Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Give Stan Lee the Presidential Medal of Freedom!!

Please help out!! Go to this White House page and sign the petition to award Stan Lee the Medal of Freedom. We need 25,000 signatures by December 28th!! https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...eedom/CnMsP5ZN

BANNED

I want to do this but it says I need to create an account. Will I start getting like a thousand emails if I create one?

Default Give Stan Lee...

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkestKnight View Post
    I want to do this but it says I need to create an account. Will I start getting like a thousand emails if I create one?
    No, this just to make sure someone doesn't try to game the petition system.

I assume Canadians are ineligible...?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Aussies too? I'd love to see him get that sort of recognition.

You need a US mailing "zip" code...but thank you for the positive thoughts!!

The "zip" code will prevent you from signing but help me spread the word in any way you can think of....surprisingly very few people have signed on and we need 25,000 to even get noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by bolgani View Post
    Please help out!! Go to this White House page and sign the petition to award Stan Lee the Medal of Freedom. We need 25,000 signatures by December 28th!! https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...eedom/CnMsP5ZN
    What exactly has he done to earn that medal? Because he most definitely did not write the first comics dealing with racism or drug abuse.
    Not that I see how writing those would qualify you for this medal.
    And WWII vet, sure, but they don't really give out that medal to every WWII vet.

And considering the damage he did to creator's rights, the sordid history of how he treated Jack Kirby... It's really very much up to debaye how much a part Stan Lee even had in creating those characters. He most definitely didn't do it alone.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

BANNED

I wish there was a way I could give the opposite of a signature for this.

Hmm, a petition for a medal ? I don't like that concept.

You don't go and ask for a honor. What is it ? A popularity contest ?

...you know, I was going to point out that the PMOF is supposed to be given to civilians who "have performed a meritorious act or service which has aided the United States in the prosecution of a war against an enemy or enemies and for which an award of another United States medal or decoration is considered inappropriate." And Stan Lee wouldn't qualify for that, as much as I appreciate his work and legacy. But a quick scan of people who have actually received the PMOF reveals that we apparently stopped having that standard a while ago. So, sure, best of luck to ya.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    ...you know, I was going to point out that the PMOF is supposed to be given to civilians who "have performed a meritorious act or service which has aided the United States in the prosecution of a war against an enemy or enemies and for which an award of another United States medal or decoration is considered inappropriate." And Stan Lee wouldn't qualify for that, as much as I appreciate his work and legacy. But a quick scan of people who have actually received the PMOF reveals that we apparently stopped having that standard a while ago. So, sure, best of luck to ya.
    Yeah, that's really never what the award was about. And sometimes aiding the country against an enemy is just being a model person.

The award can be given posthumously, so I'd certainly like Kirby to get one too.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I thought the same thing, E. Wilson, then I too checked over the recipient list and thought to myself that Stan Lee fit right in there. Sort of a Wonderful Life test...how would the world be different without his ever existing? Thanks for the positive note...

Kirby- definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    Yeah, that's really never what the award was about. And sometimes aiding the country against an enemy is just being a model person.

The award can be given posthumously, so I'd certainly like Kirby to get one too.
    That's from the executive order which created the PMOF in the first place. But we don't hold to that qualification any longer, so why not Lee or Kirby?