Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default recommend me some Black Cat stories?

so I recently picked up The Evil That Men Do I was liking it at first but it wasn't long before it turned to rape-play :(
    I also got The Return of Black Cat and while I enjoyed it, it was WAY too short. So I was just wondering, what are some GOOD Black Cat stories? I know most stories don't center around her, but one's where she's a central part of the story are fine too, like say during the BIG TIME! arc
    Last edited by ceroxide; 11-27-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ceroxide View Post
    so I recently picked up The Evil That Men Do I was liking it at first but it wasn't long before it turned to rape-play :(
    I also got The Return of Black Cat and while I enjoyed it, it was WAY too short. So I was just wondering, what are some GOOD Black Cat stories? I know most stories don't center around her, but one's where she's a central part of the story are fine too, like say during the BIG TIME! arc
    My favorite Black Cat story was "Nothing Can Stop the Rhino", the Sensational Spider-Man #34, set just before OMD, where the Parkers are on the run after Peter outs himself and decides to leave Stark Tower along with his family(stupid, STUPID move and the beginning of the end). Anyway, he has a tussle with the Rhino and gets beat up bad, and as Aunt May and MJ tend to him, Felicia decides to exact revenge on the Rhino for his actions. The story is very touching. Also, one of the very few times when Felicia comes face to face with Mary Jane and Aunt May.

Oh yeah, and "The Evil That Men Do" was crap. Why Smith had to victimize Black Cat was beyond me. If he had to have a character give a PSA about bouncing back from a traumatizing childhood experience, he might as well have had Peter refer to his own childhood "incident". At least that backstory existed and wouldn't have come out of left field to leave behind a horrible, sexist stench.

Spider Powered Time Lord Spider-Mike's Avatar

My personal favourite storyline is "Evil That Men Do",

I know loads of people don't, but I absolutely love it.
    SPIDER-MAN: Hey there, my name's Spider-Man, and this is my trusty sidekick Wolverine!
    WOLVERINE: *Growls*
    (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Mike View Post
    My personal favourite storyline is "Evil That Men Do",

I know loads of people don't, but I absolutely love it.
    "Evil That Men Do" is one of the few comic stories that makes me legitimately angry, but to go into why would derail the thread. ^^;

Try to pick up the "Spider-Man vs. Black Cat" trade paperback; it's on discount in a lot of chain stores, and it contains the first couple of BC story lines. Also, "Amazing Spider-Man Presents: The Black Cat" is pretty enjoyable. Solid story where she matches wits with the Kraven clan before the Grim Hunt, and has some wonderful art.

Spectacular Spider-Man #75-100, which featured Spider-Man (not Peter Parker since Cat only accepted Spidey persona) and Black Cat's relationship. Broke up by 100, about a handful more appearances after that, in various SPECTACULARS and WEB OFs between 1986-1987 involving a deadly triangle between them, and Foreigner, whom Cat was playing both he and Spidey, which definitely ended by Spectacular #129, just in time for Pete / MJ's marriage arc. After that, Felicia, I shall regard as a shameless homewrecker since, during the marriage, and after, because Peter and Mary Jane is still married in my heart.
    Last edited by ngroove; 11-27-2012 at 01:10 PM.

She got a lot of page time in Marvel Knights: Spider-Man if I recall.

I have to admit though that the first half of Evil That Men Do is one of the more memorable Black Cat storylines I've read.

There was a great Spidey & BC vs Dr Doom story with art by David Finch.
    I really enjoyed that one.
    I think it was in Spiderman Unlimited. . .
    Square City Comics - Come check us out!

The gold standards are the Roger Stern two-parter from Amazing Spider-Man #226-227 (collected in Spider-Man Megazine #2, the "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut" Marvel Premiere hardcover or the Spider-Man VS Black Cat TPB) as well as the Owl/ Doctor Octopus War from Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #72-79.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Spectacular Spider-Man #75-100, which featured Spider-Man (not Peter Parker since Cat only accepted Spidey persona) and Black Cat's relationship. Broke up by 100, about a handful more appearances after that, in various SPECTACULARS and WEB OFs between 1986-1987 involving a deadly triangle between them, and Foreigner, whom Cat was playing both he and Spidey, which definitely ended by Spectacular #129, just in time for Pete / MJ's marriage arc. After that, Felicia, I shall regard as a shameless homewrecker since, during the marriage, and after, because Peter and Mary Jane is still married in my heart.
    This x1000

Quote Originally Posted by okpanic View Post
    She got a lot of page time in Marvel Knights: Spider-Man if I recall.
    Yeah, I was going to recommend this, issues 1-12 of Marvel Knights: Spider-Man was really good.

