Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnghtJared View Post
    I take it the same as any other superhero comic--a perfectly balanced combination of drama and ridiculousness.
    That's how I normally go with comics, but that scene there just seems to go a bit too much into the ridiculousness that it kind of feels out of place in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by ElMacho View Post
    Does this issue indicate that the immortal Dr.Hurt/Darkseid is guiding Talia's actions behind the scenes?.
    I guess that, or that Talia dug Hurt up as an means to her own end. This seems more likely to me, but I doubt it matters much as this is an alternate reality that we'll likely never see again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    That's how I normally go with comics, but that scene there just seems to go a bit too much into the ridiculousness that it kind of feels out of place in a way.
    Most superhero comics are just as ridiculous, Morrison just doesn't try to pretend otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Most superhero comics are just as ridiculous, Morrison just doesn't try to pretend otherwise.
    Again, I don't mind ridiculous, but this is going a bit far me. That can't be helped.

BANNED

It's not going too far, it's just more self-aware about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    It's not going too far, it's just more self-aware about it.
    Yah, self-aware and me aren't best of friends. We had a falling out after I saw Funny Games.

What scene? Do you mean the whole issue?

I can't see what could seem "ridiculous." It's Batman's ultimate defeat.

Gotham is burning as a result of Joker's ultimate gag, Hurt convinces the president to nuke the city, everybody dies and the city Bruce vowed to protect is in ashes.

Seems like pretty serious stuff to me.

Batman's ultimate foes win.

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I really enjoyed this issue as well. BUT...(please don't hit me) it's not enough story/art/action! With the bookends with Bruce it's short on information. I loved the relationship Gordon and Damian have, the world there, and hell maybe we'll get more of it in future issues...but damn was I not satiated!
    It was thin on developments in the ongoing Leviathan / Bruce- Talia- Damian story. But there's enough material here that echoes back to earlier parts of the run (and clues as to what's coming up) that it will keep me busy dissecting the issue for some time.

Awesome issue, nice to revisit the 666 universe even if it was very tragic. Although the end makes me wonder if Damian in the 666 future can even survive a nuclear blast or if even the 666 future can have its own alternate futures? Since in Batman #700 in one of the futures we see an old future Damian mentoring Terry McGinnis as Batman Beyond, so can Damian still eventually be Batman without this issues events happening?

Wonder if we will see Dr Hurt in present times eventually or least a reference to him, like someone trying to dig him up.

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    What scene? Do you mean the whole issue?

I can't see what could seem "ridiculous." It's Batman's ultimate defeat.

Gotham is burning as a result of Joker's ultimate gag, Hurt convinces the president to nuke the city, everybody dies and the city Bruce vowed to protect is in ashes.

Seems like pretty serious stuff to me.

Batman's ultimate foes win.
    I'm talking about the Bat-Cow thing. This whole issue was completely serious (though those uniforms the army guys were silly. Why wear sunglasses at night? Is it to keep track of the visions in their eyes?) so the tone was fine for me.

Again, I don't mind ridiculous, but this is going a bit far me.
    Right, but there's nothing written by Morrison you've actually liked, so that's obvious. There's nothing in the entirety of Morrison's run that's more ridiculous than some of Jason Aaron's zanier plotlines, for instance. This is pretty standard stuff for the industry.

And if you're trade waiting, then you haven't read the Bat-Cow scene in proper context.

Quote Originally Posted by tylenoljones View Post
    Right, but there's nothing written by Morrison you've actually liked, so that's obvious. There's nothing in the entirety of Morrison's run that's more ridiculous than some of Jason Aaron's zanier plotlines, for instance. This is pretty standard stuff for the industry.

And if you're trade waiting, then you haven't read the Bat-Cow scene in proper context.
    But the only thing I read by Jason Aaron is Scalped and I like Joe the Barbarian!

That is true. I won't say more, it just seems ridiclous to me after rereading through the earlier Batman stuff in the run by Morrison. So prehaps Inc. Vol. 2 is a much more different tone in comparison to the rest of the run.

So prehaps Inc. Vol. 2 is a much more different tone in comparison to the rest of the run.
    It's not really. Wait til you read the scene in question. There's a reason so many people post that page.

That is true. I won't say more, it just seems ridiclous to me after rereading through the earlier Batman stuff in the run by Morrison. So prehaps Inc. Vol. 2 is a much more different tone in comparison to the rest of the run.
    I'd say v2 is different in tone from maybe the earlier parts of Morrison's run, but not from Batman & Robin onwards.

You're not alone in liking less wackiness in your Batman books though. I think that's one of the things, in my own experience, that turns people off Morrison even more than the labyrinthine plots. Especially in the wake of the Nolan films.

It is a tough sell to have humourous or surreal moments with a character that people always think of as so serious. But there was a time when Batman was the star of a comedy show.

Edit: Off topic, but if you only liked Joe the Barbarian you'd probably find WE3 and Vinamarama by Morrison more to your liking, if you haven't read them already. They're both kind of out there conceptually, but more... grounded than Morrison's usual stuff. Never read Flex Mentallo, no matter what anyone tells you. You'll hate it :)
    Last edited by tylenoljones; 11-28-2012 at 05:29 PM.

BANNED

Honestly I think the tone in Batman and Robin as well as in Inc here pitch perfect. There's a sense of dread and seriousness, but with this immensely kinetic and surreal tone, and the creepiness of the threats they are up against helps with that surreal aesthetic.

Snyder's Batman is kind of similar, except the camp is just ironic and unintentional.