Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I am curious if you would be asking this question if 'London' had been replaced with 'Manhatten'?
    Phil Jimenez did Wondy and Donna in Manhattan - a big, marble penthouse - and it SUCKED! So, yeah...I'd be asking the same question.

Outsider, ..I love the London locale, just fine. Love the Hammer films, Benny Hill, James Bond, Doctor Who, Prime Suspect, Dickens, William Blake's Britomart and Monty Python's Flying Circus. Even loved Gorgo! All I want to know is whether she's in a house or a mansion ..and could care less where in London it is. Seriously...do you think answering that simple question will hurt Mr. Azzarello's widdle feelings? Give him a headache, maybe?

My best guess is they don't know and haven't given it much thought, ..because, to be fair, they're not writing/publishing a comic book. They're publishing a compilation of newspaper-styled cartoon strips, in a comic book format.

Or he's counting on people being smart enough to know what kind of living accommodations are actually available in central London.
    So, I should consult a travel guide to follow Wonder Woman, now? A comic book? Idelson had better count, again.

I'm pretty sure you're not holding knowledge of Central London's living accomodations as some kind of standard measure of intelligence. Might not knowing the living accomodations presently availble in the Naylor-Dupont district of Washington, D.C. be equally indicative of one's dimness? Ha-ha'ha...

You're not the Devil, but you are sounding increasingly like [Donald Trump].
    Thanks, Outsider!
    Last edited by MelDyer; 01-10-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: clarity
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."
    Cassandra on Orion of the New Gods (Wonder Woman #26)

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    Outsider, ..I love the London locale, just fine. Love the Hammer films, Benny Hill, James Bond, Doctor Who, Prime Suspect, Dickens, William Blake's Britomart and Monty Python's Flying Circus. Even loved Gorgo! All I want to know is whether she's in a house or a mansion ..and could care less where in London it is. Seriously...do you think answering that simple question will hurt Mr. Azzarello's widdle feelings? Give him a headache, maybe?
    Azzarello's London is another failure of imagination. Everything in it is typical of what an American would expect to see in London: Big Ben (how else do we know where we are?), pubs, and the Thames. It's a city of clichés, another example of Azzarello's inattention to detail.

All I care about is that she doesn't pick up the nasty accent. If she's going to do that, move her to Glasgow stat.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Azzarello's London is another failure of imagination. Everything in it is typical of what an American would expect to see in London: Big Ben (how else do we know where we are?), pubs, and the Thames. It's a city of clichés, another example of Azzarello's inattention to detail.
    Poor Azzerello, to have you hate him so.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Yes, and had she been in New York it would have been filled with shots of the Statue of Liberty, Chrysler Building and Empire State.

Phil Jimenez did Wondy and Donna in Manhattan - a big, marble penthouse - and it SUCKED! So, yeah...I'd be asking the same question.
    Why? You appear to know what it was already.

No I dont think it will hurt him, but your question is one I'd imagine he would answer with: "Can't you tell?" Or "Don't you know the difference?"

My best guess is they don't know and haven't given it much thought, ..because, to be fair, they're not writing/publishing a comic book. They're publishing a compilation of newspaper-styled cartoon strips, in a comic book format.
    If that helps you cope.

So, I should consult a travel guide to follow Wonder Woman, now? A comic book? Idelson had better count, again.
    No you should have paid attention during class.

I'm pretty sure you're not holding knowledge of Central London's living accomodations as some kind of standard measure of intelligence. Might not knowing the living accomodations presently availble in the Naylor-Dupont district of Washington, D.C. be equally indicative of one's dimness? Ha-ha'ha...
    I dont usually, but this is getting worrying because I'd figure it was common sense.

Thanks, Outsider!
    Dont mention it. :)

Veteran Member

We could tell by what we saw in the panels that it was probably q rqi4ly upscale place, right? So if we knew London, then that would probably narrow down the neighborhood a little. If we don't know London, on the other hand, what good would the name of the neighborhood do us?

Wonder Woman lives in an apartment in central London.

She's clearly settled in, having a full weapon/armor cabinet, so it can't just be a hotel room, and the cabinet is in her bedroom, which probably means the area she's in doesn't have a lot of space(as one would have with a house or a mansion).

