Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

When i was a kid my mom was angry at the A-Team because they never hit anyone for real.

When I was 10 or 11, "V" was still a big thing and they were publishing novels. Man, those things were FILLED with graphic sex, violence and swearing. Far beyond what you would have expected from the tv series or even the DC comic. I didn't tell my parents that though, and they kept buying them for me. Then I started reading things like Clive Barker, which should have been fairly obvious what was in those but I still didn't say anything.

I think the "naughtiest" comic I was reading at that point was Moore's "Swamp Thing" run.
    "There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and some day, they will. And that's how Sue Cs it."- Sue Sylvester, "Glee"

Well excuuuse me princess Mike Pothier's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    No it isn't. Nobody has the right to throw out someone else's property.
    If you are underage and living in your parents house, it most certainly is their right.
    Edit: I'm not saying it is always the ethical thing.
    Last edited by Mike Pothier; 11-30-2012 at 07:46 AM.
    Life is but a dream.

Meeps? MEEEEEEPS!

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pothier View Post
    Edit: I'm not saying it is always the ethical thing.
    Indeed. And people aren't going to agree about things like that.

I never did restrict what my daughter was exposed to, and wouldn't have even thought of ever telling her she couldn't read, see, or have something, unless there were other reasons. Obviously, if there was a significant chance of bodily harm, but otherwise, it would only have been as punishment for misbehaving. I've got no problem with a 12 year old reading all the horror novels that exist, Gor novels, and 50 Shades of Gray. I was reading similar things, heavily into Dungeons & Dragons (and there was nudity all over many of the rulebooks), listening to punk rock and heavy metal (and other things parents were screaming about) at that age.

But to each parent their own...
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

It was all a matter of wrong place at the wrong time, cause what I was reading was one of the more shocking parts of the book
    "dude, suckin' at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something" - jake

I remember when i was 16 and i wore a pretty racy Slayer T shirt to school and i asked my mother what she thought and she said "oh thats cute" sigh ! so much for rebellion !

Quote Originally Posted by Pro View Post
    When i was a kid my mom was angry at the A-Team because they never hit anyone for real.
    What an odd reason to get mad...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    I have a hard time believing it's different in Britain. Parents have the control of what their underage children possess, period. I do wonder where the line is, though.
    Well, I suspect that here it would be less cut and dried depending on the age of the "child" (a teenager would not really be regarded as a child in many respects, underage or not) and the nature of the possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    I know because thanks to Preacher, The Boys there is often misleading reputation for Ennis being that crude that it seems like some publishers want to cash in on. I rather read his violent stories that isnt pointless. For example i just bought Blood Mary trades, not his most subtle,best work but atleast interesting action future story drawn by the awesome Carlos Esquerra.
    Bloody Mary is alright, but it is Esquerra's art and the fact Ennis nukes Birmingham that makes it better than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    No it isn't. Nobody has the right to throw out someone else's property.
    Under the age of 16 you're still officially a child and under the custody of a parent or guardian who can do what they want as long as it's ethical and legal. If a bunch of jazz mags are found under some kiddies bed and a parent chucks them out then there's nothing the child can do about it. At 16 it becomes vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    ...heavily into Dungeons & Dragons (and there was nudity all over many of the rulebooks)...
    They seem to have phased that out at a really early stage then.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I'm probably a little bit old fashioned, but I'm with OP's mom on this one.

While I'm all for freedom of expression, something doesn't quite sit right with me when it comes to stuff like 'Crossed'. I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't exist, but I do have to wonder about the sort of person that actively enjoys reading something like that. From the creator's POV, it's existence makes perfect sense: it's a cathartic exorcize to expell negative emotion/impulse/thought. From a reader's standpoint, it makes no sense to me.

Were I to discover my child reading something like that, I would probably have flipped out too. It would have been followed up though with an apology for my reaction and attempts to understand why my child would be interested in such things.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    They seem to have phased that out at a really early stage then.
    Yeah... 2nd Edition, when they ditched the demons and devils for Tanar'ri and Baatezu.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    I thought he over did it in The Boys at times, i dont want to know what he can do with Crossed.
    Crossed is basically the furthest Ennis has ever gone and ever will go.

The Lapham and Delano Crossed: Badlands stories have gone further still, but they suck so there's probably a lesson here. (Simon Spurrier's on record as being a bit disappointed when people only want to talk about the gory bits in his Crossed story)
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    Crossed is basically the furthest Ennis has ever gone and ever will go.

The Lapham and Delano Crossed: Badlands stories have gone further still, but they suck so there's probably a lesson here. (Simon Spurrier's on record as being a bit disappointed when people only want to talk about the gory bits in his Crossed story)
    Yeah, I have read Crossed and I do like what Ennis did but I really didn't like Psychopath because the story just plain sucked ass. I have yet to dig into Delano's stuff yet.

There's definitely some bad stuff but you know, the covers are really bad(or rad) too. You can judge this book by it's cover, because it's cover usually has someone getting killed or thrown out of a plane or picking eyeballs out of a box.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!