Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Superman, #14

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Skill View Post
    Man I must be the only one who doesn't want Lois and Clark together, bickering couples in fiction was never my thing.
    You're not alone. It's not that I think Lois is a bad character. I like her, I really do. But I've always thought that Supes and Wondy make a better couple.
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye Len (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Skill View Post
    Man I must be the only one who doesn't want Lois and Clark together, bickering couples in fiction was never my thing.
    I don't know. When Lois and Clark were together, they were a pretty healthy and supportive couple. Now that they are separated again, they bicker all the time. It's been 14 issues and we already have all this drama. Whatever they want to do with the romance story is fine with me. I'd just like them to pick one, Wonder Woman or Lois, and explore it properly rather than read all this high school jealousy BS. If they want to really explore the Wonder Woman romance, do that. Don't make it seem like WW is Clarks silver medal, when he can't get Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, in Superman issue 2, when Clark is apologizing for arriving unanounced and well......clearly disturbing them, she says Johnattan is "just a friend from out of town wanting to share my good fortune". Kinda sounds more like the description of a sex friend than a romantic relationship to me (at least, I know that if I was describing my girlfriend as "just a friend" and she founf out about it, I would be a dead man) .
    Jonathan wasn't just a friend with benefits, though. Lois and Jonathan are clearly dating several issues later. Perhaps that night was the beginning of their friendship becoming something more. I don't know. It seems the writers and editors at DC don't care about, you know, storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus View Post
    Seconded and you are not alone bro. There are many who feels it's bland, uninteresting and most often than not, Lois's unrelenting bigmouth pisses me off silly - she just keeps going - yappin' away like there is no tomorrow. Put a cork in it Lois, ffs.
    This hardly describes Lois Lane. What Lois Lane are you talking about? So far, in the New 52, Clark talks more than Lois and his words have more of a bite to them. Is Clark an unrelenting big mouth, too?

The reason people do not voice their opinion as much is from the fear of getting crushed under walls. You'll will know what I mean --soon.
    Oh look, off-topic forum talk again.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yeah man you're not alone. While their love story is may favorite in comics for what it represents and well the fit for one another, I just feel like trying something new. I'd like to see the relationship with Wonder Woman because it's so very taboo for both Superman and Wonder Woman. I'd love to see it taken seriously and have it become the staple of the new 52 for some time if not till the next reboot....just to see what it's like, ya know.
    The relationship between Superman and Wonder Woman has a taboo quality about it because they are not well-suited to each other in terms of what their individual myths require both thematically and narratively. It is obviously not being written as a long-term relationship at this point. DC is not going to permanently pair off two of its premier heroes just a year into a reboot. DC, if it is true to its word, will want to use the reboot as a chance to explore several new storylines, including other relationships for its characters. The fact that DC has jumped on a Superman and Wonder Woman romance this early on in the New 52 is the most obvious clue that it is not going to endure for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    As several posters already pointed out, you are not alone. I am also tired of the whole Clark/Lois thing. In my opinion she is not very likeable, no matter which incarnation and Clark deserves someone far better. But she has decades of history, so unfortunately in the end he will end with her.
    I'm wondering, if you don't mind, what it is that makes Lois Lane unlikeable in your eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    You're not alone. It's not that I think Lois is a bad character. I like her, I really do. But I've always thought that Supes and Wondy make a better couple.
    What makes them a better couple?
    Last edited by misslane38; 12-03-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Infme et fier de l'tre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    Jonathan wasn't just a friend with benefits, though. Lois and Jonathan are clearly dating several issues later. Perhaps that night was the beginning of their friendship becoming something more. I don't know. It seems the writers and editors at DC don't care about, you know, storytelling.
    Possibly,but if we stick from Clark's point of view, he stumble upon them while they about to "be doing it", then when the subject is brought up (in a manner that wasn't problematic, since it was just him saying "hey, sorry about last time"), she is almost dismissing him ("ho, him? He's just a friend"), then he sort of see them at a date, and then they're moving together. I can see why it would a bit confusing for him, especially if they really are best friends, as Lois claims a few times (which doesn't mean his attitude is classy or whatever). I don't know about you, but when I have a girlfriend, my best friends tend to know about it fairly quickly, especially if it reaches the point where we live in the same place.
    basically there is two possibilities: either Johnatan really was a friend with benefits by the time of issue 2, and then things just moved kinda fast, and you could argue the fact Clark and Lois don't see each other quite as often as before is the reason he's completely unaware of it. Or when she says he is just a friend, she lies, and then you could wonder why exactly would she lie about it to her supposed "best friend", and why she thinks Clark would have been able to convince her to not move in with the guy had she told him.
    As for the storytelling thing......well, the thing has been chaotic. Perez, then Griffen/Jurgens, then Lobdell in about a year, it's much, especially with Perez stating they don't know what they want. Now, hopefully, they have made up their mind, but we can't really tell so far.

Possibly,but if we stick from Clark's point of view, he stumble upon them while they about to "be doing it", then when the subject is brought up (in a manner that wasn't problematic, since it was just him saying "hey, sorry about last time"), she is almost dismissing him ("ho, him? He's just a friend"), then he sort of see them at a date, and then they're moving together. I can see why it would a bit confusing for him, especially if they really are best friends, as Lois claims a few times (which doesn't mean his attitude is classy or whatever). I don't know about you, but when I have a girlfriend, my best friends tend to know about it fairly quickly, especially if it reaches the point where we live in the same place.
    basically there is two possibilities: either Johnatan really was a friend with benefits by the time of issue 2, and then things just moved kinda fast, and you could argue the fact Clark and Lois don't see each other quite as often as before is the reason he's completely unaware of it. Or when she says he is just a friend, she lies, and then you could wonder why exactly would she lie about it to her supposed "best friend", and why she thinks Clark would have been able to convince her to not move in with the guy had she told him.
    As for the storytelling thing......well, the thing has been chaotic. Perez, then Griffen/Jurgens, then Lobdell in about a year, it's much, especially with Perez stating they don't know what they want. Now, hopefully, they have made up their mind, but we can't really tell so far.
    I could understand, maybe, Clark being confused at the very first moment he encountered Jonathan. However, when he made the "booty call" comment in this issue he would have had the benefit of hindsight, and that insight would have been something he had for at least a few months, which means he would know better than to ever describe Lois' relationship with Jonathan a booty call because that was only ever a mistaken impression on his part. He can't say to Lois in this issue that it surprised him to see Jonathan change from a booty call into the love of her life, if he knows a change such as that never took place because Jonathan was never just a booty call. Clearly, the booty call comment and the love of your life comment of Clark's are hyberboles he used to intensify his point to Lois and more emphatically express his hurt over seeing her relationship with another man progress when he'd rather it disappear. So, Clark calling Jonathan a booty call, when he knew Jonathan never was, is another example of him acting like a jerk to score points in an argument. It was rude.

I could understand, maybe, Clark being confused at the very first moment he encountered Jonathan. However, when he made the "booty call" comment in this issue he would have had the benefit of hindsight, and that insight would have been something he had for at least a few months, which means he would know better than to ever describe Lois' relationship with Jonathan a booty call because that was only ever a mistaken impression on his part. He can't say to Lois in this issue that it surprised him to see Jonathan change from a booty call into the love of her life, if he knows a change such as that never took place because Jonathan was never just a booty call. Clearly, the booty call comment and the love of your life comment of Clark's are hyberboles he used to intensify his point to Lois and more emphatically express his hurt over seeing her relationship with another man progress when he'd rather it disappear. So, Clark calling Jonathan a booty call, when he knew Jonathan never was, is another example of him acting like a jerk to score points in an argument. It was rude.
    How the hell is he supposed to know that? He saw the guy twice, once after which he was told he was told he was "just a friend", and one who was a random date, which honestly didn't necessarily meant much considering he was on the dinner table with Lucy Lane, a girl he never met. If I was in Clark's place, i would also be like "that was fast".
    Lois, his supposed "best friend", never actually engaged the conversation about her boyfriend. I don't know, I mean,when I'm in a relationship, generally I'm all like "guys, guys, I've got a girlfriend" with my pals. Not only that, but the narration is outright stating that Lois didn't tell him she was moving in willingly, because "he would have been able to convince her not to" (a comment that seems to put aside the possibility she just didn't have time to tell him). Let's put two and two together: she says Johnatan is "just a friend", then she admits she's chosen not to tell him they were moving together. She is trying to keep Clark out of the loop, which is kind of a strange to do. Sure it's not really his business and there's no arguing that he doesn't react the right way, but why would she be purposely avoiding to tell the guy she calls a few times on panel "her best friend" about her relationship?
    "Random booty call" is an hyperbole, but the idea behind it wasn't a lie: as far as he knew, the guy was "just a friend".
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