I guess Wonder Woman is a rather generic, slow-moving Vertigo comic, now, ..posing as a superhero comic. As I don't think Mr. Azzarello is interested in doing a superhero comic, he's turned this comic into a Vertigo, and I'm sure that's fine and dandy with some of you. If you want to read a Vertigo comic, with a superhero in it, here you are.

[Just] Zola and [Just] Lennox have been entertaining, so far. I think it's entirely right that Wonder Woman, being an American icon, should have a brother, who is a British superhero, ..even a retired one. Zola is a spectacular successor to Etta Candy, and I'm sure something cool will eventually be done with Lennox.

DC Comics has given us two or three Flashes, Hawkmen and Green Lanterns. Now, it's given us a second or third Wonder Woman, with a new origin and background, and I'm solidly behind that. I'm long over the loss of the 'clay doll' origin, accepting Mr. Azzarello's Amazon as an entirely new being, ..one in a long line of Wonder Women. For my money, the real or original Wonder Woman is still out there somewhere, in the multiverse.

I'm at peace with that. All of it.

I just don't think I want to read a Vertigo comic, masquerading as Wonder Woman, right now. Fourteen issues is enough. I'll leave it at that.
    WW now owes a lot to Gaiman's Sandman, with these seemingly immortal characters all given vastly different and modern personalities. However, where even the most evil characters in Sandman (ie. Lucifer) had some charm and intelligence about them, I find all these children of Zeus to be petty, snarky, and ultimately one note. If not for Cliff Chiang's amazing artwork, I would have quit this title long ago.
    The story isn't moving along at all. It's just one more sibling intro after another, but no answers to any mysteries.....

Quote Originally Posted by flamemasterelan View Post
    Wonder Woman lives in an apartment in central London.

She's clearly settled in, having a full weapon/armor cabinet, so it can't just be a hotel room, and the cabinet is in her bedroom, which probably means the area she's in doesn't have a lot of space(as one would have with a house or a mansion).
    No...she's not clearly settled in a London apartment.

Many wealthy people have, at times, moved into a luxury hotel (usually, a suite of rooms) for extended and seemingly indefinite stays, and they have the money to afford it. In turn, the hotels are extremely accomodating and provide these wealthy guests with whatever they need to feel perfectly at home. A historic example of this would be young, wealthy Senator John F. Kennedy Jr. (years before his presidency) taking up indefinite residence in a well-appointed Washington, D.C. hotel, ..called the Dorchester.

Famous movie star, Cary Grant, lived at Warwick Hotel in Manhattan, for over TWELVE YEARS.

Both rockstar Janis Joplin [Lennox isn't the first. LOL] and legend Bob Dylan lived in the Chelsea Hotel, also in New York City, for a few years. Not passing through. Lived there.

When Beattle John Lennon and Yoko Ono first came to New York (as a couple), they moved into two, expansive, adjoining suites in the St. Regis Hotel, ..where they wanted for nothing.

If you want to do London, author Ernest Hemmingway lived in a Dorchester Hotel, there, for some extended stretch. This is hardly uncommon, when guests with astronomically deep pockets are involved.

We really don't know where in Hades Wonder Woman lives, and Mr. Azzarello hasn't shown any interest in telling us she lives, anywhere. We don't know if she lives in a suite of rooms in a large mansion that she owns ..or leases. We don't know if she lives in a luxury apartment. We just don't know, and, considering it's ONLY Issue #16, ..we bloomin' well should know.

Imagine ..[John Lennon pun intended] whatever you like.
    Last edited by MelDyer; 01-27-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    "I collect beings like him and cut them open--so I can hold in my hand what makes them tick."

Veteran Member

No...she's not clearly settled in a London apartment.

Many wealthy people have, at times, moved into a luxury hotel (usually, a suite of rooms) for extended and seemingly indefinite stays, and they have the money to afford it. In turn, the hotels are extremely accomodating and provide these wealthy guests with whatever they need to feel perfectly at home.
    Well, if she's moved her armory into a suite of rooms where she is enjoying an extended and seemingly indefinite stay, then she's probably pretty settled in, isn't she?

