Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Incredible, breathtaking tale so far. I personally thought the juxtaposition of the confrontation with the butcher and Thor's memory of another God killer, quite effective. It added some weight and color to the villain.

I like the way Aaron is building this universe where Gods and men interact - and the variety of Gods that there are. I also enjoy how he's showing Thor's personality, the range of maturity, and a bit of his worldview at each age.

The art (including colors) is incredible, the Butcher was truly frightening to me, the way this black material emanates from these holes in his body. The foggy scenes in the longboats was eerie and gorgeous. I've never been that big a Thor guy in the past but between this and JIM, the Asgardians have become my favorite part of the Marvel universe.
    PrettyDeadly/WonderWoman/FBP/Velvet/Revival/Lazarus/EastofWest/ManhattanProjects/Fatale/Alex+Ada/Rat Queens/Saga/Bandette/HighCrimes/Red Sonja/RachelRising/Ghost/Zero/Veil/Cap. Marvel/She Hulk/Magneto

If Gorr reminds me of anyone?

Which given the Spectre's Wraith of God position, kind of ironic.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Burst View Post
    Considering we know nothing about the character so far, I don't know how you came to this ''conclusion''.
    It is a little early, so a little more water needs to go under bridge. I just hope that something significant comes of this.
    Last edited by jackolover; 11-29-2012 at 03:26 AM.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkestKnight View Post
    So was that story in fact about Gorr the God Butcher? Thats one thing I was not quite clear on.
    The impression that Thor got from Gorr immediately reminded him of an Asgardian murderer that Odin captured and beheaded. The look in Gorr's eyes--a gaze of serenity as Thor put it--brought him back to the memory of this Asgardian murderer who strangely told Thor about all his horrendous deeds. Thor also says how this person and his murderous ways was the first instance in which he understood the difference between killing someone in battle and just cold-blooded murder. I enjoyed this story because it reinforced a feeling of terror Thor previously had in his childhood and Gorr was a gruesome enough figure (with hideous deeds to his name already) to trigger that frightening moment. It's a unique way to show Thor as being vulnerable both physically and psychologically. Judging by the pounding Thor took in the last moments of the fight, Gorr is shaping up to be a great addition to the Asgardian canon. Hopefully Gorr resonates with readers and with the present day Marvel universe enough to where he reappears in some future storyline. Heck, this arc hasn't even concluded so there's no way to tell if we've seen the last of the God Butcher.

Gorr: Tell me prince of asgard, what was Thor the god of before he died?
    Thor:THUNDER!

So strikes him with LIGHTNING.

Just as well. The loud sound of Thunder would have been unlikely to scare Gorr off.

Another amazing issue! I loved the first one, and this one was just as good, maybe even better. This Thor is somewhat different in personality than what Iíve seen before, and Iíve also got a feeling that Thor from the different time-periods will show that he matures and changes as he grows older. The way he acts feels so right though, making him a very interesting character. In all the years Iíve read his book, Iíve never before been this excited about it! The dialogue, the story, the action, itís all perfect, and the artÖ Oh My OdinÖ itís just breathtaking and perfect for this book! This is the best new book coming out in a very long time, and Iíve got a feeling that when the creative team some time leaves this book, it will be regarded as one of the really great classics! I hope they will stay a long, long time though!
    If my words and grammar are not correct, that's because English is not my native language! My English would have been far worse if I hadn't read original comics for decades though!

Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

Makes you wonder how badly he had to screw up to be in old-Thor's position.
    Bad news everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by blakkrussian View Post

Just as well. The loud sound of Thunder would have been unlikely to scare Gorr off.
    To quote the Married With Children theme song, this I tell you brother, you can't have one without the other.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Confused by custom titles

Quote Originally Posted by blakkrussian View Post

I remember a line from Waid and Ross' Kingdom Come where Captain Marvel was referred to as the Captain of the Thunder and the Lightning and I thought that was something that actually fit Thor quite a bit as well.

I suppose that Thor's mastery of the elements has always been treated as an implication of him being God of Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nox View Post
    Agreed on this note. I was rather disappointed they didn't actually show us or at least somehow make the images match up with the story somehow.

I still find myself intrigued though. Curious how the Butcher got his powers and how much more powerful he has become. So I take it that next issue will be Present Thor and #4 will be King Thor?

And for some stupid reason, I found myself thinking "I guess we know what Kratos did after God of War 3" during this. I wonder if the Olympian Gods or any others with living Gods had any encounters with this guy.
    Given that all the Olympians seem to be alive and well in the 21st century, more or less, and any deaths have been caused by other folks, I'd guess not.

But then, Perun, presumed killed in Thor's past encounter, has also shown up alive and well in the current day Marvel Universe, so maybe Aaron will show that the Olympians including Hercules were also all butchered back in medieval times, regardless of continuity. I doubt the editors would care.

Quote Originally Posted by theDarkestKnight View Post
    Don't forget Remender's Captain America. Marvel NOW! has been on a roll so far.
    I'm trying hard to forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma Burst View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it too. Awesome review, btw!
    Thanks! Appreciate it!
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Year of the Dragon themortalfist's Avatar

What I LOVE about this series so far is that it's very different from the movie version. My biggest knock with Gillen's Iron Man is that it seems to be nodding to close to the upcoming film. (Maybe I'm overthinking that because of the Extremis plotline.) But this seems really fresh -- no yelling Odin, no Warriors Three, no Destroyer or mentions of "Dark World." I really love this direction, this mystery, the tension, the epic-ness. I'm so damn thrilled. And one day we might get Mangog. Sweet.
    Trust me. I have a plan. -- Daniel Rand, the Immortal Iron Fist

Quote Originally Posted by themortalfist View Post
    What I LOVE about this series so far is that it's very different from the movie version. My biggest knock with Gillen's Iron Man is that it seems to be nodding to close to the upcoming film. (Maybe I'm overthinking that because of the Extremis plotline.) But this seems really fresh -- no yelling Odin, no Warriors Three, no Destroyer or mentions of "Dark World." I really love this direction, this mystery, the tension, the epic-ness. I'm so damn thrilled. And one day we might get Mangog. Sweet.
    The only Destroyer reference (which I LOVE) is Old King Thor's prosthetic arm. I really hope Aaron keeps as much distance as possible from past stories, film references, events, and the greater Marvel universe for as long as possible. Although, with Iron Man's mentioned appearance in the next issue, it won't be long before (in true Marvel fashion) the waters get muddied.

Quote Originally Posted by themortalfist View Post
    To piggyback on your good points...this new Thor has the exact tone I think he should carry. There's a Conan the Barbarian tone to it, but also the science fiction and mythological aspects too.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!