Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Bedlam #2

"Swing Low."

Full preview here.

Been looking forward to this all month, last issue had me begging for more. Hope it doesn't take to long for story to start making sense though.

Creepy preview. So far this book has been a pleasant surprise. Honestly, the first issue was a better Joker story than what we've been getting in the actual Batman comic lately.

Wanderer of Kildre Hill eDKeener's Avatar

Loved the first issue of the series. Really looking forward to this one.

Great covers, great art, great writing. Can't wait to read this later today.

I'm definitely on board with this series. I'm hesitant to go into detail because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet, but this issue expands on the first in interesting ways while still leaving many of the characters and their motivations a mystery (in a good, they'll probably elaborate on this in interesting fashion later on kind of way). Madder Red's current living situation is stranger than I anticipated, but he still feels unpredictable and dangerous despite his recent.. ah, changes.

A good bit of this issue focuses on another serial killer, and it's good that he just doesn't feel like a copycat of Madder Red. It wouldn't be interesting for a book with two serial killers to have them acting too similar, and Spencer did a great job in that regard, really giving them their own unique motivations.

I'd love to talk about Rossmo's art, particularly two pages that were really striking, but again, I don't want to spoil too much. Maybe later. For now, I'll just say that it's not just a nice compliment to the story, but it really elevates it. Nothing's more disappointing that watching a horror movie and having the villain look ridiculous at the moment of their big reveal; but i'm happy to say that isn't the case here. The shocking moments deliver in spades. Irving's cover work is great too.

I agree with everything tylenoljones said. LOVING this book. The curtain is being pulled back at just the right pace for me.

One question: if you look at the picture on the back of the book you see a character in the Madder Red mask, but with mechanical wings. We see those wings on the other serial killer. What do you take from that?
    PULL: Chew, Walking Dead, Saga, Batman, Lil' Gotham, Bedlam, Hellboy in Hell, Jupiter's Legacy, East of West, The Wake, Sex, Trillium, Miracleman, Sandman Overture, Rocket Girl, Sex Criminals

Quote Originally Posted by ugdave View Post
    I agree with everything tylenoljones said. LOVING this book. The curtain is being pulled back at just the right pace for me.

One question: if you look at the picture on the back of the book you see a character in the Madder Red mask, but with mechanical wings. We see those wings on the other serial killer. What do you take from that?
    I don't have the issue at hand, but I'll try to tackle the question based on what I remember from my first read-through: Spoilers ahead

Madder Red seems to know more about this other serial killer than he's letting on (he claims he has special insight into the case, at any rate. Could simply be his way of saying that he's a killer as well, but it could mean something more). I think it's too early in the story to say for sure. The image you mention implies a connection of some kind, but at this point there are too many possibilities. They could know each other, or know of each others work. They could even have collaborated at one point (trying to avoid spoilers, but this is somewhat supported by Madder's actions on the last page. Although personally I'd guess Madder's just trying to get closer to the investigation, or someone involved with the investigation).

It could also be that the scars on angel-man aren't self-inflicted, as I first assumed, and he's been through adjustments similar to what Madder Red went through at the hands of the good doctor. Perhaps he was a sex-criminal? So in that way the image would suggest a similar transformation between the two of them. Maybe a sign that these rehabilitative methods aren't all they're cracked up to be.

It could also imply a future partnership. It could mean anything, really. We haven't even gotten into angel-man's reasons for commiting murder (perhaps he feels he's writing wrongs, and "helping" by killing evil people, ala Dexter? Complete speculation, but it could point to Madder doing something similar in the future).I suspect we'll know more soon.
    Last edited by tylenoljones; 11-29-2012 at 11:56 AM.

I just read issue 2. This might be my favorite comic right now if they keep it up.

Knew I forgot something this week. -.-
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

Mr. Postman just dropped this book off for me yesterday afternoon. I felt like a 8 year old kid waking up on x-mas morning. I grabbed the book ran to my desk and started to read it, only to get interupted by the wife for leaving a mess from opening the box. Upon finishing the book and yes, cleaning up my mess. I jumped online and looked up the release date for #3 this book has me by the.......I just dont want to put it down and want to know whats going to happen next.

Im curious to see.......
    More about the good ole doctor and his nurses. You know he wont be happy with the recent developements.
    What will happen when our new hero is sitting in jail and another murder happens.
    Also, is this the same killer who has killed the "old people" or a 2nd killer?

As someone who's just returned to the hobby a few short months ago, the other thing this book has me wanting to do is find some more Nick Spencer work and see if this is just a book I like or if this is a writer who I can't not read whatever he's working on. Morning Glory's here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by MT2 View Post
    Morning Glory's here I come!
    Just a tip - Morning Glories is COMPLETELY different in tone and style. It's also a REALLY SLOW burn with tons going on that is somewhat hard to figure out along the way. We're in issue #23 on that book and I still really don't have a clue what is going on. I'd say pick up the first TPB on the cheap if you can and make a decision from that. But in my opinion it really has absolutely NOTHING in common with Bedlam (other than a mystery aspect which I sure hope moves faster in Bedlam than it does in MG).
    PULL: Chew, Walking Dead, Saga, Batman, Lil' Gotham, Bedlam, Hellboy in Hell, Jupiter's Legacy, East of West, The Wake, Sex, Trillium, Miracleman, Sandman Overture, Rocket Girl, Sex Criminals