Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Masks, #1

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    I know this is kind off the topic, but can anyone recommend a good pulp novel to pick up for The Spider for a first time reader? I'm a big Shadow fan and looking to expand my horizons a bit. I know some of his books are really over the top. I'm looking for something that's not too outrageous (yet) to test the waters a little...
    I would say just jump in and get one of the Norvell Page Spiders.

This is, its the very earliest Spider which were not so much over the top. The first 2 by RTM Scott were kind of tame. When Page took over he soon developed the Spider to what we know.

When I really got into reading them, it was with the Carroll & Graf double novels, which are all over the series.

The Girasol doubles are easy to get. Sanctum Books will be doing a new series of double novels in January.

Fair enough. I tried to send a private message to not tie up this thread but apparently my account doesn’t have permission to do so yet (maybe my Noob status?)

Anyway, thanks for info. Let me ask you this, what is YOUR favorite Spider novel or If you had to tell someone just 1 or 2 what would it be? I only ask because sometimes they can expensive, not bank breaking but more than I’d like to spend on something that I might not like. Or do you think my best bet is to wait out and just grab the Sanctum reprints?

Fair enough. I tried to send a private message to not tie up this thread but apparently my account doesn’t have permission to do so yet (maybe my Noob status?)

Anyway, thanks for info. Let me ask you this, what is YOUR favorite Spider novel or If you had to tell someone just 1 or 2 what would it be? I only ask because sometimes they can expensive, not bank breaking but more than I’d like to spend on something that I might not like. Or do you think my best bet is to wait out and just grab the Sanctum reprints?
    Its been awhile since I've read any Spider novels, so nothing jumps out at me.

Not sure what you see as "bank breaking". The Girasol doubles are $14 for 2 novels, Sanctum will be the same. I think their subscription will be a little cheaper. Radio Archives has a sale on the early 4-5 Girasol Doubles for about half price or so.

Vintage Library is a great source for stuff, and they have the Carroll & Graf doubles for about $5. And PDFs for $5.

I would recommend avoiding the pulp replicas. they are more expensive at ~$30.

http://www.vintagelibrary.com/pulpfi.../TheSpider.php

Also, to keep up with new stuff coming from the "new pulp world" (pulp fiction, both new and reprints, pulp related comics, fanzines, shows, and more), check out Pulp Coming Attractions, which is updated weekly. The site also has links to new pulp publishers, sellers, and more.

http://www.pulpcomingattractions.com/

(its how I keep up on the various pulp-related comics from Dynamite and others).

Excellent, thanks for all your help!

I,ve decided to get this...but being in UK,I,m really keen to get one or two of the portrait covers.
    Anyone know a good international store for supply of these wicked looking books??

RALPH.

BANNED

For $17 you can read three of the best Spider novels: the Black Police trilogy. http://www.fighttheempirestate.com/
    Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Spider-VS-Empi...dp/0982095031/.

This was the original trilogy of pulp novels that Chris Roberson is adapting here in Masks, despite the fact that Dynamite didn't bother to give the original pulps or Norvell Page even a casual "thank you" or acknowledgement on their credits page. Given the stink he made when he stormed out of DC Comics, this seems a glaring oversight.

If you don't want to spend that much try http://www.radioarchives.com/ for a free ebook version of the Spider: Prince of the Red Looters by Norvell Page
    http://www.radioarchives.com/The_Spi...rs_p/re011.htm

Their ebooks are .mobi .pdf and .epub formats, so they'll work on any eReader or tablet.

All the characters of this mini serie has a personal Dynamite ongoing series?

Wow, that interior art is gorgeous.

Radio archives has dozens of Spider ebooks that are normally 3.99 but on sale for 2.99 right now.

http://www.radioarchives.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=128

They also put out 2 more every other week.

Quote Originally Posted by emmeemmeesse View Post
    All the characters of this mini serie has a personal Dynamite ongoing series?
    No.

The major ones so far, yes: Shadow, Spider, Green Hornet, Zorro.

But the secondary ones that will be appearing: Black Bat, Miss Fury, Black Terror, Green Lama, etc, no. (tho Black Terror and Green Lama was part of the Dynamite's "Project: Superhero", they haven't had anything from that in awhile).

Quote Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
    . . . But the secondary ones that will be appearing: Black Bat, Miss Fury, Black Terror, Green Lama, etc, no. (tho Black Terror and Green Lama was part of the Dynamite's "Project: Superhero", they haven't had anything from that in awhile).
    Who has the rights to Black Hood these days? And The Phantom?
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

And I buy 2 out of the 4 plus The Phantom as trades.

but I was wondering...seeing as there are some right knowledgable guys here....Have Batman and Green Hornet teamed up in the modern age in DC or other publications??

I,ve got Batman/Predator and Batman/Captain America.

But would love a really good Batman/Green Hornet team up :)

RALPH

Here are some oither interesting possibilities (from http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Pulp_Characters)

* Domino Lady

* Dr. Mystery

* X The Phantom Fed
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

* Phantom Detective, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ralphtown View Post
    And I buy 2 out of the 4 plus The Phantom as trades.

but I was wondering...seeing as there are some right knowledgable guys here....Have Batman and Green Hornet teamed up in the modern age in DC or other publications??

I,ve got Batman/Predator and Batman/Captain America.

But would love a really good Batman/Green Hornet team up :)

RALPH
    Aside from on the Batman TV show?

(They also had a much longer meeting / team-up in another episode.)