Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 228
  1. #31
    Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    JEEEEAAAN
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    It's a bad panel, and there will be many like it to come. Buying or boycotting, however, isn't likely to make any difference.

  2. #32
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    how about some perspective.... is the position exaggerated for effect.. sure. just like the male figures flexa little more then what natural





    She has booty.

    What's wrong with that?

    I love booty.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  3. #33
    BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London/NEW YORK
    Posts
    11,998

    Thumbs down

    WHOOPS! I didn't realise what "back breaker" means: I assumed the OP was refering to Misty Knight cracking the guy's leg bone; since the word "nauseates" was used. It's about a butt shot? Really? HAHAHAH!!!
    a) I actually appreciate the artist gave Misty a bit of a booty (lots of black women have a slightly "heaftier" bottom, and I appreciate the artist took his subjects ethnicity into account when drawing)
    b) if this was an image from New Avengers; where not a single woman made the main cast, yeah... I'd be p*ssed too. But it's about an ALL FEMALE ON-GOING COMIC. We have to, we simply MUST support it; otherwise it will be years before we get another one. To boycott this, over such a harmless image... it defies belief. And to use the word "nauseates"... oh, grow a pair, good sir. If this was that tentacle porn cover from Heroes For Hire, YES... I would understand creating a petition to have the artist removed (but NOT boycott the book). It's not the writers fault the artist did this.

    Quote Originally Posted by spaceglaciers View Post
    Before I start, let me establish:
    1. The Defenders are my favorite team.
    2. I think Val has every right to be the leader after all this time.
    3. The concept of the book is fitting to me.
    4. I am a passionate advocate for the representation of women and minorities in comics, and I think this book could have been a significant spotlight for a lot of awesome women in the Marvel Universe.

    HOWEVER
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/pr...pid=1354037131
    This is our very first preview page, and it already has Misty Knight performing "the back-breaker," an image that nauseates me.
    This conversation has drawn a lot of attention lately (http://eschergirls.tumblr.com/ for the unfamiliar) and it frankly INFURIATES me more than I have EVER felt ANY fan-rage before to discover that this book that had SO MUCH POTENTIAL is, in fact, displaying the backward-ass thinking it would have been the ideal candidate to combat.
    This is (now I know what is being talked about) THE silliest reason I've read to boycott a book since someone claimed Young Avengers wasn't diverse.

    I will be buying Fearless Defenders. And I encourage EVERYONE to do the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    That's a great ass shot.. I'm sold!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 11-28-2012 at 01:21 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

  4. #34
    Few days on drugs? Lovely pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,696

    Default

    In this situation, it would be more sensible to buy the book and then complain to the people working on the book.

    Although I disagree with the OP's methods, I'm disgusted by what's been said in this thread. This, for example:

    Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    how about some perspective.... is the position exaggerated for effect.. sure. just like the male figures flexa little more then what natural

    http://static3.depositphotos.com/100...exy-Dancer.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_u2E-MoGOjw...acebook+06.jpg
    Comparing the way Misty is drawn, to "sexy dancers" is just proving spaceglaciers' point, that Misty IS in a ridiculous and hyper-sexualised pose.

  5. #35
    C'est kinky Seresecros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    20,837

    Default

    I didn't realise you were allowed to make threads like this in the MU forum. I'd better get to work on my thread explaining how I won't buy Thor until Marvel alter the hammer to include a claw at the back

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    Problem being that is Misty Knight she dont Minaj booty Pose for no-one. Its out of character.




    Did you actually read the series that you're quoting? Which would be the 2006 Daughters of the Dragon series. Which contained many boob and booty shots from Misty. According to that series, it is in character for her.
    "I want to see beautiful people doing amazing things." - Grant Morrison

  7. #37
    Junior Member Game Show's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josh straightedge View Post
    For one, no fan has the right to ask people to deny creators a chance at work. This is what people do for a living. Just don't buy it. But, don't be an ass because you feel wronged. Get over it
    Yeah, get over the right of free speech! And discouraging people from supporting a product is exactly the same as denying people the chance at work, everyone knows that

