Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member jackdaw53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,132

    Default Re-Reading Starman

    I've started re-reading James Robinson Starman run last night (only got through first four issues). Thought it would be fun to jot down a few thoughts on it, and ask for other people's views on series itself, and idea of re-reading favourite series in general.

    First up, this may sound daft but after reading comics for many years, its only in last couple of years that I've realised what tremendous pleasure you can get by re-reading comics.

    I read a lot of prose fiction, and the few times I've re-read favourite novels I've tended not to get much out of the re-read. In comics I pick up a lot of stuff I missed first time round, and if its a really good series enjoy the re-read more than the first read. Maybe because I remember and take in info in words, much more reliably than I take in pictures??

    What I tend to do is to try to get some related new material, and read that alongside the comics I'm re-reading. This time for example, I've got a few issues of the Roger Stern run on Starman, the new Shade limited series, Starman 81, Starman 1,000,000 and Starman/Congrilla.

    Re-reading the first 4 issues in the run, I'm tremendously impressed. Gripping action from the word go. And I'd not realised (from first reading) just how many future events (e.g. Starman 1950, journey into space) had been foreshadowed in the early issues. James Robinson must have given the long term planning of the series a massive amount of thought, and had a touching amount of faith that a minority hero would receive enough fan support to run and run.

    Finally, if you haven't read the series... this, for me, is top stuff... hard to think of many better long runs in mainstream super hero comics.

  2. #2
    Senior Member DaronK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,236

    Default

    I've been re-reading it as well (since my wife got me the first Omnibus), and have found that I like the series even more than I did before, and it was already my absolute favorite series.

    I've been surprised by how well it holds up, and at all the pieces Robinson put in place from the get go. Great stuff!

  3. #3

    Default

    I loved the series. I think I maybe the only guy in the universe who thinks Jack made a mistake at the end of the series by hanging up his jacket, goggles and cosmic rod. To me, by the end of the series he had just come into his own and really became the hero he was meant to be.
    ASM, ELEKTRA, SILVERSURFER, DAREDEVIL, MOONKNIGHT, SHEHULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, MM, INVINCIBLE, INVINCIBLEU, MANHATTAN PR, E OF W, BLACKSCIENCE, BEDLAM, VELVET, TWD, SAGA, Mignolaverse, MASSIVE, MIND MGMT

  4. #4
    Prostitution Whores! Talisman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Aniana, Symkaria
    Posts
    29,545

    Default

    My absolute favorite Robinson work. His Shade series was amazing as well. I hope his Earth 2 stuff can capture the magic he did with this series. If you changed this to a Starman (Robinson era) from the beginning thread, I wouldn't hate you. Hell, I'd even throw in my 2 cents.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

    Top Ten Magic Bitches

  5. #5

    Default

    About James Robinson's Starman... What is it that makes it work so well? For me I love dense characters and razor Sharp dialogue. I could read about two characters in a diner drinking coffee if the dialouge was good.

    Will I enjoy this book?

  6. #6
    Senior Member jackdaw53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WolfOfMibu1991 View Post
    About James Robinson's Starman... What is it that makes it work so well? For me I love dense characters and razor Sharp dialogue. I could read about two characters in a diner drinking coffee if the dialouge was good.

    Will I enjoy this book?
    For me, its one of the two best DC mainstream series in last 30 years. Particularly strong on character development... not just Jack Knight himself, but a load of others such as his dad Ted (who proves you can still move on at grand old age of 80), the O'Dares, The Shade, Charity and others. The same amount of thought is given to making Opal city a real place.

    Given your description of what you like... I'd be really surprised if you didn't like this book.

  7. #7
    Senior Member jackdaw53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    My absolute favorite Robinson work. His Shade series was amazing as well. I hope his Earth 2 stuff can capture the magic he did with this series. If you changed this to a Starman (Robinson era) from the beginning thread, I wouldn't hate you. Hell, I'd even throw in my 2 cents.
    Why don't we? I'd certainly like that.

  8. #8
    Senior Member jackdaw53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    I loved the series. I think I maybe the only guy in the universe who thinks Jack made a mistake at the end of the series by hanging up his jacket, goggles and cosmic rod. To me, by the end of the series he had just come into his own and really became the hero he was meant to be.
    I like the fact that he retired. But I also like the "out" James R left himself for 1 final adventure at the end of the book. Can't remember exact dialogue but something like:-

    Jack: Will I be Starman again?
    Charity: Maybe....
    Jack: For Opal?
    Charity: For the memory of your father...

    That's one mini series I'd buy. And just for once, would love to see Jack don the green and red for final battle.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackdaw53 View Post
    For me, its one of the two best DC mainstream series in last 30 years. Particularly strong on character development... not just Jack Knight himself, but a load of others such as his dad Ted (who proves you can still move on at grand old age of 80), the O'Dares, The Shade, Charity and others. The same amount of thought is given to making Opal city a real place.

    Given your description of what you like... I'd be really surprised if you didn't like this book.
    Just ordered omnibus 1. What intrigues me about this book and how it really strikes my fancy, is how the main character has a dad who just belittles him cause he does not meet his image. This strikes me on a HUGE personal level. My dad being a pastor he always looked down on me and degraded me. I chose different path in life and even took passion in Boxing which he has only just now learn to accept.
    So me and the main character have much in common so I feel this will hit me on a emotionally grounded level as well as a leisure entertainment level.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackdaw53 View Post
    I like the fact that he retired. But I also like the "out" James R left himself for 1 final adventure at the end of the book. Can't remember exact dialogue but something like:-
    Most people do and honestly, I understand why (and in general I love the series)... There's a lot of merit in being there for his family. In a lot of ways it's certainly the most reasonable, especially with the whole Mist / Starman thing throughout the series. How Jack's choice let me down was this; his dad was scientist, superhero and a father. Yes, he was flawed father but Ted also did all kindsa amazing stuff. There was an element of danger his family would be put in but at the same time that element would have always been there, just not directed towards the Knights. But... of course, the danger's still out there, Jack just kinda passes the buck on stopping it to someone else instead of stepping up.
    ASM, ELEKTRA, SILVERSURFER, DAREDEVIL, MOONKNIGHT, SHEHULK, FANTASTIC FOUR, MM, INVINCIBLE, INVINCIBLEU, MANHATTAN PR, E OF W, BLACKSCIENCE, BEDLAM, VELVET, TWD, SAGA, Mignolaverse, MASSIVE, MIND MGMT

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Nomads1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
    Posts
    7,571

    Default

    While not as great a Robinson Starman fan as many (I mostly have the paperbacks. All of them, but Stern's Will Payton will always have a soft spot in my heart), I have to say this is a very good series. I personally liked it more in the last half or so of it, when Jack goes into space and Grand Guignol is IMHO a phenomenal read. However, the first arc, of course is also fantastic.

    Peace

  12. #12

    Default

    I've only read the first issue but it's on my reading list.
    BB

  13. #13
    Elder Member dupersuper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    30,918

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    While not as great a Robinson Starman fan as many (I mostly have the paperbacks. All of them, but Stern's Will Payton will always have a soft spot in my heart)
    Well, Will was in the series to...merged with Gavyn...then Gavyn turned bad in the Starlin minis...no idea if Will was still merged with him or if they'd been separated in an untold story or if the Throne World wizard was right and Gavyn just had dead Wills memories even though Ted and David couldn't find Will in the afterlife...I'm beginning to understand why Robinson retired Jack safely away at the end of the book.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

  14. #14
    Senior Member Volkditty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    I read the whole series for the first time last year after starting Robinson's The Shade miniseries. It's a great series and really holds up without showing its age. One of the things I most enjoyed about it was that it's not just about Jack Knight as Starman, but the concept and legacy of Starman as a title. How Ted acted as Starman, how that differs from Jack, or Mikaal, or Will Payton, what the Starman legacy has meant in the past and will mean in the far future. It also has a wonderfully well-rounded supporting cast, with Shade, the O'Dares, various Golden Age and contemporary characters who have a cameo. Even Opal City itself plays a vibrant role in the story and becomes as important to the role of Starman as Gotham is to Batman.
    Be a fan of the creators, not the characters.

  15. #15
    Senior Member jackdaw53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WolfOfMibu1991 View Post
    Just ordered omnibus 1. What intrigues me about this book and how it really strikes my fancy, is how the main character has a dad who just belittles him cause he does not meet his image. This strikes me on a HUGE personal level. My dad being a pastor he always looked down on me and degraded me. I chose different path in life and even took passion in Boxing which he has only just now learn to accept.
    So me and the main character have much in common so I feel this will hit me on a emotionally grounded level as well as a leisure entertainment level.
    The family dynamics are well done, I think. I can certainly relate to the constant bickering between the two brothers as they grow up. Would post a fair bit more on subject... but clearly don't want to spoil read for you (and others on thread), as you're about to read series for first time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •