Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Superior Gamma Burst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    1,745

    Default Thor: God of Thunder #2 *Spoilers*

    Another brilliant issue! This team is firing on all cylinders and, again, this is my favourite book from marvel NOW!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Charlie_1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    2,134

    Default

    Another wonderful issue, really I liked a lot the young Thor and the way he fights against the God-Butcher.

    What Im not understand is why on Newsarama, they does a so negative review when this book is really good and everyone knows it, maybe at first, some people would believe that this seems more like a storyline fitting on a limited series than the beginning of a run but surely at issue#6 we will see the take of Aaron on Asgard and the different and known Asgardians.

  3. #3
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,547

    Default

    This is without doubt my favorite Marvel NOW book.

    It's a perfect combination of art and story telling.

    Excellent stuff.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  4. #4
    New Member adey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Another wonderful issue, really I liked a lot the young Thor and the way he fights against the God-Butcher.

    What Im not understand is why on Newsarama, they does a so negative review when this book is really good and everyone knows it, maybe at first, some people would believe that this seems more like a storyline fitting on a limited series than the beginning of a run but surely at issue#6 we will see the take of Aaron on Asgard and the different and known Asgardians.
    As far as I'm aware Aaron is specifically sticking with Thor centric stories for the time being beyond the God Butcher arc. Which I think is a great thing because we haven't seen enough of Thor in his own book over the last few years.

    It's about time we are able to get a grasp on what Thor is and how he actually thinks as a god than the usual one-dimensional bullshit most writers tend to portray him.

    I'm very glad we have a thinking Thor for a change...
    the other Asgardians can stay out of the book for a while as far as I'm concerned.

  5. #5

    Default Thor God Of Thunder #2

    Just finished reading Thor God of Thunder #2 and WOW!!!!! What an issue!!!! Jason Aaron's writing is even better in this issue than the first. Ribic's art is just OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!!! His style and detail that comes out in his characters is just amazing. I won't give anything away or spoil the book for anyone. I just HIGHLY recommend that people go out and Pick this book up.

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Can't wait to get home and read it tonight.

  7. #7
    Senior Member jameszahra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,558

    Default

    i wasnt gonna pick thor:god of thunder up at all...i have the whole mighty thor run and it was very average..but i havnt heard one bad thing bout the new marvel now thor...
    i think im gonna have to pick this up if ppl say its that good

  8. #8
    Senior Member Deep_Sleeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley600 View Post
    Just finished reading Thor God of Thunder #2 and WOW!!!!! What an issue!!!! Jason Aaron's writing is even better in this issue than the first. Ribic's art is just OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!!! His style and detail that comes out in his characters is just amazing. I won't give anything away or spoil the book for anyone. I just HIGHLY recommend that people go out and Pick this book up.
    I have to wait till tomorrow to buy and read this book! Damn you, Jason Aaron, Esad Ribic, and Dean White for your amazing monthly comic. A trade collector like myself hates all your guts!
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

    Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

    Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

  9. #9
    Critical Critic nosocialize100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England.
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    I don't understand folks who say this book is disjointed from the three Thor's...especially since this issue follows one of the three through the whole book! I loved the first issue and this is great too.

    I wrote a review with pictures at the link in my signature if anyone is interested.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

  10. #10
    Senior Member HaveAtThee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,402

    Default

    Read it earlier and I thought it was quite a strong follow-up to an excellent opening issue. It seemed clear that this issue would focus on Thor's first meeting with Gorr (which was pretty epic), and the ending suggests that the next issue will focus on present-day Thor finding his way to confront Gorr. The overarching narrative of Aaron is brilliant in that he captures who exactly Thor is in many different instances. Esad Ribic's attention to detail and overall natural beauty is stunning. This creative team-up was the perfect choice for Thor, and we the readers are reaping the benefits.

  11. #11
    Star Blazer Will.S's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,912

    Default

    Split this from the advance reviews just to separate the critics reviews from actual forum discussion.

  12. #12
    Confused by custom titles
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    413

    Default

    For the past 3 years, Thor fans have been burdened with a Thor who had varying patterns of speech (courtesy of Bendis and Fraction; one wanted Shakespeare, the other wanted Hoboken), a penchant for getting beaten by lesser villains (and ersatz heroes) and forgot that he was a God. Not coincidentally, this coincided with declining sales of the monthly comic -- despite a re-launch occasional fillip brought on largely by Olivier Coipel's beautiful artwork.

    Not anymore.

    For the past two issues now, Jason Aaron has brought back a Thor who actually lives up to the title of his book. This is Thor: God of Thunder. In this second issue of what I hope will be a long run by Jason Aaron and his collaborator, Esan Ribic, we see Thor doing something he hadn't done in a while: overcome an adversary with something other than his fist and hammer (or axe, as the case has been).

