Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 95
  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stelok View Post
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...umpingTheShark

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark


    The gimmick of Mary Marvel being gone to the Dark side has ruined the quality of the storyline a bit.

    Batman's death was an attempt to keep the readers' interest and for the comics' quality to stay fresh. It fails, because there have been too many deaths before Batman.
    I disagree with your untimely statements.
    ASM, ELEKTRA, SILVERSURFER, DAREDEVIL, MOONKNIGHT, SHEHULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, MM, INVINCIBLE, INVINCIBLEU, MANHATTAN PR, E OF W, BLACKSCIENCE, BEDLAM, VELVET, TWD, SAGA, Mignolaverse, MASSIVE, MIND MGMT

  2. #32
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,416

    Default

    Wow, so many people have a problem with Thomas Wayne Jr when it was obviously left open to interpertation. Can't understand that.

  3. #33
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    8,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    Wow, so many people have a problem with Thomas Wayne Jr when it was obviously left open to interpertation. Can't understand that.
    They can't either.

  4. #34
    Senior Member hunter_peterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Launceston, Tasmania
    Posts
    2,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    Wow, so many people have a problem with Thomas Wayne Jr when it was obviously left open to interpertation. Can't understand that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    They can't either.
    It being a dumb piece of storytelling has nothing to do with the ambiguity, which it was fairly obvious they were going to go with anyway. It has to do with literally nothing actually in the story foreshadowing the "reveal" and with it basically adding nothing to the story besides a guy shouting "I'm also your brother too, isn't that eeeeevil!?" It was just out of nowhere and lost any possible weight because of that. I mean, why should we care that Lincoln March might be Thomas Wayne Junior? And what in the story AT ALL led up to that moment? Nothing.

    However, if we're talking about the storyline, that can't be a jump-the-shark moment. That story jumped the shark when the Talon army was awoken and dispatched to openly attack Gotham. I mean, the secret ninja assassins who went unconfirmed for over a hundred years and worked for a secret organization that controls Gotham from the shadows just decided that they should ditch the secret part entirely? And this in a world that now has superheroes. Not to mention that they sent dozens of Talons to Wayne Manor for some reason, when they hadn't bothered to find out Batman's identity and did not in fact suspect it. Sure, he'd escaped them before, but if you're sending the Talons, might as well use just a few and hit more of those other targets. On multiple levels this whole Night of the Owls makes no sense.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

  5. #35
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    It being a dumb piece of storytelling has nothing to do with the ambiguity, which it was fairly obvious they were going to go with anyway. It has to do with literally nothing actually in the story foreshadowing the "reveal" and with it basically adding nothing to the story besides a guy shouting "I'm also your brother too, isn't that eeeeevil!?" It was just out of nowhere and lost any possible weight because of that. I mean, why should we care that Lincoln March might be Thomas Wayne Junior? And what in the story AT ALL led up to that moment? Nothing.
    We were told that Martha had lost a baby because of the Court. So you allways knew there was a brother, but he was supposed to be dead.

    Also, most of the things on the story came from the fact that he hated Bruce for thinking he was his brother. So yeah, there was a reason. Or would you prefer "I was born evil, so mwahahaha to you, Batman".
    Last edited by Bruce Kent; 11-27-2012 at 09:22 AM.

  6. #36

    Default

    The time Dr. Hurt said he was Batman's father. That was dumbest thing I've ever read in comics at that point and it's amazing that I ever took that character seriously again. It was so far out of left field and even after rereading all of the events that led into Batman RIP, I still don't see how I was ever to believe him. Got great flashbacks to Empire Strikes Back though.

    I'm also going to mention Stephine Brown's death, Cassandra Cain turning evil, and Mary Marvel going evil as well in Countdown. I don't need to explain them. You already known why they are bad.

  7. #37
    Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    JEEEEAAAN
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Except he wasn't, meanwhile...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Batman - When TJ Wayne was revealed
    Just painful on so many levels. The way it was WRITTEN. TBH I love Jim Lee but I am terrified of the new Superman comic.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    Except he wasn't, meanwhile...
    Oh I know that. It's just I couldn't believe it on any level and found it really bad. Really took me out of the comic and hurt the ending (though the ending really stunk anyways, so the blow wasn't that big).

    Now TJ Wayne thing, which isn't true regardless, I didn't believe either. However, I found it just so amusing and silly that it doesn't bother me that much.

  9. #39
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,416

    Default

    A big part of Dr Hurt was that he tried to destroy the image of Bruce's parents. To add credibility to that he said he was his father, to try to make Bruce at least doubt that the things being told about his mother were true. Bruce never bought it and it was never showed to the reader as something plausible, so it was clearly allways Hurt lying to further screw with Bruce. Again, can't see how it is silly or "jumping the shark". It was a person lying. Probably the same with Owlman.

  10. #40
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Oh I know that. It's just I couldn't believe it on any level and found it really bad. Really took me out of the comic and hurt the ending (though the ending really stunk anyways, so the blow wasn't that big).
    Batman didn't believe it either so you're in good company. Wasn't the point of the story at all.

  11. #41
    Senior Member Guicho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,780

    Default

    How did these two never meet?

    vs.
    Last edited by Guicho; 11-27-2012 at 09:55 AM.

  12. #42
    Senior Member Jake Fury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,658

    Default

    Less than 2 pages for this to turn into a Snyderbash. Impressive.

    Superboy Prime punching the walls of reality and bringing Jason Todd back to life.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

  13. #43
    Senior Member tylenoljones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Fury View Post
    Less than 2 pages for this to turn into a Snyderbash. Impressive.
    There's a distinction to be made between bashing a creator versus bashing a plot point. Especially in a thread made for the sole purpose of tearing down stories. A Snyder book was bound to come up, just as surely as a Morrison book will. Oh wait, too late.

    Seriously, if people would stop acting so outraged that someone could possibly find flaws in Snyder's work, the discussion probably would have moved on by now.

    Superboy Prime punching the walls of reality and bringing Jason Todd back to life.
    That's got my vote. One of those moments were I actually felt my intelligence was insulted. Pretty much put me off comics for awhile too, as the part of the country I was living in made them hard to get anyway.

  14. #44
    Senior Member Jake Fury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,658

    Default

    Just making a joke regarding Snyder. I think the story had some good and not so good moments.
    Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Constantine, Earth-2, Suicide Squad, Phantom Stranger, Forever Evil, Rogues Rebellion, Arkham War, ARGUS, Iron Man & Unity. Trades: Saga, East of West & Lazarus.

  15. #45
    All Caste Warrior JasonTodd428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Acres of All
    Posts
    2,612

    Default

    -Superboy Prime punching reality as the reason Jason Todd returned to life.
    -Turning Cassandra Cain evil
    -Dr. Hurt claiming to be Bruce's father
    -Morrison jumped the shark by letting reader's know that Bruce was merely shot through time when all the characters thought he was dead (minus Tim). Made all the character reactions to his death lose all emotional impact for me since I knew it was not true.
    Characters come and go, revamped and revisited. But as long as you enjoyed them, remember them and continue to appreciate them, then that character, your hero or heroine, will always exist.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •