Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Did Anyone Collected DC Digests When They Were a Kid?

Hi,

Did anyone collect these when they came out? I was too young then. My older brother (10 years older than me) said he remembered them at the market place; he did not collect them because they look like for little kids. Now I do collect them but they're very hard to get in decent shape. I do you see allot of them around but they're usually beat up looking. I guess back then nobody thought they would worth anything, so I'm guessing they were mishandled allot. Also, the lack of quality control on these books was very low. I see allot of defects.

Example;
    Miscut
    Glue along the spine or on front/back cover.
    Wrinkle pages
    Dents
    Top/bottom corners tears.
    Creases along the spine.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Not when I was a kid. (For one thing, I was no longer a kid when they started coming out; for another, I'd completely stopped buying comics about a year or so before that.) Like you, though, I collect them now. Actually, I picked up at least a couple of them -- most memorably (given my love not only for everything UFO-related but also for vintage DC sf) this one:

-- sometime in probably the late '80s or early '90s when I came across them in, probably, some used-bookstore, more than a decade before I started buying comics again. I've always loved the format.
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 03-02-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

One of my favorite comics is Adventure #500, a digest reprinting many stories of the golden years of the Legion of Super-heroes. I was distressed to realize, after purhcasing it, that the second Legion archive book presented a lot of the same stories... for many, many, many times the price!

Yeah, digests were pretty cool. A lot of story for your buck, even if the production values were extremely low (cheap, cheap paper and art made muddier than usual by the small size). To this day, I believe that they could still be successful if we could find them while waiting in line at cash registers; they'd be a good an inexpensive entry point for younger new readers.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    To this day, I believe that they could still be successful if we could find them while waiting in line at cash registers; they'd be a good an inexpensive entry point for younger new readers.
    I dunno if it's true where you are, but that's precisely where Archie digests can be found in certain grocery stores down here.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    I dunno if it's true where you are, but that's precisely where Archie digests can be found in certain grocery stores down here.
    Yeah, I was thinking of the Archie digests when writing that. If it works for Arch and Jughead, why not for DC or Marvel characters?

(Oh, and that UFO digest is all kinds of awesome! I never even heard of it, but if one can judge a book by its cover it must be pretty cool).
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Yep a printing defect.

My copy doesn't have that. I guess DC wasn't too worry how the digests book came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking of the Archie digests when writing that. If it works for Arch and Jughead, why not for DC or Marvel characters?

(Oh, and that UFO digest is all kinds of awesome! I never even heard of it, but if one can judge a book by its cover it must be pretty cool).
    The new DC digests books came out in the mid 2000's but it was short lived. But I did see allot of Justice League Unlimited comics in the market places.
    Last edited by vane0326; 03-02-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vane0326 View Post
    The new DC digests books came out in the mid 2000's but it was short lives.
    The only ones I recall were the Wein-Wrightson Swamp Thing & a Sgt. Rock collection (that memory tells me pretty much replicated the contents of one of the '60s Sgt. Rock annuals or 80-Page Giants, not that I would've known it at the time). I think I had to special-order those at the LCS I was then frequenting.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    The only ones I recall were the Wein-Wrightson Swamp Thing & a Sgt. Rock collection (that memory tells me pretty much replicated the contents of one of the '60s Sgt. Rock annuals or 80-Page Giants, not that I would've known it at the time). I think I had to special-order those at the LCS I was then frequenting.
    There were some Batman Adventures, Superman's, and Justice League Unlimited in digest format as well.

I don't recall remember seeing the Swamp Thing.

Here you go, from 2005 --

Memory (I'm at work; the book of course isn't) tells me it was probably closer to manga-digest-sized that the early '80s DC line. Which I guess is true of today's Archie digests as well.

-- Reptisaurus!

That's next on my list.

Thanks!

I didn't collect them. But purchased them now and then.

I used to keep a couple in my glove compartment in case I got stuck waiting for someone.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Didn't mind them at all, although at one point my Archie digests outnumbered them by over 50:1
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I had a couple of them when I was a kid. A "Secret Origins" one with origins of Hawkman, Aquaman, the Legion, and others I forget; and a Teen Titans one that had a story with Hawk & Dove and a character I thought was cool looking but who I don't believe was ever seen again, called Joshua (I keep wanting to call him Jericho and have to check myself.)