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Well, if she's moved her armory into a suite of rooms where she is enjoying an extended and seemingly indefinite stay, then she's probably pretty settled in, isn't she?
    But settled into what or where? Azzarello doesn't bother to tell us, because Mark, the editor, hasn't made him tell us. What is he, scared of the guy? Doesn't want to hurt his feelings? What's the dealeo?

We have absolutely no idea where she lives. Imagine whatever the Hell you like.

Veteran Member

But settled into what or where?
    Rooms in central London. Whether she owns those rooms or rents them from an apartment owner or from a hotel that offers long-term residency isn't very important to me. I also don't care whether Clark Kent has a one-year lease or rents month-to-month, or what his address in Metropolis is. But to each their own. I'm sorry you're not getting the info you want.
    Last edited by slvn; 01-27-2013 at 07:24 PM.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

[QUOTE=MelDyer;16448597]Phil Jimenez did Wondy and Donna in Manhattan - a big, marble penthouse - and it SUCKED![/QUOTE

I liked it. Bruce Wayne lives in a mansion that makes the penthouse look like a treehouse, and has a personal sevant waiting on him.
    Last edited by brettc1; 01-27-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

Moderate Moderator Javier Velasco's Avatar

The issue with the London apt, hotel, pad, mansion is less what it is and more what it isn't. Diana doesn't seem to have any immediate past history before the first issue of the run.

She "lives" in London, but doesn't seem to know anyone there. When we visit Paradise Island, it is clear she hasn't been there for a while. So over a year later, who did Diana hang out with before she met Zola and the Gods?

But then that seems to be the case with most of Azzarello's characters. Very few of them seem to have done anything yesterday, or last week.

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Rooms in central London. Whether she owns those rooms or rents them from an apartment owner or from a hotel that offers long-term residency isn't very important to me. I also don't care whether Clark Kent has a one-year lease or rents month-to-month, or what his address in Metropolis is. But to each their own. I'm sorry you're not getting the info you want.
    Slvn...really. Diana lives in 'some rooms' in Central London? How does that even sound? That doesn't make any damned sense, and you know that.

If an illustrator, who couldn't be bothered to draw a costume, decided that Aquaman will be swimming around bucknaked from now on, you could justify that, too. Well...does he really need clothes, swimming as fast as he does? Is that realistic? Ever catch [Ha!] a trout in Brooks Bros. suit? Aquaman being the first naked superhero makes a great deal of sense, really.

Really?

As it stands, as of Wonder Woman #16 - that's over a YEAR - we really don't know where Wonder Woman lives or that she lives anywhere! We know she 'operates' out of London and that she sleeps in the buff. The continuing narrative of Wonder Woman's adventures has virtually no definition or structure. You and others here may be fine with that, but, it leaves a feeling of unfinishedness lingering over the story. It feels like Azzarello's taking us in a new direction, but can't really say ..because his vision is incomplete.

I don't care that some of you write that off as clever or artsy, on Mr. Azzarello's part. It doesn't change the fact that his vision is incomplete, unfinished, lacking definition usually considered to be standard in a comic book story. Furthermore, it's refelctive of a lack of commitment to the comic, and the subsequent uncertainty of that ..makes it hard for me to commit to the comic.

What choice do we have, ..considering Mr. Azzarello and Mr. Idelson aren't giving us alot of options?
    Last edited by MelDyer; 01-28-2013 at 05:26 AM.

Veteran Member

Slvn...really. Diana lives in 'some rooms' in Central London? How does that even sound? That doesn't make any damned sense, and you know that.
    I'm not trying to fight with you about it, Mel, or to somehow persuade you not to care about what you care about, but to me, it genuinely doesn't make sense to worry about whether or not the place in London is considered a hotel, when we can see that she's settled into it. If you live in a "hotel" as long as Hemingway or some of the other people that you mentioned, then that "hotel" is your home. We know that she lives in London. It doesn't matter to me--until it matters in the story--if she owns her place, rents it from a corporate landlord or private individual, or rents-it long-term from a hotel. I'm not her real estate agent or a UK taxman. I'm not even trying to send her a letter.
    Last edited by slvn; 01-28-2013 at 04:58 AM.