Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Whedon's "S.H.I.E.L.D." Adds Latest Cast Member

Relative newcomer Brett Dalton has been cast as deadly Agent Grant Ward in Joss Whedon's "S.H.I.E.L.D." television series, joining Ming Na, Elizabeth Henstridge and Clark Gregg on Marvel's live-action "Avengers" spinoff.

Full article here.

Oh for god's sake... WHY ARE THEY CALLING THIS SHIELD IF THERE'S NO ACTUAL SHIELD COMIC CHARACTERS IN THIS?! Weldon I love you but seriously, if HYDRA and AIM don't have a role in this series or if they don't feature some form of C and B-List Marvel heroes and villains as semi-regulars, there's no point in this being set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Jimmy Wu, Contessa Fountaine, Eric O'Grady... don't keep them hogged to the movies for goodness sake.

So Shield without real Shield members? Coulson is cool but he's not gonna keep the entire series afloat by himself

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    So Shield without real Shield members? Coulson is cool but he's not gonna keep the entire series afloat by himself
    Comicbook SHIELD characters (other than Ultimate Nick Fury) are completely and utterly unknown to the very vast majority of the audience for a series like this.

And Sam Jackson is so not doing a tv series. That's just not happening.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

That and guys like Dum Dum Dugan was in "Captain America: The First Avenger". Anyone else that might be in the films, won't be on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Comicbook SHIELD characters (other than Ultimate Nick Fury) are completely and utterly unknown to the very vast majority of the audience for a series like this.
    And Sam Jackson is so not doing a tv series. That's just not happening.
    BINGO...anyone expecting them to use little known SHIELD characters from the book are fooling themselves....and they are tied to the movies because the success of the movies is why there is even a TV show in the first place
    Support your local roller derby league

I don't see a problem with it. If they can pull off an entertaining show set in the Marvel universe, great. It's only getting off the ground due to the success of the Avengers but I'm willing to give it a shot for a few episodes.

Phil Coulson is a character originally from the movies, like the characters in the series, and many put their sole emphasis on Phil, and not give an opportunity to the other characters, saying it will be bad, what is going to be canceled, do not forget Josh Whedon created Buffy the Vampire Slayer series, and do not tell me it was a failure, as the franchise, has a series of comics, graphic novels, etc. during of 19997-2003 and with a season 8 published by Dark Horse Comics

No need guys with superpowers for good series, if not look Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Which is why this was the OPPORTUNITY to introduce them to a wide audience. I'm not saying that all the characters have to be from the comics, just that since they exist there was the chance for Weldon to use them. I seriously doubt Jimmy Wu will show up in any Marvel Movie in the near Future, as would Contessa. I'm still looking forwards to this, I would just like it if there was some recognized SHIELD characters which could have their own take on in the show.

Call of Koo Koo Kachoo TheGavGav's Avatar

I'm fine with there being an original cast of characters. I'm assuming they're all part of a specific group of S.H.E.I.L.D. agents who have a specific purpose or super confidential missions so they don't interact with the rest of S.H.E.I.L.D. too often. It doesn't need characters from the comics to be good, as long as it's true to the concept of S.H.E.I.L.D. and is a good show I'll watch it. You have to think of live-action comic book adaptations as elseworlds, alternate universes, reboots or what ifs? You can make a good story without giving people exactly what they read in a comic. As long as it feels true to the concept.
    I read too many comics to list my monthly reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Which is why this was the OPPORTUNITY to introduce them to a wide audience.
    That doesn't work.
    Virtually nobody watching the show would even be aware that Jimmy Wu or the Contessa are comicbook characters. And even less people would care. The Avengers and Batman films did absolutely nothing to improve comics sales of those franchises.
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

where are the african american characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    where are the african american characters?
    Out there?

There'll likely be more than 4 characters in the show.