"Random booty call" is an hyperbole, but the idea behind it wasn't a lie: as far as he knew, the guy was "just a friend".
    If Clark viewed Jon as "just a friend" prior to Superman #13/14, then why did he refer to him as Lois' "current beau" in Superman #11? It seems to me, as far as Clark knew, Jon wasn't just a friend at that point.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

All Clark needs is a good prostitute. To hell with relationships.

Wam, Bam, Thank You Mam... Now back to catching the bad guys.

If Clark viewed Jon as "just a friend" prior to Superman #13/14, then why did he refer to him as Lois' "current beau" in Superman #11? It seems to me, as far as Clark knew, Jon wasn't just a friend at that point.
    Because they are together, that's fact he knows. But being with someone doesn't mean it's serious. Moving with him, however......
    Actually, think about what exactly Clark is saying: Lois basically tells him "hey, I'm your best friend, that won't change", and what Clark answers is "funny. AS YOUR BEST FRIEND, I would have expected you to tell me......". The argument he's making isn't even about Lois moving with Johnattan, it's about her not telling him. What he's saying is "you know, for someone who is supposed to be your best friend, I have no idea what's going on in your personnal life, despite the fact we keep seeing each other".
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    All Clark needs is a good prostitute. To hell with relationships.

Wam, Bam, Thank You Mam... Now back to catching the bad guys.
    I wonder if Clark can catch sexual diseases?

I wonder if Clark can catch sexual diseases?
    Let's hope not. It would be kinda hard to get to that burning itch in that suit he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Let's hope not. It would be kinda hard to get to that burning itch in that suit he has.
    oh Man you just put the Image in my head of superman using Zoom-Vision and Heat Vision to Kill Crabs on his crotch lol

Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

Because they are together, that's fact he knows. But being with someone doesn't mean it's serious. Moving with him, however......
    Actually, think about what exactly Clark is saying: Lois basically tells him "hey, I'm your best friend, that won't change", and what Clark answers is "funny. AS YOUR BEST FRIEND, I would have expected you to tell me......". The argument he's making isn't even about Lois moving with Johnattan, it's about her not telling him. What he's saying is "you know, for someone who is supposed to be your best friend, I have no idea what's going on in your personnal life, despite the fact we keep seeing each other".
    As far as this story goes Clark and Lois are not speaking to each other as often because of what is going on in the company. Their friendship is out of sorts. Lois admits that much at the beginning of their conversation in this issue. So it is not odd that she did not tell him what is going on with her boyfriend.

But even if Jon was a booty call at the beginning of his relationship with Lois, or if his relationship with Lois flipped around from booty call to love of her life, does it matter? She's a grown woman. It's a bit hard to view Clark's concern with why Lois has chosen to move in with Jon as unselfish because as readers we know he still holds a flame for her. And as readers we have been given no indication that Jon is a bad guy. So when he brings up the fact that she did not tell him about how things were going with Jon, it feels like he did it to win points in an argument. Even he was taken aback by what he said. Add on that the only reason why he knows is that he spied on her...Well you can't argue that someone is being a bad friend after doing something like that. Not telling your best friend every detail of your romantic life pales in comparison to spying on them. Maybe she would have told him in her own time, maybe not, but being a best friend does not mean that you are owed every detail of your best friends life.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 12-03-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    oh Man you just put the Image in my head of superman using Zoom-Vision and Heat Vision to Kill Crabs on his crotch lol
    Glad I left you with a lasting image to make your day go by better.

Certified Mar-Vell Zombie Comet Man's Avatar

I loved this issue. I'm really enjoying Superman now that Lobdell has taken over, and the art is just breathtaking. Makes Superman look like the legendary Demi-God he is. H'el is the perfect foe for Supes, too. More than a match for him.

Please stay on this book, Mr. Lobdell. Stay on it for a long time. Keep it going in a good direction, keep it refreshing, and keep making Superman great again.
    I seriously miss Captain Mar-Vell.