Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Ditto to Kaluta.

I can't believe I hadn't thought of Golden. He's done some of my favorite covers ever.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

I don't think it's about buying the book for the cover. It's about a cover making you pick up the book to look at and see if you will buy it.
    In today's world of pre-orders and previews that is not as relevant. Back when we bought books off the spinner racks, a captivating image or cover that told an engaging story would make us look at the book.

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    As a child I remember liking George Perez and Neal Adams etc but back then just having my fave superheroes on the cover was enough to make me buy them though some images seemed more iconic than others.
    So true. The first two comics I ever bought with my own money were this one--because it had Batman and Robin on the cover (by Infantino & Giella)--

--and this, because it called out to all Batman fans and not at all because of the Swan & Klein art on the cover--

--which in turn made me a a fan of Superman comics. So when I saw Superman on the cover of this comic--also by Swan & Klein--I had to have it--

--and that made me a fan of the Legion and Superboy. And so it goes.
    Last edited by An Ear In The Fireplace; 11-28-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    Paul Pope's stuff is so incredible, it's guaranteed every time.

His stuff is so Alex Toth-ish in a raw kind of manga-ish way.
    I recently picked up the hardcovers of 100% and Heavy Liquid and upon seeing his author photo, was struck by how much he looks like one of his characters!

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Pope is one of those guys whose style just doesn't do a thing for me. I'm sure he's great, but ... no, thanks.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Lots of my favorites have been listed, & for that matter a few of my favorite covers (by Infantino, Kubert & Cardy, as it happens) ever have been posted, but yeah, at today's prices the only time I'll ever buy a comic just for the front is if I find it at a deep discount.

I am a sucker for certain tribute covers, though the same skinflint approach applies.

Luckily, I was already buying the series regularly when this came out about 3 1/2 years ago ...

Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 11-28-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Yeah, I've never really understood the appeal of Pope either. But then, I haven't read Batman 100. Maybe after that I'll catch the bug.
    Anyway, it is cool for you to acquire acrimony of crumbling time on blast this website.
    --best spam ever

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Pope is one of those guys whose style just doesn't do a thing for me. I'm sure he's great, but ... no, thanks.
    I'll join in as well. I don't dislike him, but I don't get the love.

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    Ernie Chua (Chan) did loads of covers that burned in my childhood mind, hypnotizing me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	INCREDIBLE HULK 223.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	104996

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BATMAN 274.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	104997

I agree 1,000%!!!
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

Dave Stevens

Joe Madureira

Skottie Young

Klatuu... barada *cough* *cough*

|| [comiccover.de] || [marvelarchiv.de] || [comicshop.de] ||

"You can make me bleed
    You can make me cry
    You can make me fall
    You can make me live or die
    And I wonder how
    And you wonder why
    "
    www.tristania.com

Steve Lightle

--best spam ever

Lightle did some amazing Classic X-Men covers.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Barry Smith yet;

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

That Art Adams Hela is fing awesome. I think some of that is Hela too. I bought a Thor alternate cover for Hela by Romita, and I don't even care for his art. Adams however I haven't ever seen anything I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Lightle did some amazing Classic X-Men covers.

I agree. I never really was sold on his interior art but his covers are great. Especially when he draws gals, he's got a good sense of teasing poses. That's a good example you posted.

I don't think I've bought a cover because of the artists, but because of the cover itself. Like the Hulk ala Where The Wild Things Are I bought that someones already posted or this .... which happens to be the most awesome thing I've seen on a cover ...

"To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
    Ditto to Kaluta.

I can't believe I hadn't thought of Golden. He's done some of my favorite covers ever.
    He's actually the reason I started reading House of Mystery. I saw the later of the series which was a lot of I Dracula. His covers caught my eye and sold me before I even knew what was in it.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)