Default First comic for child?

I'm thinking a little in advance, my little boy is 11 mos old, so I know it'll be awhile but what would be a good comic to start him on when he does learn to read?

Comics are tricky to read for very young kids, and they are particularly hard to read to a kid.

What we've done is to get some prose books that star his favourite characters that we can read to him at bedtime, but that are also nice for him to look at.

Check on Amazon, as they're usually quite cheap.

The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

I would say show him the cartoons and note who is his favourite hero from DC or marvel the.n get the books that were suggested. I've seen hundreds in Tkmaxx for a couple of pounds.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Probably some Harvey cartoon comics. Something with recognizable characters and short simple stories. Of course the Harvey characters might not be all that recognizable anymore. There's a handful of comics geared toward the really young. Marvel has magazines with comics and word puzzles and games for kids to play. You can find them at Walmart. I think probably the best thing would be a children's book featuring comic characters though.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

Back in April there was mention of a Sesame Street comic that was to be released by APE Entertainment it was due by the end of the year. However we are now nearing the end of the year and I have yet to see an issue. They do however have the licenses for many kid-friendly properties including Richie Rich, Kung Fu Panda, etc.

My best recommendation would be to look at what he enjoys once he is old enough to read (with a parent and/or on his own) and see if there are any comics based on that. He might be into superheroes, he might be into dinosaurs, he might be into baseball, he might be into superhero dinosaurs that play baseball, who knows?

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

One of the best comics I have ever seen for very young children is Jeff Smith's 'Little Mouse Gets Ready'.
    http://toon-books.com/book_littlemouse_about.php
    A lot of the other stuff in the 'Toon Book' line is also great. I'm especially a fan of the 'Benny and Penny' stuff.
    Andy Runyon's 'Owly' is also the bee's knees. As is James Kochalka's 'Johnny Boo' stuff. Both from Top Shelf, I believe.

But yeah, 'Little Mouse' would definitely be my first choice.
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

My kids love the Polo books. They are wordless comics, very cute. http://www.goodreads.com/author/show...4.Regis_Faller

The Eric Shanower Oz books are nice, fairly simple to read and the art is beautiful. He's also adapting the new Marvel Oz books with Skottie Young, and the art is quite different (quite a bit more cartoonish and "wild") but also excellent in its own way.

Shanower's:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shanoz.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	104957

Young's:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skotoz.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	104958
    A Fool for the Foom

i lik dono duck.it help me reed

Superman Family Adventures
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pól Rua View Post
    One of the best comics I have ever seen for very young children is Jeff Smith's 'Little Mouse Gets Ready'.
    http://toon-books.com/book_littlemouse_about.php
    A lot of the other stuff in the 'Toon Book' line is also great. I'm especially a fan of the 'Benny and Penny' stuff.
    Andy Runyon's 'Owly' is also the bee's knees. As is James Kochalka's 'Johnny Boo' stuff. Both from Top Shelf, I believe.

But yeah, 'Little Mouse' would definitely be my first choice.
    Yeah, I was gonna suggest Owly.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

11 months year old baby can't read.I don't think young infants can read until they are 2.You can just give your baby a simple picture book so he can look at it.

I have heard of a really smart girl reading a chapter book at the age of 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    11 months year old baby can't read.I don't think young infants can read until they are 2.You can just give your baby a simple picture book so he can look at it.
    I have heard of a really smart girl reading a chapter book at the age of 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    I'm thinking a little in advance, my little boy is 11 mos old, so I know it'll be awhile but what would be a good comic to start him on when he does learn to read?
    Yup. The OP digs that. He's got it covered.

That said, reading TO children is wonderful. Picture books like Owly, Little Mouse (or, for that matter Where the Wild Things Are or The Monster At The End Of This Book) are great, because the kids can follow the pictures, and the story as it's being read to them. They get an idea of narrative, of cause and effect, can guess what's coming up next which engages their imagination, and get to spend quality time with their parents. Just a win all round.
    Last edited by Pól Rua; 11-28-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: dropping some of the snark
    "Loudly proclaiming that you are above childish things isn't a sign of maturity - it's proof of adolescence." - Schnitzy Pretzelpants

Co-host of The 'Mike & Pól Save The Universe' Comics podcast - check it out on www.mikeandpol.com

As a father of five who successful managed to brainwash 4 of them into comic books there really is one correct answer...The Tiny Titans. It's kind of like the Teen Titans except they are tiny. They are in grade school. Deathstroke is the principal. Dr. Light is a teacher. Trigon is a substatute teacher. Darkside is the lunch lady (although he has filled in as janitor a couple times). The also have Titans Pet Club (of which the first rule is not to talk about pet club). Oh, and Bat-Cow.

If you dig 'Tiny Titans' and haven't seen it yet, you should REALLY check this out.
    http://jl8comic.tumblr.com/