Page 18 of 271 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Can I say I hate anesthesia. Just woke up from sleeping off the effects of the anesthesia from a minor test/ out-patient procedure this morning. Everything is fine but I hate that weird groggy feeling.
    I call that sensation "morning."
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I call that sensation "morning."
    Touche! Touche!

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

And today, I passed 1,000 Archie comics...with my oldest being a 1946 PEP
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Visited some comic stores in person. Saw that the racks containing the latest issue of ASM (#700) and associated issues have sold out. Heard some sellers have been purchasing 50 copies of each (no doubt for them to resell at high prices to a public desperate to not miss out on an historic issue and what they believe will be a valuable one). Visiting stores is still a nice experience. Like browsing the racks and hearing what's hot and not.

The local shop I visited on New Year's Day still had plenty of copies of ASM 700, and you could get them at 25% off with the sale they were having. For a widely publicized and huge print run book like this I really doubt it will hold much value in the long or even medium term.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewP View Post
    The local shop I visited on New Year's Day still had plenty of copies of ASM 700, and you could get them at 25% off with the sale they were having. For a widely publicized and huge print run book like this I really doubt it will hold much value in the long or even medium term.
    Maybe not the regular edition...I only kept 2 copies...whereas I'm sitting on 10 of the Midtown variants (sold 6 others so far...with 4 pending)

I don't care for the second print...horrible cover....

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

MatthewP i agree with you. I got annoyed slightly sometimes by some of the people who snap up 50 copies of one issue because that means other people visiting the stores to enjoy an issue miss out. Its just greed basically. Also there's so much speculation driving the sales. So that pushes up demand because people who wouldn't otherwise buy ASM 700 panic and then thinking it will be worth a lot of money try to source a copy for themselves, so some fall prey to ebay sellers who have no qualms about ripping people off and charging huge amounts for the issue.

I really like Spider-man and did want to get a copy of #700 (normal copy is fine) the other day when I had money for comics.

Then I realized how many old $1 books I could get for the same amount and went with that.

I fully expect to find copies of #700 at Half Price Books very soon. Multiple copies of the Obama issue ended up there quickly too. I still didn't buy that one either though...
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

I'm sure copies will begin circulating in the bargain bins within time. It reminds me of the DC New 52. I missed out on some of the issues when they sold out rapidly due to lots of press and speculation flooding the market and then half a year later many of them began turning up in the bargain bins at a fraction of the original cost. Its the same with many graphic novels and one-shots. Often I cringe at the original price and think well for the same cost its not really worth it because for one comic I could buy multiple comics so I just put it off and be patient and sure enough the comics I want turn up later in the bargain bins.

It reminds me when I visited a store with a family member last time. They sat opposite me as I went through stacks of comics and occasionally I would hold up an issue to show them, saying this is the one (Superman #75) that many people thought would fund their retirement or kids college fund. Or Spawn #1 (which at the time was a very hot issue) or the time DC killed off Robin and stores limited buying to one comic per person due to demand. It sort of puts it all into perspective but of course you only get that with time and hindsight. When the issues first come out, and are hot, many people get caught up into the speculative/buyers market and thinking they have to have it at any cost otherwise they will miss out and never get another opportunity.

I was at Midtown Comics in Manhattan on Weds. On the racks they had at least 25 copies each of various covers and and 5 copies each of a few exclusive covers. So I'm estimating about 150 copies just on the racks alone. They also have 2 other stores in Manhattan. I give it 4 months and its value will slide back down.

Meanwhile....

Just felt like posting Muppets and classic art...
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

Had a great day. I went to see Life of Pi with my two nieces (mom was babysitting) and while at the cine complex, we observed a character trying to break into someone else's car. My niece alerted mall security, they cornered him, he tried to fight back and got a whoop ass. By then a small crowd had gathered so we weren't too conspicuous. It was almost as good as seeing Richard Parker in 3D.

Not to be outdone, one of the UK's comic stores (Limited Edition) has its own exclusive cover to Superior Spider-Man #1...thanks to my walking dead posse over there, we've managed to get (through preorder) 40 copies...albeit piecemeal fashion. I like this cover though...it's going to be available at the London Super Comic Convention too (my brothers will be there yay!!) Hope this title impresses because Avenging Spider-Man is lukewarm at best.

Last edited by Jezebel Bond; 01-04-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    When did Spider-Man start wearing Tabi boots?
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."