Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else miss people like Infantino and Kirby?

Their art styles were so unique, and I LOVE when some new young artist is able to replicate that style. I'd buy an issue of Flash if they got someone to--even for one issue--bring back Infantino's style, wavy speed lines and all.

I was always fascinated with Kirby but as a kid I hated Infantino's art. Now I miss those days and would love to see the modern version of the character drawn that way, at least once.

Most of the visual language we have in superhero comics is still Kirby, and there are definitely Kirby pastiches every year, if not every month, and there is a new one nearly every month. Infantino, too, left us some visual cues and techniques that are still employed. Artists have moved the speedlines to subjective positioning, yeah, and currently you see lightning or objects caught in the wake of, say, the Flash, to show speed and direction, but that lightning tends to basically trace the that trajectories as speedlines, do the same job and only appear naturalistic, while speedlines were an obvious cartooning cue.

The Kirby and Infantino presence is still there, we've all just got used to it. The outright pastiches seem more about copying the flaws along with the gold, and appealing to nostalgia more than anything. (Not that there's anything wrong with a bit of that.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Their art styles were so unique, and I LOVE when some new young artist is able to replicate that style. I'd buy an issue of Flash if they got someone to--even for one issue--bring back Infantino's style, wavy speed lines and all.

I was always fascinated with Kirby but as a kid I hated Infantino's art. Now I miss those days and would love to see the modern version of the character drawn that way, at least once.
    God, yes. Those guys were real innovators. People who really knew how to use the art to tell the story. Particularly Kirby, a master storyteller if ever there was one.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I liked the way that Carmine Infantino used to draw cityscapes: they were 1960s futuristic. The way I reckon it, Central City's skyscrapers during the Silver Age must have all towered three to five miles above street level, and the area outside the city was paved flat with concrete for a radius of about twenty miles.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

I actually like Infantino a lot more than Kirby. Not that I dislike Kirby, but he is one of those guys where I respect what he has done, but his work doesn't really personally excite me that much. Infantino, on the other hand, was one of my favorites as a kid and still really inspires me.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Infantino drew the original Dial H for Hero. I had a love/hate relationship with his art when I was a kid.

These days, I most miss the styles of Gil Kane and Steve Ditko, instantly identifiable and one-of-a-kind. Also Barry Windsor-Smith, now that I think about it.
    “Wonder Woman is a lame superhero...She flies around in her invisible jet and her weaponry is a lasso that makes you tell the truth. I just don’t get it.” -- Megan Fox

I miss Infantino a lot. His second Flash run is to this day my favorite Flash run ever.

Classic Kirby and Infantino was amazing, but some of their very-late work seemed lacking.
    (Not sure how much of that was age and how much was inker mismatches or printing process limitations at that time.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Not me. I think Kirby's style was great for the early days of Marvel, and Infantino had a lot of influence on DC way back when, but I think both styles aged badly. Infantino's style in particular just seemed to me to get very sloppy. I much prefer styles along the lines of Perez, Lee, Reis, and Alan Davis.
    Current favorites: Claymore, Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Justice League, Birds of Prey

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

I have never read a comic drawn by Carmine Infantino and have only read a few Kirby comics (all DC).

Reading this thread makes me feel like I've missed out on a lot.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

BANNED

I've read very little of Infantino, but I can already see his influence on today's comics. Love the futuristic city landscapes. Alan Moore has cited that as an influence on Tom Strong's Millennium City in particular.

I've come to like Steve Ditko the most from that era. Actually, I've really come to love the Marvel bullpen of talent from the early 1960s.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

I've never been a big fan of Carmine Infantino, I didn't like the shape he gave people, especially their heads. For me, the definitive pre-Crisis Flash artist was Irv Novick.

Kirby of course, I've loved for years.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    I've never been a big fan of Carmine Infantino, I didn't like the shape he gave people, especially their heads. For me, the definitive pre-Crisis Flash artist was Irv Novick.

Kirby of course, I've loved for years.
    That's kind of ironic, because I don't even know what you're talking about in reference to any problem with Infantino's heads or body shapes, and one of the major reasons that Kirby has never really appealed to me, is that I find the way he draws shapes (particularly heads) to be kind of distracting and unappealing.

I'm not trying to challenge your POV, I just think it's funny that we dislike each other's preferred artist for the same reasons.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    That's kind of ironic, because I don't even know what you're talking about in reference to any problem with Infantino's heads or body shapes, and one of the major reasons that Kirby has never really appealed to me, is that I find the way he draws shapes (particularly heads) to be kind of distracting and unappealing.

I'm not trying to challenge your POV, I just think it's funny that we dislike each other's preferred artist for the same reasons.
    I do too, but if you look some of Infantino's Marvel work, especially the last few issues of the original Nova series you'll really see it. (At least I can't avoid it). But that's the good thing with taste, no one is wrong.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.