Page 9 of 270 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    This makes me wonder...do they not have in-store bakeries at any of the grocery stores thereabouts? Because most of the grocery stores here have bakeries and do donuts. Now, most of them aren't that great, but one of the locally owned stores has really good donuts from their bakery.
    They do, but the selection is poor at best, and seemingly obsessed with jelly, which I'm not fond of. And the taste just isn't the same.
    One lab accident away from being a super-villain

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    How are the banana-flavored donuts?

Heavenly, I'm sure.
    Obviously I wouldn't know, since I've seen through their veil of evil. Oddly enough, Krispy Kreme did occasionally have some sort of banana donuts, which I'm not sure if my wife and daughter actually liked or just got to taunt me.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Mon View Post
    Obviously I wouldn't know, since I've seen through their veil of evil. Oddly enough, Krispy Kreme did occasionally have some sort of banana donuts, which I'm not sure if my wife and daughter actually liked or just got to taunt me.
    Precisely what prompted my question.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Speaking of straight outta Yoknapatawpha County, sometime around noon tomorrow I hit the road for Shreveport & then my hometown in Arkansas for the Christmas party at my sister's nursing home. (She's Down syndrome & nowhere near able to live on her own; she's been there since mid-'83, having accompanied my mother there after the latter was diagnosed with terminal cancer.) Normally a friend accompanies me, but she's been sick all week (beginning midway through a trip to the CDC in Atlanta, of all places ... too bad they can't do anything for a really bad cold) & isn't up for it.

Which means, among other things*, that I won't have access to her cell phone (last time this sort of thing happened, in 12/06, she lent it to me, but she's since ditched her landline), so about 90 minutes ago I broke down & bought the cheapest cell phone known to Radio Shack. The minutes cost twice as much as the phone.

I feel unclean. More than usual, I mean.

(Hmmm ... haven't showered today, come to think of it.)

*such as not being able to share the driving.** A 1,000-or-so-mile round trip used to be pretty much a walk in the park for me -- I made very close to that every weekend or two for several months while I was living in Little Rock & my then 2nd-wife was still in New Orleans, & for that matter I made the equivalent drive once in a single day for the Christmas party back in 12/88 -- but that was then.

**which also means I'll lose several hours of reading time while I would've been riding shotgun. Dammit!
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 12-06-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I don't understand why some people pay higher prices for lower grade comics from sellers when if they did their own research they could purchase higher grade issues for lower cost? But I see a lot of people doing things like that on auction websites.

Have continued sorting through boxes and plastic containers and drawers for more things to donate to charity. One of my friends think its stupid to donate so much because the people won't appreciate the items like I would but I disagree. People comes in all shapes and sizes and with different backgrounds and experiences so I don't think you can say that everyone won't appreciate something the same way you would. Because I remember when I gave some old comics (silver age) to a guy who lived locally (just up the street from where I do actually) and he was thrilled to bits that I gave away so many old comics. But part of the reason of giving things away is also about letting go. Letting go is very hard, sometimes impossible for people. At the end of the day, they are just items and I don't see the point of being a slave to the item.

Was hoping to get some action figures from a local charity store today but they don't have any. It's sort of odd in some ways as the charities get tons of fluffy toys but not so many action figures. Its the same with comics. Few of them get comics aside from people like me giving them away, but they get tons of jigsaws. I'm still on the lookout for replacement furniture. Ideally some drawers, and cabinets. Just in small scale would be nice. So hopefully by early next year I will be able to find something suitable.

I was talking with a friend of mine a couple of days ago about the toys we grew up with and how the toys he buys for his kid suck. We had good toys, with pieces that break off and we can put in our mouths and choke, and things that were cool. We had these:

now he buys toys like this:

While an Ipad for kids is pretty cool, there's something more exciting playing with something a bit more dangerous.

Am I getting to be 'old man Dubip' or are kids today having cooler s**t to play with and missing out experiencing the enjoyment of playing with stuff?
    Last edited by DubipR; 12-07-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

Quote Originally Posted by DubipR View Post
    Am I getting to be 'old man Dubip' or are kids today having cooler s**t to play with and missing out experiencing the enjoyment of playing with stuff?
    There are still plenty of cool toys for kids. You just have to actually buy them instead of sticking the kid in front of the TV or computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    There are still plenty of cool toys for kids. You just have to actually buy them instead of sticking the kid in front of the TV or computer.

Got to say I have been a little jealous about how cool some of the toys for kids are now, compared to when I was a kid. But I shut my inner child up by occasionally buying him a new toy (action figure, whatever) or some comics.

Here's what I don't get. Around 1980, Micronauts and Shogun Warriors action figures were affordable and made of die-cast metal. Now, Transformers and Marvel Super Heroes toys are about the same relative price, but made of chintzy plastic instead of metal. Why are we paying the same amount for less quality?
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Here's what I don't get. Around 1980, Micronauts and Shogun Warriors action figures were affordable and made of die-cast metal. Now, Transformers and Marvel Super Heroes toys are about the same relative price, but made of chintzy plastic instead of metal. Why are we paying the same amount for less quality?
    Same question I'd be asking if I were still buying comics.

Polar Bear - that's a good question! It reminds me when I bought a VCR years ago. It was (the VCR) on top of a large shelf and I thought oh god, it will be really heavy so I braced myself for the weight but the VCR was extremely lightweight. Years ago, if you bought a VCR before then it was very heavy. But many things arent built nearly as good as they used to be. I see it with furniture at charity stores sometimes. The woodwork will be very ornate and solid whereas a lot of the new furniture in stores is very light and hollow. Its the same with toys too. Most of them are churned out and have defects, sloppy paintwork, minimal articulation, etc.

Had some delicious banana cake earlier. The cake was just moist enough that the spoon was able to scoop it up with just the smattering of the smallest crumbs. And the frosting on top completed a very nice meal.

Made my final trip to the bookstores today for the year 2012. Was it worth it? Yes, I bought some nice stuff. The downside is that I had one of my fainting spells which isn't so good.