Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Aquaman #14 Discussion/Spoilers

You may think that the change of artists would affect the overall quality of this title and actually it does (We're talking about losing frikking Ivan Reis for Pete's sake) but not as much since this continues to be a quite enjoyable read.

Johns is using this issue to set the Throne of Atlantis crossover event as well as Arthur/Orm relationship and so far he does a pretty good job. Arthur instantly suspects that Ocean Master is the one who has been planning to stole the Atlantean Relics but their interaction is not as violent as one could expect.

The characterization of Ocean Master is pretty well done, he actually seems a different person than before and I'm glad for it since I always thought he was a one note villain.

The pencils are kinda inconsistent but it will improve once that Paul Pelletier comes aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    You may think that the change of artists would affect the overall quality of this title and actually it does (We're talking about losing frikking Ivan Reis for Pete's sake) but not as much since this continues to be a quite enjoyable read.

Johns is using this issue to set the Throne of Atlantis crossover event as well as Arthur/Orm relationship and so far he does a pretty good job. Arthur instantly suspects that Ocean Master is the one who has been planning to stole the Atlantean Relics but their interaction is not as violent as one could expect.

The characterization of Ocean Master is pretty well done, he actually seems a different person than before and I'm glad for it since I always thought he was a one note villain.

The pencils are kinda inconsistent but it will improve once that Paul Pelletier comes aboard.
    Easily the best issue of the run, at least for Johns' part.

Pete Woods' contributions are great, but don't comprise much of the issue. The Pere Perez stuff is serviceable but not very good.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I decided to give this a chance despite the loss of Reis, and I thought the fill-in artists did a decent job of mimicking his style. It's kind of funny how Ocean Master was always drawn in shadow considering he's spotlighted right on the cover. I suppose it was done to convey that we're still in the dark on what his true intentions are. Perhaps they should have revealed what he looked like on a future cover instead.

It was a good book. Odds were that Reis was going to need a fill-in by this point anyway, and I'm a big proponent of both Pete Woods and Pere Perez, although this was hardly their best work. But some panels were quite beautiful, and none of the story was interfered with - the relationship between Aquaman and Ocean Master has a really nice dynamic where you wonder just how much is true and how much isn't. The flashbacks/history lesson was pretty great. I'm a little bummed, though, that Atlanteans in the DCU have gills.

They do the gill-behind-the-ear thing in like every submariner-type story, and I'd have liked to see the DCU Atlantis be rooted in a different origin for their offshoot preposterous undersea power. (Maybe alchemically altered lungs or something).

Either way, good story, despite the loss of Reis. I am eager for Pelletier to get here, though.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

So is Ocean Master just a dirty liar or is Johns showing his descent?

Good issue.

It might be both. I really like what he's doing with Aquaman's rogues and making them sympathetic but also badass. This is the best characterization in the series yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    So is Ocean Master just a dirty liar or is Johns showing his descent?

Good issue.
    That is the million-dollar question. His loyalty to his brother seems pretty honest, and if he's lying it makes him a very skilled manipulator.

But I'd venture that he's being honest with Aquaman, and some other force is maneuvering him into more of a retaliation against the surface which will result in him being pegged as a villain and forced to occupy the villainous role. The Scepter is certainly the classic Ocean Master trident, and it's already in his hands on covers, so I imagine recovering it won't help his villainous image.

"What's a Black Manta?" was a great line.

And naturally there's the question of the Scavenger, and a few other hidden threats (Mera's father, whoever sank Atlantis, etc ...) lurking. And the Ocean Raiders - the Atlanteans from Issue # 5 with the Cobra Commander helmets, who recovered the scepter from Manta, and one of whom turned up near Vulko's place this issue. (By the way, the new Vulko is REALLY COOL.)

Ivan Reis already redesigned Atlanteans during Brightest Day and the design was very similar to his new Ocean Master design. Pre-52 or not, we don't really know if these knew Raiders are official Atlantean soldiers in Ocean Master's army or not. Their uniforms are obviously for surface raids, and slightly resemble the death squads of Xebel, but with Atlantis technology.

Didn't Johns mention that he intends to revive a surprising Aquaman villain as a new enemy? A splinter faction of Atlanteans manipulating things and forcing Ocean Master against Aquaman for their own purposes is pretty nefarious.

