Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozed View Post
    For me the character is important. Especially if he's so relatable as Peter Parker can be. The character should always be bigger than the creator. But I mean, I want Marvel to succeed even without me reading it. If they gain two readers but lose someone like me? Of course they win. It would make me feel unwanted as a fan and reader, but of course I'd hope the people who do read on enjoy it. I'm just not sure (yet) I want to read about another under the mask or not.
    You'll just have to actually read the comic and judge it for yourself. I joked on old school for his comment, but...that's really the long and short of this conversation.

I read Dick Grayson-as-Batman during the Morrison era because the stories he told were good(well, when he had good artists; the less said about the Billy Tan arc, the better). I liked Bucky-as-Cap up into issue #50 because he was a captivating, interesting protagonist with a great story. I didn't like Miles Morales as Ultimate pider-Man because I though he was just a boring-ass character, so I dropped the book, it died with Ult. Peter Parker in my mind.

I read the stories themselves, and decided if I liked them or not. Not a bizarre concept here.
    Last edited by ViewtifulJC; 11-30-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    Great conversation killer there
    How so? My only point is that while no one should committ to a year's worth (or even multiple issues) of a title that is essentially brand new with a new lead and direction, nor should it be dismissed out of hand before we have seen the debut.

EDIT: I know you were joking but I have been going back on forth with Jux about this point for awhile now and I suspect his mind is simply made up even though none of us know much about the book yet.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    You may just be the first poster in the history of these boards that wants someone here to behave more like Wacker.
    It's definitely one for the books...right there with, "Why can't you just meet a nice young girl like Lindsay Lohan and settle down with her?"
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    How so? My only point is that while no one should committ to a year's worth (or even multiple issues) of a title that is essentially brand new with a new lead and direction, nor should it be dismissed out of hand before we have seen the debut.

EDIT: I know you were joking but I have been going back on forth with Jux about this point for awhile now and I suspect his mind is simply made up even though none of us know much about the book yet.
    Nah, it's not entirely made up. I'm not sure I want to spend up to 20 bucks in december to risk being dissapointed, and I have a nagging feeling that what Slott and the gang are doing now might be the time for me to abandon Spidey. Or maybe the title is abandoning us. I just mean that it shouldn't be given that Superior will be on the pull list.

Nah, it's not entirely made up. I'm not sure I want to spend up to 20 bucks in december to risk being dissapointed
    That's a risk you take every single time you buy...well, anything, really.

But I will agree that Superior Spider-Man isn't an automatic YES in my mind, not yet. There's still so much we don't even know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    It's definitely one for the books...right there with, "Why can't you just meet a nice young girl like Lindsay Lohan and settle down with her?"
    I like Lindsay Lohan she was awesome in "Mean Girls"

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    I like Lindsay Lohan she was awesome in "Mean Girls"
    Mean Girls Lindsay Lohan is in a completely different realm of existence from 2012 crackhead-lookin' Lindsay Lohan. But that's a topic of discussion for another day.

That's a risk you take every single time you buy...well, anything, really.
    Not really no. It can only happens when you buy something you don't know at all which all in all is mighty rare. You buy a box of candles, well, you get a box of candles.

Don't really see where the disappointment can happen here.

-rats!! There is cereal in my candles again!!

-bummer...

Last edited by Addams; 11-30-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    Not really no. It can only happens when you buy something you don't know at all which all in all is mighty rare. You buy a box of candles, well, you get a box of candles.

-bummer...

The candles aren't as good as you want. They smell different from your expectations. They burn out too quickly. They didn't do what was promised on the box.

You try and get as informed as you can, but the end product is the end product, and all you can do is react to that. Whether it be an overhyped movie that you thought was just, "Ok..." or a TV show your friends recommend and you start getting into it, or a billion other examples. You take that chance of being disappointed whenever you try a product.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post

-bummer...

Scented candles that don't smell the way you thought they would.

I'd say it's more like a chance you take with any bit of media. The hype can be better than the product. How many movie previews have we watched where the trailer was better than the actual film, but it did get you hooked?

Still, that's the chance you take.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

At the end of the day, all Dan Slott is doing is trying to write Spider-Man stories to the best of his ability. There's no promise you're gonna agree that they're good. Sometimes they're "Nobody Dies" and sometimes they're "Alpha". You'll only know for sure when you read the product itself. For me, Dan hits more then he misses, so I'm more optimistic that I will enjoy it. But again, I won't know until it's actually in my hands.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Nah, it's not entirely made up. I'm not sure I want to spend up to 20 bucks in december to risk being dissapointed, and I have a nagging feeling that what Slott and the gang are doing now might be the time for me to abandon Spidey. Or maybe the title is abandoning us. I just mean that it shouldn't be given that Superior will be on the pull list.
    what are you buying?

699 $4
    700 $8

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    what are you buying?

699 $4
    700 $8
    Maybe 699.1 and Avenging Spidey?

At the end of the day, all Dan Slott is doing is trying to write Spider-Man stories to the best of his ability. There's no promise you're gonna agree that they're good. Sometimes they're "Nobody Dies" and sometimes they're "Alpha". You'll only know for sure when you read the product itself. For me, Dan hits more then he misses, so I'm more optimistic that I will enjoy it. But again, I won't know until it's actually in my hands.
    TRUTH.

10 char
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Maybe 699.1 and Avenging Spidey?
    neither is truly needed to set up Superior. If money is the issue, the story is 699 and 700. an epilogue is avenging... and 699.1 seems to be more about morbius