Page 17 of 271 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
    *choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    I haven't paid attention to this silly title in decades, of course, but when did Spider-Man start using strings of Cheerios for webbing?

(Is product placement involved? Lord knows, Quesada is an absolute whore when it comes to money.)
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 01-01-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I haven't paid attention to this silly title in decades, of course, but when did Spider-Man start using strings of Cheerios for webbing?

(Is product placement involved? Lord knows, Quesada is an absolute whore when it comes to money.)

Those are actually just really, really long friendship bracelets that Johnny Storm made for him.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I haven't paid attention to this silly title in decades, of course
    When did you 'give up' on it? I'm assuming you used to actually get 12c-15c covers as soon as they were on the stands.

I didn't pay attention to anything 90s in this series until the new ASM series started in 1999 or so. That and Ultimate Spider-Man piqued my interest. Eventually, I came across a big deal on eBay that got me about 150+ issues from the early 500s straight up to 650s for a fraction of the cover price. But I still don't really care for the McFarlane era.

Some of my more seasoned friends hate the whole clone issue saga and only read more recent books with a baggage of skepticism...then, in contrast, we have about 75 regulars who hate to read anything before the 90s...kinda balances out.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

700 is the end of Amazing... for now.

Guarantee they'll roll Superior into Amazing's numbering when they bring it back eventually.

For those that might not know, Peter's consciousness and Otto's switched bodies, so Otto is now the Superior Spidey. Pretty clever actually, but I'm sure Parker will be back.

The Michelinie / McFarlane issues were ok but not great IMO. That's the first the character was interesting since Stern / JR Jr IMO. Later on JMS got me fired up again, despite the whole Goblin / Gwen controversy.

As far as the Clone Saga, I've never read the whole thing, but thought it was a fantastic idea that got exploded way out of hand by having management and editorial milk it mercilessly and over-complicate it to the nth power of incomprehensible.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    When did you 'give up' on it? I'm assuming you used to actually get 12c-15c covers as soon as they were on the stands.
    A long, looooooong time ago ... probably around #85, though the last issue I distinctly remember buying off the spinner racks was #79. Those ishes would coincide with my first, almost-complete leavetaking from comics circa 1970, & when I started back up about 4 years later I bought very few flagship Marvel (& even fewer DC) titles.

Not sure if I bought another ASM ever again, though I do recall picking up the first couple of Spectacular Spider-Mans, & a few years ago I bought the very fun, out-of-continuity Amazing Spider-Man Family/Spider-Man Family during their short runs.

I do remember that a friend of mine had #100 & the rest of the "6-arm Spidey" issues, & when I read those, even at the advanced age of 11 I was appalled at their sheer stupidity.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

With ASM 700 once again history is repeating itself as speculators flood the market snapping up what they believe will be an historic and very value issue. Its quite staggering that people time and again repeat the same patterns.

hondobrode I agree with you. I just wish I knew what was happening with my friend in hospital? I have called them but they say nobody by that name is staying there so I have to be patient and wait for him to contact me. A friend just returned from holiday and his mother, who is 88years old is in hospital with an infection. Its just common health woes as somebody gets older sadly.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    With ASM 700 once again history is repeating itself as speculators flood the market snapping up what they believe will be an historic and very value issue. Its quite staggering that people time and again repeat the same patterns.
    I'll say...can't believe I got over 20 of these for $12 and people are paying over $300 for it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPID...item3ccda5666f

Although I just got an email from a buyer and I sent him that link and I'm getting $250 smacks tomorrow...
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Hi Jez, I'm not surprised some people are paying so much for the issue (ASM 700). Often history repeats, and we have seen in comic circles similar things happen with other issues. Like when Superman died, the new DC 52, etc. It usually starts off with the issue selling out quickly and then people panic, and the panic drives them to make snap decisions and it drives the prices up, particularly when something is sold via an auction. Its like a frenzied shark feeding, all the potential customers trying to outdo their competitor for the ultimate prize.

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

Some people have money, doesn't mean they spend it wisely, intelligently or with any thought to the future.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

The Ditko variant (1:200) of ASM 700 has copies going for over $1200 on ebay. I haven't seen the art myself, but I have heard it is Ditko's unused cover for AF #15 (which I remember they included in the issue of Marvel Tales that reprinted AF #15 plus an early Ditko Doc Strange story. It's a great cover, bit not a $1200 cover for me.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

If people are that stupid -- clearly, they are -- then they're just down on their hands & knees begging to be exploited, & I suppose they should be accommodated.

After which I suppose the most constructive thing to do would be to arrange for a competency hearing, secure a judgment of non compos mentis & arrange for some sort of drastic therapy in a very secure facility.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 01-01-2013 at 07:38 PM.

-- Reptisaurus!

A fool and his money...

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    A fool and his money...
    Stop monitoring my computer! That order I just submitted to Lone Star barely exceeded their $50 free-shipping threshold, dammit, so it's not like I'm spending the cats' inheritance hand over fist or anything.

-- Reptisaurus!

Can I say I hate anesthesia. Just woke up from sleeping off the effects of the anesthesia from a minor test/ out-patient procedure this morning. Everything is fine but I hate that weird groggy feeling.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco