Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Low points in Batman history

Superman red or blue or Superman grounded
    Wonder Woman-the I-ching period
    Green Lantern Emerald Twilight
    The Flash-Bart allen period

What are your Batman low points as a reader. Mine would be Batman-Devil's advocate

Just a sum of all the wrong ways a writer can stretch Batman's morals to the point that its becomes a joke.
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

Don't do the Limbo sunofdarkchild's Avatar

That was possibly the low point of the 90s. Dixon's morally perfect Batman taken too far.

Pretty much everything after No Man;s Land till Morrison took over was a low point for me. Officer Down, War Games, Tim Drake turning into a mini-Bruce.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

This would have to be Batman's all-time absolute lowest of the low in my book:

Pull list:
    Batgirl, Earth 2, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

The Avatar of Vengeance melkorjunior's Avatar

I thought Leslie Thompkins allowing Stephanie Brown to die just to prove a point to Bruce was not only a low point, but also very very stupid. I guess that has been retconned away, but ever since then I've refused to pick up anything that particular writer has worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Pretty much everything after No Man;s Land till Morrison took over was a low point for me. Officer Down, War Games, Tim Drake turning into a mini-Bruce.
    Who was in charge of the Bat books during that period? I think that's it for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    Who was in charge of the Bat books during that period? I think that's it for me as well.
    Pretty sure Brubaker and Rucka were the Bat writers at that time.

I really disliked the Moench-Jones Batman run that followed the Knightfall arc. I know some people love it, but the art especially was a low point IMO.
    "I find myself in the service of lost boys struggling to be strong men." - Robin: Year One

The Avatar of Vengeance melkorjunior's Avatar

Kelly Jones' art is amazingly gothic and moody and evocative, and it fairly leaps off the page. But he's not so great with human likenesses, and his people tend to look ugly. He'd be great on a fantasy title.

Quote Originally Posted by Roldan View Post
    Pretty sure Brubaker and Rucka were the Bat writers at that time.
    Really? I thought they left shortly after No Man's Land?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    This would have to be Batman's all-time absolute lowest of the low in my book:

I don't think you got the point of that scene.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    I don't think you got the point of that scene.
    I'd throw it right back that I don't think you did either. That was Batman's ultimate jerk moment, pure and simple. Instead of investing his energy into helping Bab's, he decided to have a laughing breakdown with an insane criminal instead. Loser moment if any.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Earth 2, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

Yeah it was stupid having him have that moment with the Joker but Moore pulled off the rest of the one shot flawlessly.
    Currrently Reading- Suicide Squad,Justice League,Batwoman,Batman,Batman and Robin,Detective Comics, Wonder Woman,Batman Eternal,Mighty Avengers,All new X-factor,Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    I'd throw it right back that I don't think you did either. That was Batman's ultimate jerk moment, pure and simple. Instead of investing his energy into helping Bab's, he decided to have a laughing breakdown with an insane criminal instead. Loser moment if any.
    It was the moment that Batman realised that the Joker was right and that he was having a mental breakdown because the Joker had attacked his system. I don't think Moore was intending for laughter at disabled people. Also how could he help Barbara? Batman was catching her crippler seems like investing energy for her and he just spent like a minute laughing whilst capturing him.

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoFan1973 View Post
    I really disliked the Moench-Jones Batman run that followed the Knightfall arc. I know some people love it, but the art especially was a low point IMO.
    Yeah I pretty much stopped after that, it wasn't until HUSH that I picked up a Batman title again.

Quote Originally Posted by Whip Whirlwind View Post
    Really? I thought they left shortly after No Man's Land?
    No Man's Land is what brought them ON to the books.

No Man's Land and its aftermath was when longtime Batman steward Denny O'Neil got unceremoniously kicked to the curb, a new editorial team got put in charge with a new editorial vision. And their new editorial vision was A-hole Batman getting exaggerated beyond the point of ridiculousness.

But yeah, that Devil's Advocate in the OP's post was the story I was trying to remember the name of in another thread. TERRIBLE. Which sucks, because I usually associate Dixon with quality Batman stories, and I love Graham Nolan's art.
    Last edited by stk; 11-28-2012 at 02:46 PM.