Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default The Flash #14 Discussion/Spoilers

Everything is connected to the Speed Force, I don't see any problem with that.

Barry is still fighting against the gorilla invasion along with the Rogues who are not willing to give the city to a bunch of apes. I'm really surprised about the amount of content that Manapul/Buccellato are able to fit here, every member of the supporting cast appears here and we can see how they're dealing with the whole war.

We also see the first appearance of Solovar in the New 52 and how his origin connects to Barry's motivations (Remember issue 9?) and the Speed Force, they are really hinting about future stories here.

The art?, spectacular. What more can you say about it.

I have to complement Manapul and Buccellato, they have planned this comic out very well, and are tying seemingly throwaway events in previous issues to events happening now.

In this issue, the return of Iris, Turbine being a BAMF, Rogues bickering, the citizens of the Gem Cities in peril, the very short return of Solovar, and Flash blows his secret ID.

Metal Woman

P.S. One Comic Book Guy like nitpick. Gorillas are not herbivores. They eat ants, hunt animals for meat in groups, and even sometimes engage in cannibalism.
    Last edited by MetalWoman; 11-28-2012 at 10:45 AM.

I'm sure Chimps eat meat, but I think Gorillas get their protein elsewhere.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

Good issue, great fun, beautiful art. Iris's brother has got me interested. Also in addition to being stoked on finally seeing Solovar, I couldn't help thinking that the white-furred Elder Gorilla doing the mind-tricks might be a New 52 Ultra-Humanite.

Anyway, all good and I didn't see the ending coming. Total mixed feelings on gorillas.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    Good issue, great fun, beautiful art. Iris's brother has got me interested. Also in addition to being stoked on finally seeing Solovar, I couldn't help thinking that the white-furred Elder Gorilla doing the mind-tricks might be a New 52 Ultra-Humanite.

Anyway, all good and I didn't see the ending coming. Total mixed feelings on gorillas.
    That's what I was thinking about the Elder Gorilla as well.

This may be my favorite issue yet, it was so fantastic. Art was top notch (as usual), and the story brought so many things together. Wasn't expecting Solovar to show up. He better survive for future stories! Bout time we saw Iris again. I wonder what Flash is going to do to avoid Patty knowing he's Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    P.S. One Comic Book Guy like nitpick. Gorillas are not herbivores. They eat ants, hunt animals for meat in groups, and even sometimes engage in cannibalism.
    I think they eat ants but I'm pretty sure the rest of what you said is more what chimps do.

Wait, who died? Someone please spoiler this for me!

Quote Originally Posted by neverender View Post
    That's what I was thinking about the Elder Gorilla as well.

This may be my favorite issue yet, it was so fantastic. Art was top notch (as usual), and the story brought so many things together. Wasn't expecting Solovar to show up. He better survive for future stories! Bout time we saw Iris again. I wonder what Flash is going to do to avoid Patty knowing he's Barry.
    The thing for me is, although I understand and can acknowledge the history of why gorillas in comics are a thing and "make everything fun" ... I don't think I've ever actually particularly liked any gorilla-based stories. There was that huge 90s gorilla crossover, for instance; JLApe. Conversely, though - I always did like the Superman and Justice League Animated stuff, whether it be the original Fleischer era Titano (man, you don't get moodier than that), the updated Titano story, or the coolness of Ultra-Humanite and Grodd in JLU. Monsieur Mallah and Brain were pretty cool on Young Justice, too.

But in actual comics this is the first time I've liked a gorilla story, and the first time I've loved Grodd and seen him as just as necessary a Flash villain as the Rogues, Abra Kadabra, Alchemy and the rest.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    I think they eat ants but I'm pretty sure the rest of what you said is more what chimps do.
    this, also positive Gorillas in terms of who you would probably be more safe with if they are starving is Gorillas

I don't know.

Okay, in terms of plot I'm enjoying this. I like the concepts, I think a lot of work has been put into the way these plot lines are intersecting, and it's good, good stuff.

The artwork is fantastic. The threat feels real.

But the characters...the characters don't have much personality, and that's the cardinal sin for a book, I think. I'm just not feeling like any of the characters - villains, heroes - have strong, distinct voices. It feels very much that everyone is doing and saying what they need to say given their 'roles', but verbal tics, wit, etc are missing.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Allen123 View Post
    Wait, who died? Someone please spoiler this for me!
    No one dies, the book leaves us hanging until next month! :)

I love this damn book. Aside from Wonder Woman, it's my favorite New 52 book. Manapul and Buc are geniuses together. Hopefully, Manapul's upcoming absence won't hurt the book.

The pages that say "DC presents the Flash are always extraordinary.

I thought this issue was really good, an upgrade from #13 for sure. Loved how they introduced Solovar and how he will serve as a foil for Grodd. The way Manapul drew Grodd was TREMENDOUS, he is a complete force and kind of literally took over every page he appeared on.

I think these guys have done a stellar job building up a supporting cast for the book. Patty is the heart of your supporting cast, that older cop who is Barry's father figure (can't remember his name) is good, I like how Turbine is now actively trying to help out and become a hero, you've got the Singh and Piper relationship that I really want to see more of, I like how Iris has been handled, lord knows what Elias is up to, Daniel West looks really interesting as a reformed citizen...most of these characters are either new creations or significantly revamped, and they all feel really natural and appropriate for the story, and I really like reading about all of them. I love that Patty now knows Barry's identity, that should add to and significantly change their relationship in interesting ways.

Very good issue. After 13 I was a little "meh" about Gorilla Warfare but I really liked this.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    But the characters...the characters don't have much personality, and that's the cardinal sin for a book, I think. I'm just not feeling like any of the characters - villains, heroes - have strong, distinct voices. It feels very much that everyone is doing and saying what they need to say given their 'roles', but verbal tics, wit, etc are missing.
    I understand those complaints but the story itself is so enjoyable and Barry is such a likable protagonist that it makes me forget those flaws.

At least the issues are not as overwritten as before and the dialogue flows better, baby steps I guess.

I really hope Solovar doesn't die. We JUST met him!
    And I hope he becomes a bigger character in Flash's life.
    I have always been a huge Solovar fan and I would really like for him not to be a guest character that shows up randomly every five years.
    It would be great to see him as a supporting character in the Flash's life.
    My guess is that he will take over as rule of Gorilla City when Grodd is defeated. He will also have the answer to defeating Grodd.
    Grodd will be imprisoned and will swear revenge on the Flash for taking everything from him; the speed force and his city.
    What about Congorilla though? Wasn't he mentioned in issue one of Justice League International?
    I suppose I would rather have Solovar then Congorilla though.