Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Superman, #14

You werent even discussing anything you were just saying what I already know.

I was disagreeing with the idea Superman was being a jerk unnecessarily, countering that I thought he had good reason to act the way he acted toward H'el. That's adding to the discussion. If it meant nothing to you fine, I'm not pretending I was dropping a bunch of knowledge on you or anyone else, just adding my two cents; just don't get why you're so standoffish all the time.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-28-2012 at 10:43 PM.

I'm trade waiting this storyline and just reading Action on a monthly basis ATM. But its fun reading everyone's comments on the event so far.

Maybe I'm brain-dead or maybe it happened in books I didn't read but who are the others who tried to ingratiate themselves with Superman by claiming to be long-lost survivors of Krypton? I'm thinking he wasn't including Kara since the implication seemed to be the others were lying, but I'm drawing a blank for other times this has come up in the new-52.

No there's nothing wrong with you, we haven't seen that yet. Same as we haven't seen whatever happened to Suicide Slum 3 years ago. Perhaps those are hints toward the final issues of Morision's run on Action, or maybe stuff Lobdell himself wants to explore later.

Infme et fier de l'tre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Maybe I'm brain-dead or maybe it happened in books I didn't read but who are the others who tried to ingratiate themselves with Superman by claiming to be long-lost survivors of Krypton? I'm thinking he wasn't including Kara since the implication seemed to be the others were lying, but I'm drawing a blank for other times this has come up in the new-52.
    I think it's only a case of "Superman had lots of adventures during his 5 years that we haven't seen". At least, that's how I instinctively took it (Lobdell seems to kinda like doing that).
    Unless it didn't happenn in the Superman books themselves, I don't think we saw any of this.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    I think it's only a case of "Superman had lots of adventures during his 5 years that we haven't seen". At least, that's how I instinctively took it (Lobdell seems to kinda like doing that).
    Unless it didn't happenn in the Superman books themselves, I don't think we saw any of this.
    Ok, I Thought maybe I had missed something. Man I miss a continuity where referenced things had actual stories to go with them.

Infme et fier de l'tre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Ok, I Thought maybe I had missed something. Man I miss a continuity where referenced things had actual stories to go with them.
    Meh, I honestly don't mind, to tell you the truth. Especially here since, well, he's not refering to much, just that it's not the first he heard the "I'm from Krypton too buddy" line. It can even be seen as Lobdell admitting the idea is far from new.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    Damn... Those 2 need to get together. It's like the Key Master and the Gate Keeper.
    Egon said you shouldn't get those 2 together...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

The Good
    The art-as always.

Suprised at this but Lobdells characterisation of Hel makes him different than the usual kryptonian villain-i like it.

Lois is better characterised here than before so thats a plus.However her character needs some further work
    Lobdells dialogue is lot more tolerable.

The Bad
    I do not buy this lois being the most amazing woman Clark has met without showing what makes her amazing-see the smallville comic for example.Heck I dont buy Clark liking this lois-see smallville comic for how its done right.

I have to say though I hate the fact that Clark has no close human relationship.This is so unsupermanlike-he isnt Batman!Unlike in Action comic Jim olsen is his best friend, bro whilst in this comic Jimmy is just an annoying mooch that Clark barely tolerates.Lois and clark may say that he they are best friends but from waht i can see they are friends grown apart.This Loner Clark just pisses me off.Also Jealousy doesnt look Good on clark.And yeS I found his antagonistic attitude to HeL uncalled for

Something needs to be done about Supermans collar.He needs to loose that high collar seriously.Its the one blip in an otherwise perfect costume.I HATE HIGH COLLAR!

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Egon said you shouldn't get those 2 together...
    Egon is old and fat now. To hell with Egon. :)

Overall, I enjoyed this issue. I like H'el more than I thought I would. Reading Superboy, I got a brief introduction to H'el before this issue, when he captures Superboy. It seems to me that H'el has some additional mental powers that the other kryptonians don't have. Perhaps from his accidents as a test pilot, if his story is to be believed. H'el can block himself from the perceptions of everyone else. He pulls Superboy out of thin air, which Superman assumes is super speed. I think it was more of a mental ability myself. H'el's motivation seems interesting. I like his personality and how he approached Superman like a big brother. Fun stuff.

What I didn't care for too much was Superman in this issue. Rather than trying to piece together what's actually going on, he becomes dismissive and starts mouthing off. I think Lobdell is confusing "brash" and "crusader" with "childish" and "jerk", in the personality that Morrison is building over in action. This just didn't seem like the Superman we've seen in Action or even the earlier issues of Superman. Clark was a jealous child to Lois and then a mouthy child to H'el. Lois was at least redeemed a little for me. She came over to Clark's place ready to talk about what happened and why she's made the decisions she's made. Then Clark sidetracks her with jealousy and immaturity. I had a hard time cheering for Superman in this issue.

I actually thought the Clark / Lois interaction was the best part of this issue. It's the whole H'el thing that I'm already tried of.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    This is a character who cannot tell that her best friend looks exactly like Superman with a pair of glasses on.
    I think Lois knows Clark is Superman in the New 52. She obviously knew in the earlier issues. The cosplay comment was to give Clark an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post
    I think Lois knows Clark is Superman in the New 52. She obviously knew in the earlier issues. The cosplay comment was to give Clark an excuse.
    I think she might too.

But one problem I saw with Clark being portrayed is that he had exactly the same Superman haircut when he was being Clark. Which is why I assumed she knew, but I dont know. After the whole Supergirl thing seems like she doesnt.

They should atleast have the decency to give him a different hair style as part of the identity thing. I also notice he always has stubble too.