Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Superman, #14

Quote Originally Posted by Rainzo View Post
    I really don't get this. They may eventually end up together and I can't remember Lois ever being attracted to Clark till she learnt he was Superman. I think Scott is telling a pretty good Superman story and good stories take time to build.
    Not accurate. On Lois and Clark and Smallville, Lois dated and loved Clark before she knew he was Superman. In the Post-Crisis era, Lois accepted Clark's marriage proposal before she knew he was Superman. It is simply not true to say Lois has never been attracted to Clark until she learned he was Superman. On Smallville, neither Superman nor Clark's proto-hero, The Red-Blue Blur, existed before Lois confessed her love for Clark. Also, just for clarification, during the Pre-Crisis era, Clark Kent really was a mask. Superman was the real deal, so to speak. It makes no sense to me to require Lois to fall in love with a charade.

Y'know, this preview actually makes me interested in reading Superman, and I'm enjoying the ideas of a Clark Kent who does have some attitude and a bit of the more relatable thing going on. I do question why it is we have both narrative boxes and though ballons; the former look more sleek and modern, conserve space and can be used creatively (like their handwritten, disjointed, or colorful) while the latter take up more space, look old-fashioned, and generally require more facial reaction shots to work.

Count me among those who think that the decison to split the marriage was stupid and the Wonder Woman relationship a needless case of pandering to parts of the fanbase. But also count me among those who believe the main problem with the idea is the overall concept, while the execution has been inconsistent, but favoring Lobdell here for the moment. The creation of Jonathon Carrol was ill-thought; the character's more plot-device than supporting antagonist because so far we've seen nothing that really makes him interesting, and he's got a devil's fork to his character: If he's a heel, why the heck is Lois seeing him? If he's a nice guy, than he's doomed. If the character was Ron Troupe, a younger Professor Hamilton, or even Jimmy Olsen, there'd be more substance to the romance arc.

I will give props to Lobdell for writing this scene with more human elements involved and a surprisingly natural voice for the characters (something also observed in RHATO but missing from Teen Titans), and now I really want to hear a story about the hypothermia at 40,000 feet. But having Clark spying on her is still a really stupid idea- it comes off as obsessive ans stalkerish. However, this was carried over from the previous issues in this comic, and it could have a pay-off. I just hope that when someone inevitable retells a story like this they can avoid creating doomed caricatures in place of characters.

love, Love, LOVE IT!

Seriously, this is the best Superman has been in years. Thank you Scott and Kenneth.

I just really like the fact that here, Clark is not intimidated by Lois' big bad mouth, like some of his earlier incarnation. You tell em' Clark! Don't spill about WW though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus View Post
    I just really like the fact that here, Clark is not intimidated by Lois' big bad mouth, like some of his earlier incarnation. You tell em' Clark! Don't spill about WW though.
    I don't recall a single version of the Superman myth in which Clark was legitimately intimidated by Lois Lane's assertive flair. If anything, Clark's been shown repeatedly to love that side of her. Most of the time, if Lois did mouth off at Clark, it was because he deserved it for being unreliable, deceitful, cowardly, or just flat out insensitive. Also, someone with a "big bad mouth" is someone who talks a lot about themselves and who is terrible at keeping secrets; neither description quite fits Lois Lane, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    I don't recall a single version of the Superman myth in which Clark was legitimately intimidated by Lois Lane's assertive flair.
    Thank you. These people never read a Superman comic in their life and are coming to all sorts of conclusions.

And usually when she says her snappy comebacks its part of her personality and taken in jest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher-Z View Post
    And usually when she says her snappy comebacks its part of her personality and taken in jest.
    Lines can be drawn between being charismatic or a snob. Personally I was never enthralled by her try-hard charm that, most often than not, fails miserably.
    Last edited by Nocturnus; 11-27-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Lines can be drawn between being charismatic or a snob. Personally I was never enthralled by her try-hard charm that, most often than not, fails miserably.
    Youve Never watched or read Smallville?Because They potray her charm quite wonderfully.
    Last edited by Zionite1; 11-27-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Infme et fier de l'tre Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Well, it mostly depend on the writing. When she's well done, she's an assertive person with a snappy personality. When she's not, she's an annoying ass who spends her time complaining about everything and everyone and who thinks she's better than all.
    Come to think of it, even when she's well written, she often has that aspect of her personality. She's the type of person who goes to their boss' office, takes the newspaper, and criticize every.single.thing said boss (and we're talking about Perry White so hardly a rookie or an incompetent) did for this edition. One of the reasons he decided to keep her during that scene was, after all: "where would I hide the body?".
    Lois Lane: so great people just want to kill her.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

Quote Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
    Never watched or read Smallvill.They potray her charm quite wondefully.
    I have to admit it did.

