Default Thor: God Of Thunder #2 *Advance Review*

Here are some early reviews from the second issue.
    It looks like it's another solid issue by most with the exception of Newsarama.

I'm not one to go by other website reviews but it seems as if the book is really hit the floor running.

Looks good again.

adey

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/con...-god-thunder-2

http://www.comicvine.com/thor-god-of.../staff-review/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...under-2-review

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/best...ws-121127.html

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adey View Post
    Here are some early reviews from the second issue.
    It looks like it's another solid issue by most with the exception of Newsarama.

I'm not one to go by other website reviews but it seems as if the book is really hit the floor running.

Looks good again.

adey

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/con...-god-thunder-2

http://www.comicvine.com/thor-god-of.../staff-review/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...under-2-review

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/best...ws-121127.html
    That Newsarama review is pretty negative though.

It seems that guy has a problem with a Thor that isn't brash and angry. He pretty much said so in his first review.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Speaking of, i haven't really read that new Thor stuff, did they gave him his brain back or are we stuck again with Thor the barbarian ?

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Olvia View Post
    Speaking of, i haven't really read that new Thor stuff, did they gave him his brain back or are we stuck again with Thor the barbarian ?
    Oh, they have definitely given him his brain back.

He used it a lot (something we haven't seen in a long time) in Thor: God of Thunder #1.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Nice. I'm going to give it a try then.

Thanks for the answer.

We'll Be Waiting For You godzilla2099's Avatar

I actually like Thor as a Barbarian. Reading about a pissed off Viking God is more fun, but I don't like him written as a fool either

I don't like a super smart Thor either. One with a temper, pride, but not crossing the line to doofusville
    Last edited by godzilla2099; 11-28-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla2099 View Post
    I actually like Thor as a Barbarian. Reading about a pissed off Viking God is more fun, but I don't like him written as a fool either

I don't like a super smart Thor either. One with a temper, pride, but not crossing the line to doofusville
    That's not Thor. He's not Viking, he's Asgardian. He may be hot headed but I rarely would say he gets 'pissed off'.

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla2099 View Post

That's kind of more Hercules than Thor though. And that's not a knock against Hercules, it's part of the charm of the character.

Thors got a dash of that... but he's also a god so that's mixed in with a bit more nobility and mystique.

We'll Be Waiting For You godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superchick View Post
    That's not Thor. He's not Viking, he's Asgardian. He may be hot headed but I rarely would say he gets 'pissed off'.
    I always thought Asgardian and Viking were the same. Much like Olympian Gods and Greek

Just a preference though.

Anyway, excellent issue.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That's kind of more Hercules than Thor though. And that's not a knock against Hercules, it's part of the charm of the character.

Thors got a dash of that... but he's also a god so that's mixed in with a bit more nobility and mystique.
    Yes but what is often forgotton is that when Hercules "died" his mortal half was shunted down to Hades and what remained was his pure god form brought up to Mount Olympus. THUS Hercules became a full fledged god.

Confused by custom titles

The guy who writes Newsarama's review is probably Matt Fraction's brother-in-law or some Fraction fan boy... seriously, it's just ridiculous.

Regardless, no one really reads Newsarama anymore; it's just a bunch of ongoing paid advertisements for the Big Two publishers and (occasionally) the other smaller publishers. There are blogs out there that are far better. I mean, when was the last time Newsarama had an "exclusive" that wasn't quickly picked up by CBR, Bleeding Cool, iFanboy and the others?

I tend not to get too bent-out by reviews; mostly I read them as a form of entertainment. Reviews are entirely subjective, which is why I've taken issue with some of CBR's "reviewers" claiming to objective -- as if you could be entirely objective about art (literary or visual). After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In that sense, you either agree with them or not.

I am loving this story. Young Thor is bad ass and the fight scene is drawn wonderfully. Can't really think of any complaints. This maybe the best book of Marvel Now.
    "Some people look to the past for answers. I look to the future for solutions." --- SJH

I always thought Asgardian and Viking were the same. Much like Olympian Gods and Greek

Just a preference though.

Anyway, excellent issue.
    They are not the same at all. The Greeks worshipped the Olympians and Vikings and various Scandanavian groups worshipped the Norse gods, Asgardians One are the mortal groups who revered that god.

Classically, Thor was only prideful and the most barbaric before his banishment to learn humility. He was obsessed with his own power and that is why he was humbled. Making him brash, a fight at all cost warrior, hard headed, stubborn and somewhat blood thirsty ignores the core of that story. Not to mention the Asgardians of Marvel were never barbarians per se. They had tough times in their history but they are usually quite advanced.

I have enjoyed Aaron's Thor so far. Seems more like the classic Thor but one book in is to early for me to say if that trend continues so far. I hope it does. And it looks like issue 2 is good.