Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

This just absolutely blew me away. Much better than F4 (which was OK) and the best of the few Marvel Now books I've read. Just a stellar debut on all fronts.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Namorita is alive again.
    Didn't Frankie come back too in the Heralds mini?
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Plus Namorita's death had nothing to do with Johnny or being his GF.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'd give this a C. First of all, I've never been an Allred fan and this issue did little to change my mind. I feel like I'm looking at an Archie comics version of the Fantastic Four. His backgrounds are almost non-existent, which is OK when we just have the talking head panels. But jeez, even I can draw a passenger jet that looks as good as that one bird's eye view of the city.

Once again, we have a Johnny regression and the scene where he couldn't remember what his own message was supposed to remind him of was ridiculous. Sure Johnny was always the impetuous one but he's not stupid. Ben's dialogue was almost like a parody of the style Stan used back in the 1960's. Very underwhelmed with this.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-30-2012 at 06:10 AM.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

a curious wanderer OBrianTallent's Avatar

I'm really on the fence with this. I loved Hickman's FF and the kids. I'm quite disappointed that this book wont focus more on them. But I also love Jen. I like scott and Medusa (which I think is rather odd choice for the book...) I'm NOT a fan of this Miss Thing/darla character...pointless when there are so many really great characters that could have been chosen (isn't She-Thing working as security guard or something?)

I flipped through the book at the store and thought it was pretty decent. The one thing that keeps me from picking it up is Allred's art. I am just not a fan at all. I may pick up the trade if I keep hearing good things.
    Not all who wander are lost....

So good. The structure was rewarding. We didn't know why the FF kids were introducing themselves, but we get hit with this emotional breakthrough when Ant-Man decides to try at the end of the issue.
    The Circumstances at the End

Top 10: Astro City, Captain America, East of West, Hawkeye, Lazarus, New Avengers, Saga, Thor: God of Thunder, Wonder Woman, Zero

I thought it was a good set up storywise, and I love the characters they've selected (Ok, I don't know enough about the newbie Miss Thing, but I'd be willing to get to know her), but I just do not like the art. I know some love it, but it felt flat and drab to me.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coconutphone View Post
    Plus Namorita's death had nothing to do with Johnny or being his GF.
    Johnny was interviewed after Stamford and called the New Warriors a bunch of losers. some could argue that Johnny's dismissal of Namorita eventually led to her self-esteem being low enough that she'd take part in the reality tv show new warriors.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I'm really on the fence with this. I loved Hickman's FF and the kids. I'm quite disappointed that this book wont focus more on them. But I also love Jen. I like scott and Medusa (which I think is rather odd choice for the book...) I'm NOT a fan of this Miss Thing/darla character...pointless when there are so many really great characters that could have been chosen (isn't She-Thing working as security guard or something?)
    thematically, She-Thing isn't appropriate as a replacement. she's not romantically involved with Johnny. Johnny chose her because she was around when it came time to choose. plus, She-Thing is not a rookie. she's not new to the job. Darla is. she's the readers perspective.

Awesome. Loved the art and the writing. Miss Thing already rules.
    Mah Sheet: Moon Knight, Thor, Wolfsbane, Paladin, Doc Ock, Black Bolt, Cage, Hawkeye, Sunfire, Boomerang, Hellcat, Shang-Chi, Misty Knight, Bishop, Magik, Cypher

Really enjoyed this book. I have always thought Allred's art is OK... but not as great as people tend to say. However, I really liked it in this issue. Also loved the character work... and the fact that Fraction is picking up right were Hickman left off (I mentioned this with Fantastic Four #1 too). Loved Johnny's 'Ask someone about the thing' bit.

I would say that this rivals Cap #1 for my favourite Marvel NOW! issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    Johnny was interviewed after Stamford and called the New Warriors a bunch of losers. some could argue that Johnny's dismissal of Namorita eventually led to her self-esteem being low enough that she'd take part in the reality tv show new warriors.
    And if you believe that, you didn't really read anything else with Nita in it, ever.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

I'm not looking forward to the Miss Thing suit.

I liked it. I've never read much with Lang in it, just a guest appearance here or there but I don't recall him being such a genius. The thing they usually bring up is that he stole Pym's Ant-Man gear back in the day.
    "Moving to Dakota to avoid superheroes is like moving to Quantico to avoid the FBI." -- Dwayne McDuffie

My comic: https://www.facebook.com/pages/MYTH-...31161003585134

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I liked it. I've never read much with Lang in it, just a guest appearance here or there but I don't recall him being such a genius. The thing they usually bring up is that he stole Pym's Ant-Man gear back in the day.
    his intelligence is very easy to overlook because he's surrounded by several characters who are superhumanly smart (and he's not the type to brag about his own intelligence). but his being able to steal the Ant-Man costume without prep time is a feat of intelligence. consider how smart Henry Pym is. Scott was attracted to Pym's lab because he instantly recognized it as having some heavy duty security. yet he bypassed most of it. and he figured out how to use Pym's equipment in the same evening; right before breaking into Cross Technological Enterprises (another heavily secured building).

he was smart enough that Tony Stark hired him from prison. he was quickly given his own private lab. and Stark would often task him with completing his side projects; like the Hulk's nuclear-powered pace maker and the memory-reading helmet they used on Pym. Scott also navigated and jumpstarted Stark's armor, from the inside; a few times.

he was smart enough that Stark personally recommended him to the Fantastic Four; when Reed was believed to be lost in the timestream. Scott repaired their time machine. Reed would later choose Scott to handreplace Banner's DNA; to cure him of Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. he reprogrammed a Deviant-created android on the fly; while with the FF. he reprogrammed a malfunctioning Doombot; using it to shut down several other androids. he has desembled doom tech to it's individual components; requiring him to recognize each piece.

i think what throws people off is that he was desperate enough to steal at one point and couldn't make ends meet. my theory is that his daughter was the result of an unplanned pregnancy; requiring Scott to forgoe schooling. that impacted his employment opportunities. he would later get a lot of advanced education in prison. the Warden of Ryker's described him as a genius (quoted from his origin story). but once Stark gave him a second chance, his knowledge base expanded rapidly. Tony trusted his skill enough to let him (a former convict) install the security at Avengers mansion. it should also be noted that Rita Demara, who also stole one of Pym's costumes, was regarded as a serious brain as well.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5...ified___30.jpg
    http://www.comicvine.com/ant-man-lan...3/105-2473712/
    Last edited by Monty_Cristo; 11-30-2012 at 08:05 PM.