that back to the wider community so men women and children can enjoy them is a humbling experience.

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

Cooking some chili with deer meat. Mmmm Mmmm perfect for this cold weather we have. And something about this batch is particularly great. Not sure what I did different other than maybe a bit more paprika and cumin, since I didnt level the measuring spoon. But damn its good.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

Deer makes awesome summer sausage too.

Saw my Doctor today and they aren't doing well emotionally. To me there is something heartfelt when a professional can allow themselves to show that side of themselves. Often I find its too much the other way, they become steely, detached etc. So I like that they can show that side of themselves to their patients because it shows that everyone has a breaking point and a vulnerable side.

That's true, but mine would never do that. He's concerned but part Vulcan, methinks. Good doctor, though.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    That's great zryson ! Nothing is greater than inspiring a child to read and, more importantly, learn to love to read. I think comics are the perfect form for that.
    The children in question are probably budding Chuck Rozanskis & are posting the comics on eBay even as we type.

Might as well kill them now, I suppose.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I had no idea deer concerned themselves with such things. I'm having a hard time seeing Bambi in a butcher's apron, personally.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I had no idea deer concerned themselves with such things. I'm having a hard time seeing Bambi in a butcher's apron, personally.
    His mom died, so he had to learn to cook for himself...
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Jez, do you have a shop ? I guess I didn't know that.
    Not a shop, but I do a bit of retailing and often link up with my dealer. He trusts me with all his new books and they are sometimes stored over at a place owned by me and Mr Jez. My own personal inventory is usually never more than a longbox full and I look for things I can turnover fast. Both Amazing Spidey #700 and Superior Spidey #1 made me some decent cash...
    Last edited by Jezebel Bond; 01-22-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Indeed it does. If there is one advantage to living iin this state that we do, is there are plenty of hunters to do the deed I have not the stomach for. Deer and duck happen to be two of my favorite meats that could replace ground beef and chicken.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by adam_warlock_2099 View Post
    Indeed it does. If there is one advantage to living iin this state that we do, is there are plenty of hunters to do the deed I have not the stomach for.
    As an extra added bonus, these subhumans occasionally shoot each other, too.

-- Reptisaurus!

Yeah I am a bit of a hypocrite. I can't kill but I will reap the rewards of killing. And it's really cheap to process. Last season a coworker shot me a doe and I got 80 pounds of meat (ground, steaks, backstraps, a roast and sausage) for about $100.

Hi Dan, its not the kids at the charities you have to watch out for rather the more aggressive adults who tend to snap up everything in sight and then re-sell the comics on eBay. Seems they really liked the look of those Silver Age comic books I was donating and it got so bad that a few of them were quite verbal about them and demanding any that came in be put away for them and nobody else. When some of the staff pointed out they cannot do that some of the eBay sellers took it up with management. Anyways, long story short, I've now given away thousands of comics everything from some Golden Age right through to Modern Age. The adults tend to prefer the older material while the kids prefer more current titles. That's what I hear anyhow. For myself its good to get rid of things I no longer want to keep. I'm not much into clutter, nor have I ever been really. And I find that if I have no use for an item its best to get rid of it so it can perhaps find a new home and a new audience who will appreciate it.