Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR Review: FF #1

"FF" #1 from Matt Fraction and Michael Allred sets up the team and the direction of the series while not moving the narrative one iota at all.

Full review here.

Whoa, my reading experience was so different, this was one of my favorite things I've read in a while. I can't understand faulting it for taking time to reintroduce all the cast members.. it has a giant "#1" on the cover, and as a first chapter in a story that we already know the basic gist of, it works really well. Rather than simply showing us the events we've already been told about since the title was announced, it takes the opportunity to show them unfold in a way you can care about, instead of just showing it and getting on with the action. It doesn't seem decompressed to me, not a single panel felt wasted; it actually seemed like a real treat having so many little moments squeezed into a 20 page comic. The Scott Lang scenes were really affecting, and lend a sense of gravitas that will help carry whatever happens next. The introductions to the various young FF members may have been presented in a disconnected way, but they were each so well done that I didn't question their placement, and it's really pretty sweet how the last page brings it all together. 5/5!

I'm with Westchester. I thought this issue was really well done. If the numbering had continued from Hickman's run, maybe it would seem like exposition. But like Westchester points out, there's a big #1 on the cover. The way this book sets the stage in a way that doesn't feel like wasted space to a veteran FF fan is really impressive to me. I loved the character moments with the FF kids, and I really liked getting to know Scott Lang's current emotional context. I haven't kept up with the character, and thought he was sortof out of left field when the book was announced, but between this and the Point One story, I'm really into the idea of following his arc in the context of the FF kids and his grieving state. I don't know what this reviewer was hoping for. I'm sure there is lots of zany action to come (it is Fraction and Allred after all), but my biggest concerns were addressed. I was concerned about characters. I was a bit worried that the FF kids would be sidelined in this book, and it looks like they are front and center. I was worried that I wouldn't find the Substitute-Four interesting, but Fractions treatment of Scott Lang sucked me in. Great first issue! I can't wait to see what Ant-Man and Company do once they realize their four minutes are running out and Reed and co. are still out there somewhere!

American at the Crossroad
    This weird geometrically shaped place in northern VA...

So this book could go either way, but didn't go either of those ways and it read too much like a first issue, even though it WAS a first issue. In other words, typical CBR review...

I think I'm going to give this series a three issue trial run.

What's attractive about the series:
    -I've loved Fraction on Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Iron Fist.
    -The light-heartedness.
    -The art.
    -Ant-Man and Medussa.

What isn't:
    -I've never been much of a Fantastic Four fan.
    -Not sure what I'll think of Ms. Thing or the FF supporting cast.
    -I've liked Fraction on solos before, not so much on The Defenders.
    -I won't get F4 and there will be crossover between them. Hopefully it's minimal.
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

Neil Simon's Reservations

Quote Originally Posted by charlesjbaserap View Post
    So this book could go either way, but didn't go either of those ways and it read too much like a first issue, even though it WAS a first issue. In other words, typical CBR review...
    Well, yeah. But more like 'typical Ryan K. Lindsay review.' We're talking about a guy who continually gives 5 star reviews to ******, fer crissakes.

I'm actually also in the camp that LOVED this issue, and I wasn't too hot on Fantastic Four #1. I think Allred's art is perfect for the Future Foundation and I'm excited to see how the new cast members all get on together. The only thing I'm curious about after reading both issue is who is going in the ship with Reed. In Fantastic Four #1, he made it sound like he'd take the entire Foundation, though Franklin mentioned to Sue that he didn't want to go into space. Meanwhile, in issue two it seems that the entire foundation is staying on Earth, except maybe Frank and Val. I hope the next issue starts with them leaving so we know where everyone is going to end up.

I'm really glad people dug this issue, I am, but it truly did nothing for me. We introduced the characters, and I know that's important for a #1 issue - I even address that in the review at the end - but for me this didn't add to the characters nor did it build them up for me beyond archetypes. The Scott Lang was the best of it, the rest felt rote. Not bad, just not really much of anything.
    I talk about comics and writing processes on my site: www.stinkbrown.org

I'm pretty much in total agreement with minusthesnake.
    I'm autistic. What's your excuse?

AKA Muffin, Rear Admiral Nerdcock...

Y'know that thing I said that got you offended? I was just joking.

Wait. Who's Black Bolt's son? Ah. Ahura. Never see that dude.
    Last edited by Emissary of Justice; 11-28-2012 at 11:08 PM.

I thought this issue was great. I mean yes, it's an introductory issue so I wasn't expecting a lot, but it was very well done. All the characters had unique voices and their interactions were well thought out. I am continually impressed by how expressive Alred's art style can be. and am so excited that he seems to be on the series for the long haul. My only beef would be that we already know what the conflict is going to be after the 4 leave on their trip, but have to wait another month to actually see it play out.

I wasn't expecting to like it because I 've read F4#1 and it didn't do anything for me, but FF was good! It had good character moments and although I've never read anything with these characters before or FF, I want to know more about these characters, especially Ant-Man, She-Hulk and the students. So Franklin and Valerie are going with their parents and the rest of the students are staying in FF?

I was checking the first trade of F4 on Amazon and it includes the first 2 issues of FF. Will those be in the first trade of FF as well?

At this point I've lost all respect for CBR's reviews. I'm not sure how they can rate this book 2.5 stars and F4 3.5 stars (while basically bashing the book), and yet they give Batman #14 5 stars?

I know they're all probably written by different people, but I'm finding that not only do I disagree with them more than not, they also seem to not know what they're talking about in a lot of cases.

Glad to see so many on this thread sticking up for FF #1! I am only recently into comic books and I've never been in to the Fantastic Four, but the art and the pacing of this comic made it one of the clear highlights of Marvel NOW (so far) for me - and so far I've picked everything up apart from X-Men Legacy.

Anyway, I was so confused by this review that I felt the need to register and post down here. Most of the previous comments have already made my case for me, but I just want to add my voice to those supporting the book. Being new to the world of FF, I had no idea who the supporting cast were, and the short cutaways to the various members of the extended family did a lot to establish who those characters are. Not so much in what they said, but how they said it. Each character in this book is written with a clear voice, and Fraction gets a lot of humour out of characterisation. I already feel like I know who these various weird guys are now and can join whatever adventures Fraction might take them on. The art also does a lot to convey the different characteristics of the cast, particularly the children. I also loved Reed's phrasing when talking about the death of Lang's daughter, calling it "unpleasantness". And the pages with Johnny Storm were hilarious, or at least I thought so. The idea that he's doing something so unconnected to the matter at hand is brilliant and perfectly in character, as I understand it.

Sorry to ramble. Loved the issue, basically, and couldn't agree less with this review. The issue might not have advanced too much in terms of plot, but it did introduce me to the world and the characters - and put a smile on my face as it did so. I can't ask for more than that! This and Thor: God of Thunder are the best of Marvel NOW so far, if you ask me.