I don't recall a single version of the Superman myth in which Clark was legitimately intimidated by Lois Lane's assertive flair.
    Another YES, thank you from me

I don't recall a single version of the Superman myth in which Clark was legitimately intimidated by Lois Lane's assertive flair. If anything, Clark's been shown repeatedly to love that side of her.
    This. And even when Clark has been portrayed at his most meek and mild, it's a disarming form of humility when it comes to Lois. Which, of course, gets under Lois' skin as she's not used to being treated like this, and thus makes her more curious and fascinated about him.
    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Well, it mostly depend on the writing. When she's well done, she's an assertive person with a snappy personality. When she's not, she's an annoying ass who spends her time complaining about everything and everyone and who thinks she's better than all.
    I've read everything from the Golden, Silver, Bronze, Iron, and New 52 ages. I've read every Elseworld and graphic novel. I watched nearly every episode of Max Fleischer's cartoons and The Adventures of Superman. I've seen every Reeve/Kidder film, Singer's film, Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and Smallville. The kind of behavior you're talking about is extraordinarily rare. Characterization like that only pops up when Lois is being written by poor writer. It's not the norm.

Come to think of it, even when she's well written, she often has that aspect of her personality. She's the type of person who goes to their boss' office, takes the newspaper, and criticize every.single.thing said boss (and we're talking about Perry White so hardly a rookie or an incompetent) did for this edition. One of the reasons he decided to keep her during that scene was, after all: "where would I hide the body?".
    Lois Lane is an intelligent, creative, and savvy journalist. Perry may be experienced, but he's not perfect. I suspect the reason he admires, loves, and respects Lois as a journalist and as a human being is because she'll stand up for what she believes is right no matter who her opponents might be.

Lois Lane: so great people just want to kill her.
    Perry also had a list of reasons why Lois was wonderfully indispensable that had nothing to do with where to hide her corpse.

I've read everything from the Golden, Silver, Bronze, Iron, and New 52 ages. I've read every Elseworld and graphic novel. I watched nearly every episode of Max Fleischer's cartoons and The Adventures of Superman. I've seen every Reeve/Kidder film, Singer's film, Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and Smallville. The kind of behavior you're talking about is extraordinarily rare. Characterization like that only pops up when Lois is being written by poor writer. It's not the norm.

Lois Lane is an intelligent, creative, and savvy journalist. Perry may be experienced, but he's not perfect. I suspect the reason he admires, loves, and respects Lois as a journalist and as a human being is because she'll stand up for what she believes is right no matter who her opponents might be.

Perry also had a list of reasons why Lois was wonderfully indispensable that had nothing to do with where to hide her corpse.
    -Well, I did say it depends on the writing didn't I? Let us agree on what "extraordinary rare", and we're talking.

-Yep, Perry's not perfect.....and neither is Lois. Regardless of the vaue of her complains, this kind of thing is the proof that she thinks highly of herself. And yes, arrogance is a trait I can see annoying people, be it in universe and in the readership. And as much as I do believe Perry respects Lois, I wouldn't say he "admires" her. Perry White is generally portrayed as the Lois Lane of his generation. He knows the tricks, he learned them the hard way. He recognises her value, sure. But I don't remember him ever stating he "admires" her, and I don't think he's really the type to admire his employees.

-Yeah, and they were about the same lengh as the reasons to fire her. Appart from the "where to hide her body" part of course. I think it's a pretty good description of Lois Lane. Good at her job, good person but far from nice. The kind of person who would leave a bad impression after a superficial encounter, but that you learn to respect/admire/like whatever.
    "I'm going to paraphrase Nietzsche, when you judge a work, the work judges you."

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

I think they should switch tactics and just have Lois get it on with Wonder Woman.

Talk about fanboys running out in record numbers to buy a book

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    I think they should switch tactics and just have Lois get it on with Wonder Woman.

Talk about fanboys running out in record numbers to buy a book
    Considering the big debate on the WW forum about wether or not Diana could/should be gay, that would be......an interesting move.