Thread: The First Born

Default The First Born

im fascinated by this character. does anyone have a theory as to who he may be? who was the first demi god in Greek myth?

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman4 View Post
    im fascinated by this character. does anyone have a theory as to who he may be? who was the first demi god in Greek myth?
    Robotman,

Have you had a chance to read #14?, In case you haven't,

spoilers:
    I thought they made clear that he's not a demigod, but a full god--the firstborn of Zeus and Hera. And he was wiped from history by Zeus and his brothers, meaning we've probably never heard his name. In fact, he may not even have a proper name; he was abandoned as an infant, and he calls himself the Nameless One (or the One Without a Name or something like that) in #13.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by slvn; 11-26-2012 at 04:28 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Robotman,

spoilers:
    I thought they made clear that he's not a demigod, but a full god--the firstborn of Zeus and Hera. And he was wiped from history by Zeus and his brothers, meaning we've probably never heard his name. In fact, he may not even have a proper name; he was abandoned as an infant, and he calls himself the Nameless One (or the One Without a Name or something like that) in #13.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    He called himself the Nameless One, the First Born, the Crippler of Souls.
    end of spoilers

I assume after he was cast out, Zeus eventually found him again resulting in his present location. Added I think he is a god of nature that did something to upset the balance between the mortal world and Olympus (either by helping or preying on mankind), which may explain why he's been lost and buried in a place where there are virtually no aggressive lifeforms to help him out (unless there happens to be killer penguins around).

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    spoilers:
    He called himself the Nameless One, the First Born, the Crippler of Souls.
    end of spoilers

I assume after he was cast out, Zeus eventually found him again...
    Or he "found" Zeus, having established a power base in nature and among his "tribes" that he mentions, and having prepared himself for a rebellion. Either way, he may never have been properly named, and even if he was, it's probably not a name that we know, since he was wiped from history.

BANNED

Or he "found" Zeus, having established a power base in nature and among his "tribes" that he mentions, and having prepared himself for a rebellion. Either way, he may never have been properly named, and even if he was, it's probably not a name that we know, since he was wiped from history.
    That is possible, but if he wasn't even given a name, chances are he didn't even know of Zeus before he was standing in front of him.

But I wonder, if he is not this horribly evil god and such; do you think he could be good company for Sicracca? :)

Veteran Member

That is possible, but if he wasn't even given a name, chances are he didn't even know of Zeus before he was standing in front of him.

But I wonder, if he is not this horribly evil god and such; do you think he could be good company for Sicracca? :)
    I imagine that some of the "wives" and "tribes" he mentions could have told him about Zeus and helped him figure out who he (the First Born) was. And of course, they must have called him something, but rather than what we might think of as a proper name, they might have called him things like the Nameless One, the Crippler of Souls, the Firstborn--in other words, there may not be a particularly definitive significant name that he hasn't already given us.

I think he might be inclined to learn the rest of the world's languages in one go by eating Siracca's head. :)

BANNED

I imagine that some of the "wives" and "tribes" he mentions could have told him about Zeus and helped him figure out who he (the First Born) was. And of course, they must have called him something, but rather than what we might think of as a proper name, they might have called him things like the Nameless One, the Crippler of Souls, the Firstborn--in other words, there may not be a particularly definitive significant name that he hasn't already given us.
    Well, that is true.
    I was just thinking he was a similar case to something that happened in NTT: Games, where Raven was faced with her older sister, who had gone insane and been locked away in Arkham, yet never been given a name and identity, which she got before she died. (Obviously the First Born isn't as unstable, but I do wonder if he has another name (the other ones are more like titles others have given him))

I think he might be inclined to learn the rest of the world's languages in one go by eating Siracca's head. :)
    Well, I wish him good luck with that, she could just turn intangible and fly away :)

Veteran Member

Well, that is true.
    I was just thinking he was a similar case to something that happened in NTT: Games, where Raven was faced with her older sister, who had gone insane and been locked away in Arkham, yet never been given a name and identity, which she got before she died. (Obviously the First Born isn't as unstable, but I do wonder if he has another name (the other ones are more like titles others have given him))

Well, I wish him good luck with that, she could just turn intangible and fly away :)
    Hmmm...I wonder if breathing her in would work? :)

Hey--I wonder if Demeter had a hand in raising the First Born; that would kind of fit the whole "nature becomes nurture" thing, it seems to me. And now Demeter is taking care of Zola's baby. Maybe the idea is that when the Firstborn and the Lastborn come together, it will be time for the final "harvest" of the Olympian patriarchy (a patriarchy which probably strikes Demeter as utterly absurd, since it's apparently driven by each patriarch--Uranus, then Kronus, then Zeus--trying to forestall his reign's inevitable end or "harvest").

BANNED

Hmmm...I wonder if breathing her in would work? :)
    Na, she'd just come out the other end as divine wind :)

What I think is awesome about the First Born's story is that it gives Hera greater motivation to kill the children Zeus has by other women.
    The Silver Age is best recreated by not repeating it.
    John Seavey

In Greek mythology when people talk about the "First Born" they refer to Phanes, one of the Protogonoi
    The generation of gods before the Titans. He was said to have received the throne as King of the gods
    And passed it on to Nyx or Ananke which in turn passed it to Uranus, then Chronus and then Zeus.