Last of all, I love the extended Garth/Tempest reference. The purple-eye bit all but confirms it. And the isolationist Atlanteans obviously have their own superstitions and hang-ups to worry about.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Loved this issue.

I must say Johns is bringing his A-game to Aquaman.

That being said, I suspect that Ocean Master is lying through his teeth. Even the art (which kept him mostly in shadows) would suggest that he's less than honest.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

Got it and I felt Ocean Master was being genuine. I mentioned in the other thread but Johns tends to make the villains more sympathetic. Personally, I think Ocean Master wants to create a situation where he can welcome his brother back in the fold. But this is my first in-depth read of Ocean Master so I can't comment on the changes made to him compared to his older self from pre-Flashpoint. But to me, it seemed a bit sincere... or he could have been lying through his teeth. Did love how Aquaman sent him a message though... the fish were staring at him! Hah, nice.

Also, good to see the Trench back. I really wonder how they connect to Atlantis. One thing I must say that I like about the Atlanteans since Brightest Day is that they are being given a very cool look. Its not 'Oh hi, I'm Aquaman and I'm an Atlantean'. We are seeing things like that organic looking stuff like when Aqualad opened that time capsule containing a message about his heritage and of course the Xebelian water blade stuff. Same I feel we are getting with the Atlanteans. They look and feel like an alien culture so I look forward to see more about them.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

Aquaman #14

Plot:

Aquaman meets with his brother… that’s it.

Our Hero:

I can’t tell. Does he believe him or not?

Our Villain:

Black Manta killed that guy and just sat down like it was nothing? An undeniable badass.

Our Side Characters:

Oh hi Vulko. I didn’t think we ever see you again.

Action:

It’s a discussion. What else do you want?

Dialogue:

You can cut the tension with a knife.

Art:

Nothing particularly special.

Most Memorable Moment:

Death by toilet water. Not a common thing mind you.

Final Page:

Guess whose back?

What We Should Take from This Comic:

War looks imminent as Arthur’s brother looks ready to attack even though he isn’t saying anything. What will happen next?

What We Do Take From This Comic:

So we kept Orm in the dark all throughout the comic, but he is featured prominently on the cover. What was the point?

Yay or Nay?

yay...
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 11-28-2012 at 03:29 PM.

BANNED

Am I the only one who was not fond of the art? Loved the story though. I'm glad they decided to bring the trench back after leaving them alone for a while.

I give the prelude a 9/10. After a lackluster ending to "The Others" we get an astonishing intro to "Throne of Atlantis".

Orm being in the shadows was great touch. He's obviously being coy. The brothers going at is inevitable but its good to see them interact without throwing fists. Manta turning down the Suicide Squad was great.

My major highlight is Johns hinting the third villain he has planned: Blackjack. Everyone was expecting Scavenger but I think that would be too much like Manta.

The art was good on some pages and average on others. I blame the inkers

The Tempest shoutout was a great touch and happy to see so much being thrown in a single issue. Johns is picking up the pace and delivering the epic tales he usually is known for.
    Last.FM || Favorite Hero: Aquaman || Favorite Neutral: Red Hood || Favorite Villain: Black Manta

sad thing is a lot of comic fans and old readers has never picked up an issue of this series. one of the best series of new 52.

many hear aquaman and say im not buying it. so many people are closed minded

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

I enjoyed it, but my predictions are either his brother or someone who knows about what aquaman did in the abysis = the villain... perhaps a proxy.

Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Voodoo View Post
    I give the prelude a 9/10. After a lackluster ending to "The Others" we get an astonishing intro to "Throne of Atlantis".

Orm being in the shadows was great touch. He's obviously being coy. The brothers going at is inevitable but its good to see them interact without throwing fists. Manta turning down the Suicide Squad was great.

My major highlight is Johns hinting the third villain he has planned: Blackjack. Everyone was expecting Scavenger but I think that would be too much like Manta.

The art was good on some pages and average on others. I blame the inkers

The Tempest shoutout was a great touch and happy to see so much being thrown in a single issue. Johns is picking up the pace and delivering the epic tales he usually is known for.
    I am quite new to the Aquaman mythos so excuse my ignorance but who is Blackjack?
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!