Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Corben

Default Richard Corben

Thoughts on Corben? Favorite works?

I was pleasantly surprised by Corben's recent one-shot adaptation of Poe's "The Conqueror Worm." The art was astounding, the story was well-paced and interesting. The panel transitions (especially during the puppet show) and how he relayed the information and feelings were superb. I feel like Richard Corben is a very important creator and I can only hope we see more work like this from him.

If you haven't had a chance to read his recent mini series Ragemoor with Jan Strnad, the collected hardcover edition just came out. It's brilliant horror with haunting art and a captivating premise.
    Last edited by Danish; 11-29-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    Reading:
    On Hold:

I haven't read that much by him, just recently I read dark Horse Presents # 18 which had an adaptation of Poe's Shadow in it, was a bit short, but good. He's doing one adaptation every month in DHP, I think

His work on Hellboy one-shots with Mignola has been superb, loved his art.

Veteran Member

I think he's great, though I haven't read a huge amount of his stuff. I'm not a big fan of adaptations, so I haven't tried any of his Poe stories or House on the Borderland. But he ranks high among comics creators for Den alone, I'd say. I prefer stuff like that: rather than doing a straight adaptation of ERB's Barsoom/Mars books, he took inspiration from them and made his own thing.

I try to track his stuff down when I can find it but I don't think I have a whole lot. I love his work though. I used to find his comics in the bargain bin when I was a kid, the color ones. They blew me away.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

i'm becoming a big fan of corben. i'm not really familiar with poe's work, but i've been enjoying the adaptations he's been putting out with dark horse. the creepy presents is pretty freaking sweet, and is a must have for any corben fan. ragemoor was enjoyable as well. besides the creepy work, i think my favorite i've come across so far is his work in conan: cimmeria dealing with conan's grandfather, connacht.

does anyone know if his heavy metal work has been collected anywhere? as i'd like to check out some of that as well.
    SPACE FOR RENT!

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

huge huge huge huge huge fan of Corben! Dark Horse released Creepy Presents Richard Corben which presents a lot of his Warren stories he's written or drawn or both.

Corben's work with Mignola is always a joy to read. Then there's his Den, Bloodstar, Rip In Time, Never Where, Vic and Blood, & Fangoria are fantastic comics by Corben.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by weeks View Post

does anyone know if his heavy metal work has been collected anywhere? as i'd like to check out some of that as well.
    It was his Den/Neverwhere stuff that ran in Heavy Metal.

Was all collected many years back, but all are out of print and may be hard (ie expensive) to get.

There was a brief period where he had his own comic company, doing a new Den storyline and some other stuff, but it ended too soon. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Corben's work with Mignola is always a joy to read. Then there's his Den, Bloodstar, Rip In Time, Never Where, Vic and Blood, & Fangoria are fantastic comics by Corben.
    I think you mean Fantagor? Thanks for mentioning those; I'm not very familiar with much of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dupont2005 View Post
    I try to track his stuff down when I can find it but I don't think I have a whole lot. I love his work though. I used to find his comics in the bargain bin when I was a kid, the color ones. They blew me away.
    Agreed. His colors always blow me away. And although Ragemoor was in B&W, I think the gray tones worked best and really helped contribute to the haunting atmosphere. Also, in his new one-shot, The Conqueror Worm, it looked like most of the colors were done digitally as opposed to his traditional airbrushing? It looked amazing but it's interesting to see how he adapts his style over time. I really think he is at the top of his game.
    The Conqueror Worm was a very interesting adaptation of Poe's poem. The original poem is provided in the back of the one-shot and it seems very difficult to adapt. Corben did a wonderful job though, taking a few liberties and interpretations while still retaining the integrity of the poem. I really can't recommend this one-shot enough.

This fascinating article reveals how he used 3D models and sculptures to render lighting and characters in Ragemoor.
    Last edited by Danish; 11-29-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    Reading:
    On Hold:

Richard Corben is literally one of the Greatest Comics Creators Ever. I've enjoyed his provocative storytelling and supremely enjoyable art since the early 1980s. Wow, that's roughly three decades since I first experienced his busty topless babes and incredibly three-dimensional backdrops and looming shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by weeks View Post
    In addition to the out-of-print Neverwhere and Bloodstar volumes, Heavy Metal issued this hardcover collection of Corbenworks called Best Of Corben. Some of the reproductions are less than perfect, but it's a cheap volume for a HC. Heavy Metal was blowing out copies of this at their booth at the San Diego Con for FIVE dollars apiece. Amazon has some cheap copies, too.

And Dark Horse just issued Creepy Presents Richard Corben, which is a fantastic collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Danish View Post
    If you haven't had a chance to read his recent mini series Ragemoor with Jan Strnad, the collected hardcover edition just came out. It's brilliant horror with haunting art and a captivating premise.
    Nice collection, but I bought them as they came out. I couldn't wait. A patently Corben concept endowed by his traditionally great visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Then there's his Den, Bloodstar, Rip In Time, Never Where, Vic and Blood, & Fangoria are fantastic comics by Corben.
    Don't forget The House On The Borderland and Rowlf!

And if you're fortunate enough to score a nice-priced copy of this slick book...

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

A peerless artist.

As I seem to recall, Fantagor Press was his own company. They reprinted his Den/Neverwhere stuff, Brood, Mutant World, Rip in Time, and others.

They started to do a 7-part comic, "From the Pit", but only the first came out. And they were doing Densaga, but ended with #4, which seemed incomplete. This happened in 1994.

Corben has done a lot of stuff since, but would be nice to see this stuff completed, and his earlier stuff reprinted.

Dark Horse Solicits May 2013 with new Corben.
    Another gorgeous Corben cover for Creepy #12 in May which also includes a new short story from him. New terror from legendary artist Richard Corben reveals that six feet of soil can't keep a good man down!
    Corben is adapting another Edgar Allen Poe work, "The Fall of the House of Usher" as a two-part miniseries, and if it's anywhere near as good as his amazing adaptation of "The Conqueror Worm," then I'll enjoy it immensely. Corben's site lists that he did an adaption of "The Fall of the House of Usher" in 1989. So I'm assuming it's a reprint? I would trade wait for a collection of his adaptations, but I just get too excited about Corben. I got the Ragemoor singles but I think I might get the hardcover also. It's just that good. I should read that again.
    Last edited by Danish; 02-09-2013 at 10:38 PM.
    Reading:
    On Hold:

I absolutely love his work on The Crooked Man. Really enjoying Ragemoor too. I plan to pick up the Poe adaptations in tpb. He's a pretty fantastic artist...I'm especially fond of the way he draws females. I don't think theres an artist who draws the ladies with more raw sexuality.

He's a great talent but he's never been my cup of tea.
    Life is what you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevious Zoquis View Post
    I absolutely love his work on The Crooked Man. Really enjoying Ragemoor too. I plan to pick up the Poe adaptations in tpb. He's a pretty fantastic artist...I'm especially fond of the way he draws females. I don't think theres an artist who draws the ladies with more raw sexuality.
    Crooked Man is possibly my favorite Hellboy story - and yet I have not sought out his other work! I'll have to check out Ragemoor, and Creepy Presents, and (whenever it comes out) the tpb of the Poe stuff he's doing now.