Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Masks, #1

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kent View Post
    Fantastic book. Loved it. It's a shame sales on First Wave at DC didn't allow for the series to keep going, but I think that won't be a problem at Dynamite.
    Didn't DC's First Wave series sort of warp those traditional characters, rather than portraying them consistant with how they previously been shown?

I saw a preview that made Commissioner Dolan seem a tad sleezier than I remember reading in the old stories.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Didn't DC's First Wave series sort of warp those traditional characters, rather than portraying them consistant with how they previously been shown?

I saw a preview that made Commissioner Dolan seem a tad sleezier than I remember reading in the old stories.
    No more so than what Dynamite has done with the Spider or many of the SUPERPOWERS characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Love View Post
    No more so than what Dynamite has done with the Spider or many of the SUPERPOWERS characters.
    But isn't Superpowers a different thing, set in more modern times?

I thought Masks was suppose to be in Golden Age era, which may make things a bit more like the original versions.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

BANNED

As much as Dynamite did with the Pulp characters they own.
    But yeah, some aspects of the Spirit were changed. Ebony White, for example, was made a woman and Dolan wasn't as much corrupt as he simply couldn't stand against the corruption.

Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar

i was looking forward to this for months and i wasn't disappointed.

can't wait to see The Black Bat.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

Man, issue #1 was just downright awesome and the ending of the book made me crave more out of this series! I wish Dynamite would do something like slap a logo on all of their pulpy stuff to separate it as a line all it's own, like an imprint or something.......that would be a neat way of clumping these books together in a semi-shared universe.

Amazing interior art helped this one too, I wish Ross was staying on for the whole thing but I'll take what I can get for now and remain excited for issue #2 to hit stands.

But isn't Superpowers a different thing, set in more modern times?

I thought Masks was suppose to be in Golden Age era, which may make things a bit more like the original versions.
    SUPERPOWERS starts off with the characters in the 40s and then brings them into the modern times. Along the way, they make a lot changes to the basic natures of the characters, some explained by the nature of the urn they were trapped in but others seemed just because they could such as beating the readers over the head with the pirate motif of the Black Terror which really misses the basic nature of the character. He's a pharmacist in real life, the skull & crossbones isn't a pirate reference, it's one of poison. Science based hero Captain Future turned into a mad Greek God, characters doing stupid things because dictated by the story (the whole rationale behind the Fighting Yank trapping heroes in the urn and the treatment of his ancestor make little story sense).

I'm holding out with MASKS being closer because of the setting, but we'll have to wait and see. The Spider in it is wearing the outfit from their series in the modern setting, so how much else they borrow from it and how will they play characters like the Green Lama (whose pulp adventures are not public domain) and the Black Terror? But, the point is that Dynamite has a record for changing the characters as much as DC did, selling us something called a hamburger, but only 30% of it is beef and the rest is tofu, chicken and turkey.

that is putting it mildly.

There were a lot of discussions about this series in other areas of this site while it was coming out.

Doc & aides were misused (JG Jones series was pretty much the best of the lot). The Avenger and his aides fared worse (seems the only people who like this series were the ones who had no idea of what these characters should have been like). The Blackhawks were altered, the Spirit, et al.

If writers want to do their own take on pulp characters, I'd rather they create their own (like Brubaker did with Incognito, which I enjoyed), then mess up classical characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    i was looking forward to this for months and i wasn't disappointed.

can't wait to see The Black Bat.
    Finally got to read this and I'm curious how he's going to be used, as we see Tony Quinn as a lawyer still with his eyesight so it's set in the time before he became the Black Bat. To work him in means that there is going to have to be some serious time skipped to give the first issue of his pulp to occur, or rewrite his origin story to tie into the events here, or have him become the Black Bat here before he lost his eyesight intending it to be a one time identity and job. Then the events of his pulp origin occur and he takes up the Black Bat identity again as a permanent identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Love View Post
    Finally got to read this and I'm curious how he's going to be used, as we see Tony Quinn as a lawyer still with his eyesight so it's set in the time before he became the Black Bat. To work him in means that there is going to have to be some serious time skipped to give the first issue of his pulp to occur, or rewrite his origin story to tie into the events here, or have him become the Black Bat here before he lost his eyesight intending it to be a one time identity and job. Then the events of his pulp origin occur and he takes up the Black Bat identity again as a permanent identity.
    My thoughts exactly.

For those who don't get it, Tony Quinn becomes the Black Bat over a several month period:

* at a trial, a criminal throws acid in his face, blinding him and leaving scarring around his eyes. (I've heard talk that they even thought of calling him The Tiger instead of the Black Bat).

* due to blindness, he retires as a DA, goes into seclusion.

* he is approached by the daughter of a slain police chief in another state, and says that a surgery using the slain chief's eyes will restore his eyesight.

* he does so in secret, and after the recovery its discovered he can see in the dark (an advantage the Black Bat has).

* now aided by 2 reformed criminals and the chief's daughter, Tony goes into action as the Black Bat. In real life, he pretends to still be blind, as he becomes a semi-official police consultant.

clearly, this would occur over a several month period.

Quote Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
    No.

The major ones so far, yes: Shadow, Spider, Green Hornet, Zorro.

But the secondary ones that will be appearing: Black Bat, Miss Fury, Black Terror, Green Lama, etc, no. (tho Black Terror and Green Lama was part of the Dynamite's "Project: Superhero", they haven't had anything from that in awhile).
    Thank you! :D