Default Looking for a particular comic book, need help please

I'm not sure where to post this question, because I don't know the publisher or comic book name, and I don't see a catch-all forum for comics.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a comic book I can remember reading in the early (1972+) to mid (1975-1977?) '70s. What I remember are the format of the comic, and two of the stories in the comic book. The format was similar to Marvel's "Weird Wonder Tales" in that it had several short stories in it, and they weren't specifically occult/horror. I've checked all the issues of "Weird Wonder Tales" in the Grand Comic Database, and none of the synopsis contained either of the stories I remember.

1. The first story I remember was about a little league baseball player who's arm got screwed up (accident, maybe?), so that he could throw very hard, and he started pitching in Major League Baseball until he was in an accident and his arm went back to normal (yes, this is similar to the movie Rookie of the Year, but I can't find any reference for that movie being based on a short comic story). In the last pane or two of the comic, the kid is walking by a football field when a football is thrown his way. He ends up punting the ball back, and it goes the length of the field :)

2. The second story was about a planet full of "flower children" where one or a few scientists determine that their planet is about to blow up. The scientist(s) try to warn the population, but they don't want to worry about it, and use some kind of ray on the scientist(s) to turn him/them into a "flower child." At the end, the planet blows up.

If anyone can think of a comic book title that might contain stories like the above, even if you don't know the stories, it might give me something to search on.

Thanks in advance :)

Quote Originally Posted by Scifibookguy View Post
    I'm not sure where to post this question, because I don't know the publisher or comic book name, and I don't see a catch-all forum for comics.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a comic book I can remember reading in the early (1972+) to mid (1975-1977?) '70s. What I remember are the format of the comic, and two of the stories in the comic book. The format was similar to Marvel's "Weird Wonder Tales" in that it had several short stories in it, and they weren't specifically occult/horror. I've checked all the issues of "Weird Wonder Tales" in the Grand Comic Database, and none of the synopsis contained either of the stories I remember.

1. The first story I remember was about a little league baseball player who's arm got screwed up (accident, maybe?), so that he could throw very hard, and he started pitching in Major League Baseball until he was in an accident and his arm went back to normal (yes, this is similar to the movie Rookie of the Year, but I can't find any reference for that movie being based on a short comic story). In the last pane or two of the comic, the kid is walking by a football field when a football is thrown his way. He ends up punting the ball back, and it goes the length of the field :)

2. The second story was about a planet full of "flower children" where one or a few scientists determine that their planet is about to blow up. The scientist(s) try to warn the population, but they don't want to worry about it, and use some kind of ray on the scientist(s) to turn him/them into a "flower child." At the end, the planet blows up.

If anyone can think of a comic book title that might contain stories like the above, even if you don't know the stories, it might give me something to search on.

Thanks in advance :)

Interesting question.

The first story is definitely from Champion Sports #1, I have a copy right here and just checked to make sure; the story is called "The Kid Who Beat the Oakland A's.". However, as the title of the comic implies, all the stories in it are sports related, so there's nothing in it like the second story you mentioned. I will check online and see if I can figure out where this story from Champion Sports might have been reprinted.

Someone has posted this entire story online here if you want to read it:

http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blo...akland-as.html

The GCD doesn't have any listing for this story being reprinted anywhere, so I am coming up blank so far on the second stor or what comic you may be thinking of that had both.
    Last edited by Scott Harris; 11-26-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    At last, Boy Comics finally gets its own website!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harris View Post
    Someone has posted this entire story online here if you want to read it:

http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blo...akland-as.html

The GCD doesn't have any listing for this story being reprinted anywhere, so I am coming up blank so far on the second stor or what comic you may be thinking of that had both.
    Wow, thanks! That's exactly the baseball story I remember!

I could've sworn both stories were in the same comic book, but it's possible I'm wrong. After all, it was almost 40 years ago that I read the stories. I just associate both stories as being from the same comic book, but if that's not the case, then I need to change my search. I was looking for the baseball story on GCD in "Weird Wonder Tales" but I should look for the second story again.
    Last edited by Scifibookguy; 11-26-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Told ya!
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

This sounds like one of the stories in Superman #236, "The Doomsayer"...the planet that blows up is Krypton:

http://www.comics.org/issue/24148/
    -JKC-
    Glorianna - Barbarian adventure! New page every Friday!

Thanks JKCarrier :) I don't remember Superman/Black Canary/Green Arrow being in the story, but since I read it 41 years ago, I guess that's not surprising.

I don't suppose the entire story is posted online, anywhere?

Thanks JKCarrier :) I don't suppose the entire story is posted online, anywhere?
    Doubtful. But it's reprinted here > http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...nite-nevermore
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

Thanks JKCarrier :) I don't remember Superman/Black Canary/Green Arrow being in the story, but since I read it 41 years ago, I guess that's not surprising.

I don't suppose the entire story is posted online, anywhere?
    The first and last pages are shown at this link.
    "We're Santa's elves, and we're here to tell you about ourselves!"--Summer and Eve