Page 6 of 270 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Chatted with a fellow collector earlier. It was somewhat chaotic as they were all over the place conversation wise but basically they have tens of thousands of comic books and magazines and action figures. The mind sort of boggles at the things they told me but wow it sounds quite the collection.

Having a nice quiet morning. I honestly used to loathe the silence when I was growing up, because it seemed deafening but its actually quite relaxing. Or maybe I have just mellowed in my old age? Or perhaps a little bit of both?

In 3 weeks the world as we know it is supposed to end. So does anybody really believe it? Or know somebody that does?

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

We should be so lucky.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I read today that Disney lost their appeal of a lawsuit of over $300 million for hiding profits from Do You Want To Be A Millionaire from the show's creators. Marvel employees getting royalties (if any?) please take note

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    In 3 weeks the world as we know it is supposed to end. So does anybody really believe it? Or know somebody that does?
    A family friend of mine is of this mindset. I think he sees it more as a catastrophic event than the out-and-out end of the world. He has food and water stockpiled, I think. I wonder if it'll come as a big blow to him if everything stays the same.
    All-Star Western, Casanova, Criminal, Daredevil, Dark Horse Presents, Funnies, Hellboy/BPRD, King City, Orc Stain, Snarked, Unwritten, Usagi Yojimbo

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    If it lets me sleep for another 2 or 3 hours more, let the world crumble.
    "If you live among wolves you have to act like a wolf."

I've met people who do think the world is going to end. Not necessarily this year but many have a dire mindset when it comes to the future. Cant say I blame them really. This century certainly hasn't embodied the promise I thought it would. But I sort of look at it like the half cup full analogy and hopefully things can only improve from here on up. That's my wish anyways.

I don't think I've come across anyone who treats the Mayan calendar thing as anything but a big joke.

On the other hand, I live in a area with a very large Mormon population. They've more than a bit of an apocalyptic bent. A whole passel of them are convinced that "the last days" are very close.

When I was a wee lad I remember watching the Rod Taylor movie The Time Machine where it predicted 1968 would be the start of World War 3. The old DC comic series Atomic Knights from Strange Adventures predicted the same
    In the 70s there were many articles in magazines from esteemed scientists about the coming Ice Age
    In the 80s many of those same scientists were warning us of the disappearing ozone layer and we would be incinerated
    We all remember the Y2K scare and how all computer systems were going to crash
    Nostradamus predicted that this decade would bring Atomic Warfare between the West and the Middle East
    Mayan predictions, Global warming,Fiscal cliffs yada,yada,yada

Have not heard anything further from the collector I contacted. It's hard to say if they are genuine or not because when it comes to collectors some are more honest than others. It reminds me of one collector I used to have contact with. They specialize in low grade comic books. Often buying them cheap and then reselling them to a gullible public for sometimes four times as much. It’s odd, because if people searched online themselves they could buy the same comic book in higher grade for less money.

Today I found out Thanos is an actual Greek name.

There's this Greek singer called Thanos (Petrelis). His song itself is a tame radio love ballad, but I must say the guy has a far more handsome chin than Marvel's Thanos.

The name is apparently a diminutive of the full name Athanasios, meaning 'the immortal one'.
    I figured the name for Marvel's Thanos was inspired by the classic Greek representation of death, Thanatos. I didn't know it was an actual given name in Greece until today.

To balance my amusement at Greek names, I should mention that a common girls' name here in Holland, is 'Joke'. It's pronounced differently, though.

Donuts!

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Speaking of which, a Dunkin' Donuts opened up across town a month or so ago, not that I've availed myself of its offerings. Last time I lived anywhere with one was, I think, Tempe back in '84; I remember swinging by for a sugar fix early in the morning before finals during grad school. I gather their coffee is supposed to be the bee's knees, but since I drink that beverage only in frappucino (or similar "coffee milkshake" varieties) form, it'd be lost on me.

It'll be interesting to see if Krispy Kreme's domination here is threatened. The fact that the outlet here completely revamped its storefront & added a drive-through about the same time Dunkin' was opening is almost certainly not a coincidence.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 12-05-2012 at 08:51 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Speaking of which, a Dunkin' Donuts opened up across town a month or so ago, not that I've availed myself of its offerings. Lasat time I lived anywhere with one was, I think, Tempe back in '84; I remember swinging by for a sugar fix early in the morning before finals during grad school. I gather their coffee is supposed to be the bee's knees, but since I drink that beverage only in frappucino (or similar "coffee milkshake" varieties) form, it'd be lost on me.

It'll be interesting to see if Krispy Kreme's domination here is threatened. The fact that the outlet here completely revamped its storefront & added a drive-through about the same time Dunkin' was opening is almost certainly not a coincidence.
    There's something simplistic about Dunkin' Donuts. It's not all hip and cool of Donuts its what it is...a good,dependable donut shoop. Also I like their coffee.