  8. #38
    THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    WHOOPS! I didn't realise what "back breaker" means: I assumed the OP was refering to Misty Knight cracking the guy's leg bone; since the word "nauseates" was used. It's about a butt shot? Really? HAHAHAH!!!
    a) I actually appreciate the artist gave Misty a bit of a booty (lots of black women have a slightly "heaftier" bottom, and I appreciate the artist took his subjects ethnicity into account when drawing)
    b) if this was an image from New Avengers; where not a single woman made the main cast, yeah... I'd be p*ssed too. But it's about an ALL FEMALE ON-GOING COMIC. We have to, we simply MUST support it; otherwise it will be years before we get another one. To boycott this, over such a harmless image... it defies belief. And to use the word "nauseates"... oh, grow a pair, good sir. If this was that tentacle porn cover from Heroes For Hire, YES... I would understand creating a petition to have the artist removed (but NOT boycott the book). It's not the writers fault the artist did this.


    This is (now I know what is being talked about) THE silliest reason I've read to boycott a book since someone claimed Young Avengers wasn't diverse.

    I will be buying Fearless Defenders. And I encourage EVERYONE to do the same.


    As an African-American male, I whole heartedly endorse this post.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

  9. #39
    Super Moderator Global Honored's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,063

    Default

    Right or wrong, I think Misty has always had and used her sexuality, it's part of her persona. This wouldn't be that "out of character." She was born from the Pam Grier butt-kicking blaxploitation sister craze. Sure this is 2012 and characters evolve and Misty has but to knock this book as pure hyper-sexualization is missing the point. This is an all-female title that seems to be pushing for strong female leads and storylines. If Misty has to show off her assets every now and then to get results, whether in character or metatextually thru sales to a mostly male audience....well....kick butt sexy sister!

  10. #40
    Disciple of En Sabah Nur Harbinger of Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    I don't think the reasoning in the OP is a valid one for discouraging people on this book to be honest. I mean, the points listed as being positive greatly outweight the one negative which is just about a panel. If it was terrible writing, bad team placement, butchering of characters, bad story or something more significant then I could see maybe... maybe it would be a reason for people to be put off. But over one panel that can be changed? Personally, I am quite encouraged by Cullen Bunn's work for Fearless Defenders. An all female team? Check. Use of underused characters? Check. A definitive ploline? Check. All good things in my opinion.

    On the whole Valkyrior thing, it depends whether Valykrie has to strictly get them from Midgard or not. If yes, then it could mean a number of magical and alien characters get excluded like Phyla-Vell and Clea. On magical, I think I would be content with either Jennifer Kale, Satana or Clea. Kale because she could really be explored more, Satana because of her ties to her brother and Clea because she has a history with the Defenders in the past. All three are good choices in my opinion for a Dr Strange on the team.

    Cullen's also been writing Wolverine and he has used Elsa Bloodstone there so would be interesting if he brought her along. Her experience as a monster hunter would be an interesting addition.
    I am Apocalypse! Look upon the future and tremble!
    I am as far beyond Mutants as they are beyond you. I am eternal.
    Evil? I am not malevolent, I simply am!

  11. #41
    Elder Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,536

    Default

    I will be buying this new series as well.
    To engourage people not buy a new series featuring a all female team,something that was absent from Marvel publishing line because of one pannel (Which is miles ahead of the exagerated pose of Catwoman in that famous cover of issue 0) does not make sense.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

  12. #42

    Default

    This thread just sold about 500 extra copies.....

  13. #43
    Elder Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    58,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spaceglaciers View Post

    This is our very first preview page, and it already has Misty Knight performing "the back-breaker," an image that nauseates me.

    This conversation has drawn a lot of attention lately (http://eschergirls.tumblr.com/ for the unfamiliar) and it frankly INFURIATES me more than I have EVER felt ANY fan-rage before to discover that this book that had SO MUCH POTENTIAL is, in fact, displaying the backward-ass thinking it would have been the ideal candidate to combat.
    I'm a little disappointed actually. When you said she was performing the back-breaker I was sorta hoping that meant she was hitting the wrestling move. That would have been kinda cool.

  14. #44
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    I apologize to OP.

    I really thought you were a troll account, but I found out you are real on Tumblr. Again, I'm really sorry, but I really hope you would PM me so we can talk about this.

  15. #45

    Default

    I am going to buy this book simply because if I take a stand here, I will be forced to cancel all my pre-orders for everything that Psylocke is in going forward:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	psy.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	104970
    "Cyclops was RIGHT!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •