Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Todd McFarlane Gets Political With "Spawn"

"Spawn" creator and writer Todd McFarlane discusses directly tying in the results of the recent presidential election with the ongoing adventures of his two decade old series for "Spawn" #225.

Full article here.

I had feared the book being used for a lame political agenda push, so I'm glad to see McFarlane is actually doing something creative with the idea instead and not turning "Spawn" into a political soap box. ("Savage Dragon" could learn a thing or two from it.)
    Last edited by Michael24; 11-26-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    PULL LIST: Ghostbusters, Ghosted, John Carpenter's Asylum, Magnus: Robot Fighter, The Shadow, Star Mage, Star Wars, Thief of Thieves, Velvet, Wild Blue Yonder

Another reason not to read Spawn...
    Favorite books: All books by Valiant, Green Lantern, Batman, Aquaman, Invincible, Uncanny Avengers, Five Ghosts, and The Sixth Gun.

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

I dunno, I think I like the idea since it will add just a lil realism to the book by having the actual president in the book. However, I don't know if this is merely a gimmick or McFarlane being artistically creative and nothing more. With Larsen, it was easy, he was using his art to express his feelings/beliefs over a candidate, which I thought was handled very well and I believe true art is all about self expression, it isn't about worrying what the fans like or dislike. For example, I love the Cure because they always say that they make music that they want to make and if the fans like it, great.. if they don't.. oh well.

Tiny, Toony & Looney John Pannozzi's Avatar

Funny thing about that issue is that Cogliostro appears in it, but Neil Gaiman isn't mentioned in the legal indicia. And CBR's very own Pipeline recently pointed that the legal information in the Art of Todd McFarlane book claims that Gaiman is the sole owner of Angela, Domina, Tiffany, and all other Heaven's Warrior angel characters. Me thinks this is part of the deal that Todd and Neil made earlier this year (FYI, as part of that deal, TMP and Gaiman share the copyright to Spawn #9 & 26 and the Angela mini-series).

Maybe McFarlane has gained the creator rights to Cog but lost out Angela et al?

Anyway, im okay with this move. Just see how it goes i guess.

Though i do think things would have been better story-wise if Romney had won:

"We have spent years planning this and now we finally have our man in power and are ready to make our play! Bwahahaha!"
    "...you know the Obama administration has been in power for 4 years now right? Might wanna get a move on with the evil shenanigans."

Smile

It would be interesting if TM went back to the original cartoony type art that started the Spawn Franchise. This stuff about who Downing is et al... isn't very important... McFalane is always talking about the continuation of Spawn, putting it along side Batman, etc... but McFarlane himself is the problem, he's too close to his character. He needs to hand it off to someone then come back... when it has new life... Clive Barker did so with Hellraiser which he now controls in the amazing new Arc in the Hellraiser Comic Book with Boom... so you know that EGO is a really BIG problem in these areas!