Page 1 of 211 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default What Classic Comics Have You Purchased Lately? Pt. 3

As the previous thread hit the magic 5,000 number, it is my humble duty to start another version of the thread.

Here's the place to talk about you recent classic comic purchases.
    Check out my new Movie Podcast! Married With Clickers

Check Out My Blog: Seduction of the Indifferent at Seduction of the Indifferent

Look for Scott's Classic Comics Corner at Comics Should Be Good

"I'll tell you right out--I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk"

A friend of mine parents have offered to forward a bunch of their old comics that their sons used to collect........I'm uber excited to see what gems I come away with. Will post my findings ASAP

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

My gem of 2012....yes it is missing a corner and has some wear. I would say it is a VG- to a VG and for $3 I am just happy to own it and to have been able to read it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0820.jpg  

from the Back Issue bin and a rarity from the International Division

A local antique store posted a craislist ad yesterday saying they had a box of comics from an estate sale, so I went over there today. I was hoping for a bin full of Amazing Fantasy #15s, but instead it was mostly 80's and 90's stuff. It was just slightly disappointing in that the guy said he had a bunch more boxes but he was only bringing them in one at a time, which probably makes sense from his perspective, but is a pain in the ass for people like me who want to buy them. It also meant that I could tell there were comics I wanted in the boxes that weren't at the store -- for instance, the box he had today had several New Mutants including #100, so I know there is a #98 in one of the boxes.

But, whatever, I did buy some cool stuff for a buck each. Like...

Preacher #1! Punisher #1! Spider-Man #1! Superman #75!

And more interestingly, some older stuff, including several Marvel Team-Up issues:

I also picked up a copy of the Wolverine tpb, collecting the 80's Claremont-Miller series, for the princely sum of, you guessed it, $1. So that's a win right there. Not a bad trip overall, I just wish he had brought in all the comics so I could have bought more of them.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Well think of it this way Scott, you will have your anticipation build for the next trip. Often thats how people do business though - they just bring in a box or two at a time. For me I like the anticipation. That can be almost as rewarding as the actual buy.

Ah, well, there's no real anticipation here. The store owner said that there is another person who has been coming in each day and buying the entire box, I just happened to get there before he did. So chances are next time I go, there won't be any comics.

Sorry to hear that Scott but think of it another way. There will always be something else. Its just a matter of time.

Speaking of something else, I just bought a giant pile of comics from My Comics Shop, aka Lone Star Comics. Every so often I will go over there and try to cross off loose ends from my checklist -- you know, random issues here and there that just aren't worth buying individually due to shipping costs. So I try to get them all at once in order to receive free shipping.

Today's load was 65 bronze age beauties for $88 shipped, or $1.35 each. This includes 44 issues of Action/Superman/DC Comics Presents as well as 16 issues of Doctor Strange. I'm now just two issues away from completing my run of Doctor Strange volume 2 and have four more issues beyond that to have the full Dr. Strange run from Strange Tales #134 through Strange Tales vol. 2 #19, or over 20 years of continuity. Tracking down those final six issues at reasonable prices (aka dirt cheap) will be a priority this year, as I am looking forward to sitting down and reading the entire Dr. Strange epic through.

I'm also plugging away at my Action/Superman runs. Who knows, if I can complete my goals, maybe I'll do a Superman in the pre-Crisis era review thread to compliment shaxper's post-Crisis thread. But I still have a quite a ways to go on this one. My primary aim is to finish both series from the O'Neill reboot in Superman #233 up through the end of Crisis, so that's a lot of comics to get, and I am kind of cheap.

Sounds good to me Scott.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloydsound17 View Post
    My gem of 2012....yes it is missing a corner and has some wear. I would say it is a VG- to a VG and for $3 I am just happy to own it and to have been able to read it.
    That was a great deal, considering a high grade copy in VF+ can go for 40x that. It's also a great book...but one I'd want in very high grade.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    from the Back Issue bin and a rarity from the International Division

Who is Federal Comics? Never heard of them.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    Who is Federal Comics? Never heard of them.
    According to Wikipedia (taken with the usual grain of salt): "Federal Publishing Company a.k.a. Federal Comics and Australian Edition DC (1983 – 1986) — reprinted contemporary DC, Marvel (taking over the license from Yaffa), Charlton, and Hanna-Barbera comics, occasionally dipping into a backlist of stories acquired from K.G. Murray."
    One lab accident away from being a super-villain

The reason I bought that particular issue was that it was Ghost Rider, something I don't normally buy and also because I liked the cover. It was a toss-up between that or a German Batman comic book. And since my German isnt too good I went for something I could read easily without having to consult an online translator website.

Plus the International Division makes for a fascinating experience. Seeing the different comic books from around the world. They come in so many different formats. Plus some of the extras are pretty sweet - like pull out posters or free stickers etc.