Page 13 of 269 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

2012 is almost over and looking back I have a better understanding of myself. Of why I like the things that I do and why I react and have fears about other things. I feel slightly more confident in my own voice too and now I realize that just because a person might be older or more experienced does not mean their opinion is more valid than my own. So that's a positive in my book. Purchases-wise, I was way down on previous years so that's another positive.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I've always tried to be an open book here, but obviously that's just not enough for you people.
    You are, and it's penciled by Tony Tallarico and inked by Vinnie Coletta.

A coworker of mine had vaguely mentioned having an Archie cover hung in her apartment. Since she knew my interest in comics, I assumed this was a poster, a color mockup, or something similar. A bunch of us got together at her place before going out to the theater this weekend, though, and I'll be damned if she didn't have a framed Dan DeCarlo hanging in her entryway.

It's a Betty & Veronica with Veronica driving a forklift full of presents, Betty walking beside her. I can't find it on GCD at the moment, but anyway, it was really cool to see in person. I was amazed at how sure the inking looked even at full size. I usually expect the lines to be a little more fuzzy or unfinished before artwork is scanned, shrunk, and colored, but the inks on this thing looked perfect.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prince hal View Post
    You are, and it's penciled by Tony Tallarico and inked by Vinnie Coletta.
    As long as Frank Robbins isn't involved, I'm good.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    As long as Frank Robbins isn't involved, I'm good.
    He's on the back-up feature, Nick Fury and his Geek Commandos.

The last few nights I've been watching a DVD called Somewhere In Dreamland-Fleischer Studio Color Classics. 33 color cartoons from the makers of the original Popeye,Betty Boop and Superman. These all date from the 30s to the early 40s. Gorgeous hand made animation, imaginative,funny,inventive. And marvelous voice work. I've seen a few on TV way,way back but most were new discoveries for me. These cartoons are not remastered but the quality is decent. And somewhere in the animation is the work of a teenage Jack Kirbybefore he tried his hand at comics. Highly recommended

Guess who just landed the assignment of writing a detailed history of the Avengers for an upcoming special issue of Alter Ego devoted to that team's 50th anniversary? Here's a hint: his initials are

Cei-U!
    I summon Earth's mightiest heroes!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    Guess who just landed the assignment of writing a detailed history of the Avengers for an upcoming special issue of Alter Ego devoted to that team's 50th anniversary? Here's a hint: his initials are

Cei-U!

Congrats. Though I don't envy you for some of the periods you'll have to cover (The Crossing, teen-age Tony Stark, etc).
    One lab accident away from being a super-villain

Something for the holidays...

"If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

Cei-U!

Good to hear, Kurt.

Cei-U!
    That's cool! Congrats Kurt
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

Cei-U!
    Awesome. I'm sure you have it covered, but if you need anything researched, let me know. I have a complete run of Avengers (up to the beginning of the Bendis period, that is), WCA and Solo Avengers as well as probably 500+ issues of crossovers, mini-series and solo appearances by various members. I'm not sure I have everything Avengers related, but I have just about everything up through about 1990 at least (with the exception of one or two prose novels from the 70's. I do have The Avengers Battle the Earth-Wrecker though).
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Mon View Post
    Congrats. Though I don't envy you for some of the periods you'll have to cover (The Crossing, teen-age Tony Stark, etc).
    Actually the article will only cover the first ten years (1963-72) so I dodged those bullets.

Cei-U!
    I summon the "phew!"
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Cei-U!
    Congrats. Will this include new interviews? If so ,anyone beside Roy Thomas?

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Actually the article will only cover the first ten years (1963-72) so I dodged those bullets.

Cei-U!
    I summon the "phew!"
    Figured so, considering AE's period of focus.

Congrats!
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!