Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Superman, #14

Well that was really very good.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

H'el utterly embarrassed superman.
    Superman:"I'm a newspaperman; I'll take a vacation when I die."

Infme et fier de l'tre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

A bit disapointed Superman didn't react in anyway to the name H'El.
    But it was pretty neat. One thing I like about Lobdell is that his writing doesn't take itself too seriously, and there are some funny moments in this that made my day. Say what you want about his Clark Kent, but his ability to take the lamest excuse available and to run with it so fast the rest of us have no choice but to accept it make him a worthy successor of more classic takes on the character.
    The H'El thing is starting to get a bit more precise, and I must admit I'm pleasantly surprised. What seemed to look like a lame Broly wannabe works actually pretty well. We don't know how much of his story is true or, maybe more to the point, how much of it he believes it to be true, but they are some possibilities here. I'm curious about all the powers he have, though. I wonder how come? Has he been genetically modified before finding himself in space, with exposure to a yellow sun augmenting his modified abilities? One thing for sure: he is one tough cookie. But I think Superman managed to lose without looking like a weakling, and generally speaking, I like the voice Lobdell gives him.
    Maybe it will be an acceptable crossover after all.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Hey guys, just picked up Superman #14 and love the whole H'el idea since I understand the whole "New 52 Bizarro" thing and Bizarro is my favorite villain, but due to money restraints, can I follow "H'el On Earth" in just the Superman title and not the crossover? I get kind of weird when I can't get other titles the story runs in haha.

You understood this issue, right? Looks like it'll largely function individually, with at least summaries of waht is going on previously.

That is the big advantage to Lobdell's expository sort of writing. It all gets spelled out, every issue. I've read the previous two, but even if I hadn't I would have understood the basics of what was going on here; from the perspective of just reading this issue, Superboy got captured off panel as he was going to see a friend, Supergirl got approached off panel and convinced to give H'el a chance.

Very reasonable.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Yeah, Lobdell does an excellent job when it comes to smoothness to the story. I'll follow it through the Superman Title for the time being but if I have to go back and dig into the Superboy and Supergirl titles, then I'll see what I can do. That said, MAN, DAT ART! Gorgeous.

BANNED

Yeah that is the upside to Lobdell's exposition.

I don't know. Back in 2011, I was psyched to see the new Superboy meet Superman, but they've changed the character to the point I don't care.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

So did Clark walk in on Lois and Diana?

BANNED

No...just look at the preview.

I loved Superman's reaction to H'El. He was distrustful but willing to peacefully hear him out until he threatened to kill Superboy. Do not threaten to murder a child in front of Superman unless you want a serious beat down.

Metal Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    No...just look at the preview.
    Damn... Those 2 need to get together. It's like the Key Master and the Gate Keeper.

Fun issue. Good character voices. I've never hated a bit of expository stuff or narration in a Superman book, and H'El is proving more interesting than I thought he would. There's still a level of All-Star Superman-as-template going on here, of course that itself used a lot of the classic Silver Age premises and just took them seriously. And so we have a classic trope of a Kryptonian astronaut finding himself here on Earth, and affected by strange cosmic forces. The real question is; despite Superman being on Earth, and Kara having arrived recently on Earth ... what force actually drew this guy to Earth?

It was Brainiac that found Earth for Kal-El and it wasn't until he neared this vicinity. So how did everyone else end up here? (I feel like Supergirl covered this, but I can't remember the exact bit.)

Other than that, I liked that I could pretend that Superboy's New 52 storyline barely exists, at the fringes of my thoughts. The novel fact that we get to see a younger Clark deal with clones and how he phrases it is pretty fun.

Luthor! That should be awesome. And what happened three years ago in Suicide Slum? Something to do with Luthor? Doomsday?
    "Everything hs changed. Dark entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, Zibarro crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Yeah I think aesthetically this is the perfect Superman. It's kind of the All Star/Silver Age Superman, but through the contemporary lens Rocafort's dynamic art. Lobdell's flaws with exposition actually work with Superman, given the character's history of Silver Age hokeyness.

It looks like Supergirl will be more antagonistic still because of H'El, and Superboy is going to grow close to Kal. Which I suppose is fine, but I really wanted the Superboy from the early issues of his book to meet Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Yeah I think aesthetically this is the perfect Superman. It's kind of the All Star/Silver Age Superman, but through the contemporary lens Rocafort's dynamic art. Lobdell's flaws with exposition actually work with Superman, given the character's history of Silver Age hokeyness.

It looks like Supergirl will be more antagonistic still because of H'El, and Superboy is going to grow close to Kal. Which I suppose is fine, but I really wanted the Superboy from the early issues of his book to meet Superman.
    So let me ask, Is Superboy becoming more like Conner Kent then Kon El ?

Man what amazing art and a good read. And I agree with what an earlier poster said about the writing not taking itself too serious. Cough Batman cough. Its fun. Can Rocafort stay on forever?