Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Grayson fanboy. TheGoshDarnBatman's Avatar

I'll actually play along with the thread unlike most of you.

I'd say the protagonist is Bruce. The ending of TDKR may show Blake as the new Batman, but it also ends just where Bruce Wayne's story does. The idea of Batman as a symbol is a heavily stressed theme but it doesn't really come into play at all in the actual films, which follow Bruce Wayne.
    Call me A.J.
    Hawkeye, Batman Inc., Batman, Daredevil, The Amazing Spider-Man, All New X-Men, Avengers, New Avengers, Fantastic Four, FF, Thor: God of Thunder, Detective Comics.

Nolan said in an interview with Empire magazine that Dark Knight Rises was the end to his Bruce Wayne story. So, in my opinion, the protagonist was Bruce Wayne.

Yeah I sort of imagine them as individual characters, each serving their own message.

Bale played the characters differently so they don't appear the same character as some have said in this thread. It's like... The Mask. The Mask and Jim Carrey as Stanley Ipkiss are two very seperate characters. Same goes with Batman.

However, I would definitely argue TDKR and Begins are very Bruce movies.

BANNED

They're the same character who puts on multiple personalities to fool people.

I think it's a story about Bruce Wayne. You can't have this Batman without Bruce Wayne. All the motivations are Bruce Wayne's and his decisions are affected by his personal relation with people - Rachael, Talia, Ra's etc.

Batman: The Animated Series is much more a story about Batman as almost all of the plots become about Batman's duel with the villain and about his mission for justice. The important moments in Nolan's Batman are much more about Bruce Wayne's emotions and relationships.

Bruce. I think if he had dressed up as any other hero, there would be little to change in the film. Batman was just a means to tell his story. I think in most live action films, its always the non-costumed identity that the story is about. Captain America and Iron Man for example. But I think the new Spider-Man tilted it a little more to the costume role for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    Bruce. I think if he had dressed up as any other hero, there would be little to change in the film. Batman was just a means to tell his story. I think in most live action films, its always the non-costumed identity that the story is about. Captain America and Iron Man for example. But I think the new Spider-Man tilted it a little more to the costume role for a change.
    Agree with you completely as far as the Marvel films go. Hell, none of the characters there even have a 'secret identity' anymore in a classic sense...so in most cases, they just have one persona. To Steve Rogers and Tony Stark the Captain America uniform and Iron Man suit are just symbols and tools they use while doing their heroic work. Hell, throughout IM2, the phrase 'Iron Man' is used to refer to the armor and not to Stark himself. Likewise, Rogers never regards himself as Captain America (who was originally just a propaganda symbol created to raise the morale of troops)...and is even surprised that he's still supposed to wear the uniform in the 21st century.

As far as Spider-Man goes, I think he's an interesting case. Andrew Garfield actually commented on the whole dual identity dynamic in one of his interviews, where he mentions how the Spider-Man mask represents the anonymity of the Internet...and that Peter Parker feels free to express himself as Spider-Man in ways that he wouldn't be able to in his 'real life' as Peter Parker...much like someone hanging out in an online chat-room. But personally, I feel the Spider-Man films have always been more about Peter Parker than Spider-Man, be it the Raimi originals or the reboot. Although by the end it seems that Spider-Man as an idea has become somewhat of a symbol and an icon to New Yorkers so it will be interesting in the sequel to see how Peter copes with that.

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    Batman Begins: Bruce
    The Dark Knight: Batman
    The Dark Knight Rises: Bruce again
    I agree with this. I think though, that beyond this there is a strong focus - especially in TDKR- of how unlikely it is that someone could go out and do something as extreme as becoming a superhero and keep anyone from ever learning their identity in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Throat cancer.
    lol

10 chars

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    As far as Spider-Man goes, I think he's an interesting case. Andrew Garfield actually commented on the whole dual identity dynamic in one of his interviews, where he mentions how the Spider-Man mask represents the anonymity of the Internet...and that Peter Parker feels free to express himself as Spider-Man in ways that he wouldn't be able to in his 'real life' as Peter Parker...much like someone hanging out in an online chat-room. But personally, I feel the Spider-Man films have always been more about Peter Parker than Spider-Man, be it the Raimi originals or the reboot. Although by the end it seems that Spider-Man as an idea has become somewhat of a symbol and an icon to New Yorkers so it will be interesting in the sequel to see how Peter copes with that.
    Completely see that. I think it was interesting how he approached the role over McGuire who I did feel was just putting on a mask where as the reboot allowed the mask to be a slightly more out there personality. That's sort of similar to how Batman comic character is over Batman live action character. Batman is allowed to be the bigger personality. Slight difference I think. BTW, as someone who didn't think Spider-Man needed rebooting, I have to admit to enjoying it that its actually my favorite of them all.