    I can't remember the last time Thor used his elemental powers in battle -- it's been, hit this, smash that, rinse-repeat. Of course, technically, this instance of Thor using his command over lightning in a last-ditch effort to defeat Gorr happened well before the past 3 years (or even his modern Marvel appearances bar a few Tales of Asgard) but it's refreshing to see a Thor writer actually remember that Thor isn't just Superman with a hammer (and even then, Superman has other powers that he uses more frequently than Thor has).

    This tells me that Jason Aaron knows what he's doing. The fact that he's doing it through the clever convention of a tale unfolding across time is even more compelling -- as is the prospect of Thor travelling to different locales and worlds to hunt a God killer.

    The artwork by Ribic on this issue continues to impress although Ive Svorcina's water-color style gives the book a somewhat different look than Dean White's digital pseudo-painting. I don't necessarily prefer one over the other so much as it's evident that their styles are different: one has a brighter palette; the other a moodier, darker tone. Both are beautiful compliments to Ribic's artwork.

    Two issues in and I'm greatly impressed; I hope to be able to say the same thing 20 issues from now.

  13. #13
    Senior Member jphamlore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,289

    Default

    Is there some way to consolidate discussion on one thread instead of multiple ones?

  14. #14
    Senior Member HaveAtThee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpbl1976 View Post
    For the past 3 years, Thor fans have been burdened with a Thor who had varying patterns of speech (courtesy of Bendis and Fraction; one wanted Shakespeare, the other wanted Hoboken), a penchant for getting beaten by lesser villains (and ersatz heroes) and forgot that he was a God. Not coincidentally, this coincided with declining sales of the monthly comic -- despite a re-launch occasional fillip brought on largely by Olivier Coipel's beautiful artwork.

    Not anymore.

    For the past two issues now, Jason Aaron has brought back a Thor who actually lives up to the title of his book. This is Thor: God of Thunder. In this second issue of what I hope will be a long run by Jason Aaron and his collaborator, Esan Ribic, we see Thor doing something he hadn't done in a while: overcome an adversary with something other than his fist and hammer (or axe, as the case has been).

    I can't remember the last time Thor used his elemental powers in battle -- it's been, hit this, smash that, rinse-repeat. Of course, technically, this instance of Thor using his command over lightning in a last-ditch effort to defeat Gorr happened well before the past 3 years (or even his modern Marvel appearances bar a few Tales of Asgard) but it's refreshing to see a Thor writer actually remember that Thor isn't just Superman with a hammer (and even then, Superman has other powers that he uses more frequently than Thor has).

    This tells me that Jason Aaron knows what he's doing. The fact that he's doing it through the clever convention of a tale unfolding across time is even more compelling -- as is the prospect of Thor travelling to different locales and worlds to hunt a God killer.

    The artwork by Ribic on this issue continues to impress although Ive Svorcina's water-color style gives the book a somewhat different look than Dean White's digital pseudo-painting. I don't necessarily prefer one over the other so much as it's evident that their styles are different: one has a brighter palette; the other a moodier, darker tone. Both are beautiful compliments to Ribic's artwork.

    Two issues in and I'm greatly impressed; I hope to be able to say the same thing 20 issues from now.
    Very well said, and I agree wholeheartedly. Aaron is laying the groundwork for an epic tale of the God of Thunder. What I took away from these past two issues is that everything Aaron and Ribic are doing is bringing meaning to the title character and his exploits.

    -Sinister and powerful villain? Check.
    -Magnanimous yet flawed protagonist? Check.
    -Grim and eerie mood? Check.
    -Unique plot direction and locales? Check.

    The plot might appear to be decompressed but Aaron manages to cram in several elements that make up Thor in just a few pages and panels. Our young adult Thor is desperate to prove he is worthy simply by being a fearless warrior with celebratory status amongst his worshipers. Almost on cue, the appearance of both butchered deities and Gorr himself are serious enough where Thor realizes he's not on just another adventure with his band of Vikings. The scenes of the Vikings navigating through fog and ending up in cold and cloudy Russia serve as a vital backdrop to Aaron's tone of dread. Both story and artwork are working together in harmony to deliver a rock-solid plot. I'm also pleased that there hasn't been any 'outside interference' by other Marvel characters in Thor's title, though Aaron hinted that Iron Man is to appear in the next issue. Hopefully it's a minor cameo.

    What I found striking is that when I walked into the shop today (around afternoon time), out of all the Marvel NOW! new issues, Thor's had the fewest amount of copies left. I talked to the owner and he said that people have been gobbling it up, which is interesting given that it double-shipped in November.

  15. #15
    Star Blazer Will.S's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    Is there some way to consolidate discussion on one thread instead of multiple ones?
    Yes, both threads are now merged so this will be the main thread for Thor #2 discussion.

    However, as always the CBR review thread will remain it's own for traffic purposes given that it's linked to the main news site.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •