Page 11 of 269 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member

oops - hit "reply" too soon - meant to add: Anyone familiar with a band called The Horrors? I haven't heard anything of theirs but Cat's Eyes is a duo, one of whom is the singer from that band. The other is a singer and multi-instrumentalist named Rachel Zeffira. I'll probably be checking out The Horrors since I like Cat's Eyes so much.

What's the first Dead Cowboys album called? I couldn't find anything on allmusic other than a band of that name categorized as pop/alternative, or something like that.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Just woke up from a post-dinner nap, but I think the Horrors are/were a British band whose first LP came out maybe 6 or so years ago. Pretty decent, IIRC, though offhand I'm damned if I know what they sound like. I'm sure I could do worse than to drag that one out & give it a listen; fortunately, it's part of the 40 percent or so (through the beginning of "M") of my CDs that I've actually managed to get shelved. Cat's Eyes I'll definitely have to audition.

The Dead Cowboys' first one was Comings & Goings, on some local Liverpool label. The second one, Twin Evil Stars (on the sterling, mostly reissue LTM label), is even better; I rate it as the single best album of these last 10 years, in fact. Not, of course, that I would ever be able to resist a CD that starts out, "I used to dream of flying/But now the Earth dies screaming" (a great line even if one doesn't know that "Dream of Flying" was the B-side of the Room's great Lovecraft-titled "Things Have Learnt to Walk That Ought to Crawl" 45).
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 12-12-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Veteran Member

I see that emusic, where I buy most of my downloads, has both Dead Cowboys albums so I might just take a chance on one of them.

If you do & don't like it, Cei-U! will cover your costs.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Veteran Member

heh heh, don't think that'll be necessary. I'll probably sample them a bit on youtube before buying.

Which is what I was just doing with stellstar*'s first album. Pretty good on first listen, except for the song "Untitled" which I thought was really outstanding.

Have done all my Xmas shopping as of today. Bought myself a couple of action figures and some comics. Nothing extravagant, very modest in keeping with my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    If you do & don't like it, Cei-U! will cover your costs.
    Say what?

Cei-U!
    I summon the implausibility!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

It's only money, man. Get into the holiday spirit!

-- Reptisaurus!

It's only money, man. Get into the holiday spirit!
    Bah, humbug!

Cei-U!
    Howzat?
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

I've been listening to a lot of good music lately, and thanks to berk and Dan Bailey -- I have now added The Horrors and stellastarr* to that list. I downloaded stellastarr*'s "Harmonies for the Haunted" and was pleasantly adored with mucho skullcandy. Same with The Horror's, "Skying" -- they have this 80's sensibility to their sound that I had been longing for. Thank you both for the recommendations!

In return I'll offer a few fantastic recommendations of my own.

Real Estate - Days: This is probably the best album I had the pleasure of listening to this year. Real Estate has this real mellow, lo-fi sound that is just addicting. If the Beach Boys and Fleetwood Mac had kids, this is probably what that would sound like.

The Raveonettes - Observator: This duo from Denmark continue to blow me away. I really don't know how to describe them, but if you like your melodies sonically lo-fi with a ting of heavy feedback then check them out.

Wild Nothing - Nocturne: Amazing album, and very well produced. More lo-fi, dreamy shoegazer stuff. Reminds me of Echo & The Bunnymen or The Church.

CFCF - Continent: If you dig electronic music, listening to this album is a must.

The Soundtrack of our Lives - Behind the Music: I recently discovered this band by accident, and their first album is on heavy rotation at the Gravity pad. I've since heard a few of their newer albums and have been equally impressed. Very underrated outfit here.

One last thing: I've been using the Xbox Music Pass which is $9.99 a month to download any album in it's database. It's music lover's heaven, as I can just log in and listen to or download any album I want, transfer it to my mp3 player and head off into dreamland. If you cancel then you lose everything that you had downloaded, but I can easily justify spending that small amount on what seems like an endless collection of music!

I've got most of the Raveonettes' stuff, as it happens, & I second the recommendation, Brian.

Are you familiar with another male-female duo, Cults? Very evocative of the early '60s girl-group sound.

-- Reptisaurus!

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gravity View Post
    IReal Estate - Days: This is probably the best album I had the pleasure of listening to this year. Real Estate has this real mellow, lo-fi sound that is just addicting. If the Beach Boys and Fleetwood Mac had kids, this is probably what that would sound like.
    Wild Nothing - Nocturne: Amazing album, and very well produced. More lo-fi, dreamy shoegazer stuff. Reminds me of Echo & The Bunnymen or The Church.
    The Soundtrack of our Lives - Behind the Music: I recently discovered this band by accident, and their first album is on heavy rotation at the Gravity pad. I've since heard a few of their newer albums and have been equally impressed. Very underrated outfit here.
    Great releases! I'm stuck between those and Blouse's s/t, Hospitality's S/T, and Beach House's Bloom

Horrors and Stellar are fantastic too! Really enjoyed Horror's last album, Skying.
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 12-14-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gravity View Post
    I've been listening to a lot of good music lately, and thanks to berk and Dan Bailey -- I have now added The Horrors and stellastarr* to that list. I downloaded stellastarr*'s "Harmonies for the Haunted" and was pleasantly adored with mucho skullcandy. Same with The Horror's, "Skying" -- they have this 80's sensibility to their sound that I had been longing for. Thank you both for the recommendations!

In return I'll offer a few fantastic recommendations of my own.

Real Estate - Days: This is probably the best album I had the pleasure of listening to this year. Real Estate has this real mellow, lo-fi sound that is just addicting. If the Beach Boys and Fleetwood Mac had kids, this is probably what that would sound like.

The Raveonettes - Observator: This duo from Denmark continue to blow me away. I really don't know how to describe them, but if you like your melodies sonically lo-fi with a ting of heavy feedback then check them out.

CFCF - Continent: If you dig electronic music, listening to this album is a must.

One last thing: I've been using the Xbox Music Pass which is $9.99 a month to download any album in it's database. It's music lover's heaven, as I can just log in and listen to or download any album I want, transfer it to my mp3 player and head off into dreamland. If you cancel then you lose everything that you had downloaded, but I can easily justify spending that small amount on what seems like an endless collection of music!
    I've got most of the Raveonettes' stuff, as it happens, & I second the recommendation, Brian.

Are you familiar with another male-female duo, Cults? Very evocative of the early '60s girl-group sound.

I third or fourth the Raveonettes.

Real Estate sound like my kind of thing.

Will look out for Cults. Speaking of male/female duos, any Damon & Naomi fans here?

Soundtrack of Our Lives are even better live than they are on cd, if you ever get chance to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by berk
    I third or fourth the Raveonettes.

Real Estate sound like my kind of thing.

Will look out for Cults. Speaking of male/female duos, any Damon & Naomi fans here?

Soundtrack of Our Lives are even better live than they are on cd, if you ever get chance to see them.
    Wow, had no idea The Raveonettes were that well known around these parts. Impressive! They really are one of my favorites. Denmark and Sweden (Soundtrack of Our Lives) sure are turning out some of the best music. If you haven't heard The Raveonettes christmas album, "Wishing You A Rave Christmas", well now's the time. They made their own christmas song called "Christmas Ghosts" which has become one of my favorites. Check it out:

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre
    Great releases! I'm stuck between those and Blouse's s/t, Hospitality's S/T, and Beach House's Bloom
    I will definitely check out Blouse and Hospitality. And I agree Beach House's Bloom is equally as amazing.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Beach House is one of those few bands that get exponentially better with each release.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!