Her recent mini-series wasn't too bad either, altough she seems to work alot better when Spidey is involved in the story as opposed to solo. Stay away from "Claws" and "Claws 2" however, they are absolute crap.

Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #115 is a great story! It deals with Spidey going to Doctor Strange to ask his help in removing whatever Felicia is doing to Spidey to cause him all sorts of bad luck.
    Well, things don't go according to how Peter Parker wants them to now do they?!

Just to add my two cents worth: the BEST thing about "The Evil That Men Do" was/IS Terry Dodson's gorgeous artwork! Kevin Smith totally ruined that story! He took sooooooooo long to finish it after issue #3, that he himself said that when he got back to the story he just wanted to get it done. No respect for the characters AT ALL. He's a hack.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled Mutie View Post
    My favorite Black Cat story was "Nothing Can Stop the Rhino", the Sensational Spider-Man #34, set just before OMD, where the Parkers are on the run after Peter outs himself and decides to leave Stark Tower along with his family(stupid, STUPID move and the beginning of the end). Anyway, he has a tussle with the Rhino and gets beat up bad, and as Aunt May and MJ tend to him, Felicia decides to exact revenge on the Rhino for his actions. The story is very touching. Also, one of the very few times when Felicia comes face to face with Mary Jane and Aunt May.

Oh yeah, and "The Evil That Men Do" was crap. Why Smith had to victimize Black Cat was beyond me. If he had to have a character give a PSA about bouncing back from a traumatizing childhood experience, he might as well have had Peter refer to his own childhood "incident". At least that backstory existed and wouldn't have come out of left field to leave behind a horrible, sexist stench.
    See?! I TOTALLY agree here!
    Also, Sensational #34, is one of the BEST Black Cat stories EVER!! EXCELLENT! Especially Sean Chen's art!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The gold standards are the Roger Stern two-parter from Amazing Spider-Man #226-227 (collected in Spider-Man Megazine #2, the "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut" Marvel Premiere hardcover or the Spider-Man VS Black Cat TPB) as well as the Owl/ Doctor Octopus War from Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #72-79.
    I think I have the Megazine but I haven't read it so that's something I gotta do this weekend :) Spectacular #'s 72-79 I gotta look for those but I don't think they're too hard to find, thanks :D

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Yeah, I was going to recommend this, issues 1-12 of Marvel Knights: Spider-Man was really good.

Her recent mini-series wasn't too bad either, altough she seems to work alot better when Spidey is involved in the story as opposed to solo. Stay away from "Claws" and "Claws 2" however, they are absolute crap.
    damn thanks, I was just about to buy Claws and I'll start looking for Marvel Knights

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCatGuy View Post
    See?! I TOTALLY agree here!
    Also, Sensational #34, is one of the BEST Black Cat stories EVER!! EXCELLENT! Especially Sean Chen's art!
    noted, I'll get it today when I go to my LCBS :)

Any Black Cat appearance until Peter married Mary Jane.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCatGuy View Post
    Just to add my two cents worth: the BEST thing about "The Evil That Men Do" was/IS Terry Dodson's gorgeous artwork! Kevin Smith totally ruined that story! He took soooo
    ooooo long to finish it after issue #3, that he himself said that when he got back to the story he just wanted to get it done. No respect for the characters AT ALL. He's a hack.
    It's sad that the quality in the story dipped down when he came back to it after that long sabbatical, but I loved how he wrote Felicia and presented her relationship with Spidey in the first three issues. She was still insanely flirty as per her character, but also more mature and well rounded - she knew that she had acted completely irresponsibly in the past but finally realised that she was a fool to let Peter go and that she had lost something special. It was the kind of dimension to her character she had been missing for a while, not being distilled to just a sex object but a woman who has feelings and emotions too.

Sadly with Brand New Day, all of this character work regarding her relationship with Peter (which was continued in MK and Sensational Spidey) was completely regressed, which is a shame.