Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Talon #2 *spoilers*

This was another solid issue - good action (luvverly Ryp art), decent plot development, a new villain and more development of the Calvin-Clark relationship.

It's one of those comics where you feel you really get value for money while leaving you itching for the next instalment.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Talon #2

Plot:

Calvin makes his first strike against the Court by hitting on of their cash supplies, though it isn’t easy as expected.

Our Hero:

He’s got a point. You should be straight with him.

Our Villain:

Ah daddy issues. Villians have that or mommy issues.

Our Side Characters:

Clark still looks evil.

Action:

A quick bit of slashing and being tossed through a window, but that’s it.

Dialogue:

We need color text boxes to tell apart who says what outside of the Talons.

Art:

Hey, this ain’t Guillem March.

Most Memorable Moment:

Death by melted gold. Not something you see often.

Final Page:

I like how one of the Court guys is like, “I’m not sure this is a good idea.”

What We Should Take from This Comic:

The trust between Calvin and Clark is breaking already, but they’ll be needing to work on that for the next lethal challenge the Court has up their sleeves.

What We Do Take From This Comic:

The Tomb of Unworthy was only in like 3 pages. Why even bother with the cover?

Yay or Nay?

yay

Stronger issue than #1 (#0 was better than #1 as well in my opinion) and I'm kind of digging the Batman Beyond vibe between the protagonists. Very scared for the big reveal that most likely will occur when we find out the old guy is a talon...

A review is in my signature if anyone is interested.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Really hope this new artist stays on in place of March. His people are good and his backgrounds are reminiscent of something J.H. Williams III would draw, very clean and crisp but with lots of energy and detail.

I didn't want even one more issue about owls after snyder's arc but this story is making me want more and more. It's fun, it's adventurous, and it's building the mythology of the owls in a great way. It makes me wish that snyder had slowly speckled in this type of information throughout his run building up to an owls arc, rather than starting with it.
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

I'm really enjoying Talon as a character and the book as a whole. I gave issue #0 a try and enjoyed it. I told myself if issue #1 was good, that I would keep getting it. So now I will keep getting it. Issue #2 was very good. I like how right now Calvin is only in it for his needs right now. It's different from alot of the Bat characters. Also the art was terrific. Again overall really enjoying the series and Talon is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters and favorite books.
    Last edited by TonyStark1012; 12-06-2012 at 11:48 PM.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Still overwritten, still expository and yet...I'm enjoying it. It's dense, and there was a nice surprise in the nature of this particular Talon, his motivation, and the choice he made (very "Mr. Fries" in Batman Beyond, fitting given the Wayne/Terry like dynamic we have going).

That said, and I know I know...but another Talon as the villain, this one more perverse than the others? I'm sorry, but ugh. I KNOW it's a book called "Talon", I know the Court of Owls is the villain that Calvin has to tackle, but I gotta say -- not interested in these in the least. Wasn't interested even BEFORE this book launched.

Are we really to believe that a group as savvy as this one didn't, to quote Wu Tang, diversity their bonds a bit? Or rather, would it stretch credibility so much to believe that they had other weapons and antagonists at their disposal? I mean good god, does it all have to be Talons?

What I enjoyed about issue zero - still my favorite of the bunch - was the feeling of the new we got there, from Calvin at least. But the more Talon we get, the less new I feel. Which is a bummer.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    Still overwritten, still expository and yet...I'm enjoying it. It's dense, and there was a nice surprise in the nature of this particular Talon, his motivation, and the choice he made (very "Mr. Fries" in Batman Beyond, fitting given the Wayne/Terry like dynamic we have going).

That said, and I know I know...but another Talon as the villain, this one more perverse than the others? I'm sorry, but ugh. I KNOW it's a book called "Talon", I know the Court of Owls is the villain that Calvin has to tackle, but I gotta say -- not interested in these in the least. Wasn't interested even BEFORE this book launched.

Are we really to believe that a group as savvy as this one didn't, to quote Wu Tang, diversity their bonds a bit? Or rather, would it stretch credibility so much to believe that they had other weapons and antagonists at their disposal? I mean good god, does it all have to be Talons?

What I enjoyed about issue zero - still my favorite of the bunch - was the feeling of the new we got there, from Calvin at least. But the more Talon we get, the less new I feel. Which is a bummer.
    Quoting this because one I completely agree, I'm slowly losing my interest for this title and two due to the fact you quoted Wu Tang. Makes me miss the Chapelle Show
    Currently reading: Flash Vol. 2 18-61, 230-Flashpoint; Hawkeye Vol. 1; New X-men Vol. 3

His people are good and his backgrounds are reminiscent of something J.H.

Quote Originally Posted by batman23 View Post
    Quoting this because one I completely agree, I'm slowly losing my interest for this title and two due to the fact you quoted Wu Tang. Makes me miss the Chapelle Show
    It honestly took every shred of my will power not to write "Calvin's got a job" at some point in that rant. "Man I'm PROUD of him".
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Too much exposition, too much dialogue overall. Quality slipping down incredibly fast.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

The issue is heavy handed in terms of exposition and dialogue, but am still enjoying it overall. Tynion is young writer, in terms of comic book writing, but I see enough sparks and potential to stick around.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame

I don't know why, but the typo at the end killed me:

"The Showdwon in Manhattan!"

Arguably more memorable than anything else in this comic.

Quoted for complete agreement, though it sounds like you liked it better than me.

The two things that have killed this book for me are: 1) The focus on the Court and the Talons. Yes I know that they're going to be in this book, but it shouldn't be focused on them in lieu of Calvin. We got absolutely no character development for him in this issue at all, and barely any in the last issue either. The development's been entirely focused on throwaway characters (who in this case, didn't even make it out of the issue alive). 2) The wretchedly forced "drama" between Calvin and Batman Beyond Bruce Wayne. After two issues it's apparent that they have no business working together, and I can't bring myself to sit through another one of their b!tch fests. (I actually found myself rooting for the Talon to kill Calvin and then track down the old dude and kill him off too.)

I really enjoyed the 0 issue but the series has gone down hill fast since then. I think I'm done with it...

This has been my biggest problem with the Court of Owls ever since Snyder introduced them.They're all the same face guys with the same powers,with same face code names, and mostly same face visuals.It's getting tiresome now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Too much exposition, too much dialogue overall. Quality slipping down incredibly fast.
    Too much exposition maybe but I really don't get the too much dialogue idea. Comics should have a lot of dialogue, it makes for a deeper and more rewarding reading experience. Tynion may need to refine his craft some but I'm glad that he's trying to provide readers value for their money instead of relying on the artist to create a book that can be read in five minutes.